Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Idea for Regulated Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 822 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by John7894
Kwik, I do know, but doesn't the pump shut off if the key is turned on and it has built pressure and the engine isn't yet fired? Maybe I'm just thinking about my gasser 5.0 still.

The fuel pump in the race car never shuts off. It might change tone as a little load is taken off but it never shuts off.

Everyone,

Our diesels have the same air intrusion problems that ANY fuel injected engine have. Gas engines have air in their injector rails too. It just doesn't effect them as bad as it does us. The right thing to do is to minimize the amount of air going in.

My suggestion was to plumb 2 lines from the front of the rails to a tee with an orifice and mount the tee up higher than the rails as to draw the air up into the tee then allow the fuel presure to push the air back to the tank.
That's exactly what I've done to my truck last year. I removed the factory steel lines, fed the heads at the rear port, exit at the front port, come up to a tee on top of the HPOP, through an oriface and from there to a tee on the fuel return line going back to the tank. That in combination with the Hutch mod and getting rid of all the quick connects from the tank to the fuel pump has completly eliminated any air in the fuel. It made a HUGE difference.

Pictures of it on Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/album/170683790Tiydwc

Old 04-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Additional thought. There's been a lot of discussion about this for a while here on FTE.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=260173

And in my search to provide you a link to some good posts involving pressure snubbers, I see that you have already read all that.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:47 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright Kwik, it's late and I'm retarded.......LOL!

I thought you had an aftermarket regulator on yours.....

Old 04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
That's exactly what I've done to my truck last year. I removed the factory steel lines, fed the heads at the rear port, exit at the front port, come up to a tee on top of the HPOP, through an oriface and from there to a tee on the fuel return line going back to the tank. That in combination with the Hutch mod and getting rid of all the quick connects from the tank to the fuel pump has completly eliminated any air in the fuel. It made a HUGE difference.

Pictures of it on Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/album/170683790Tiydwc

Kwikk, no doubt about it, you are the man when it comes to clever economical fixes, though you have stiff competition in this forum. Is your system regulated aside from the stock one? That orifice you use is the homemade one from the propane fitting right? And finally, I believe you posted earlier that you tested your system at idle and under load with a gauge on the mirror. What psi are you getting with that system? Thanx.
On Edit: It seems I have become OBE because I type slow. Is that regulator the one that goes in the stock postion?

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 04-01-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Kwikk, no doubt about it, you are the man when it comes to clever economical fixes, though you have stiff competition in this forum. Is your system regulated aside from the stock one? That orifice you use is the homemade one from the propane fitting right? And finally, I believe you posted earlier that you tested your system at idle and under load with a gauge on the mirror. What psi are you getting with that system? Thanx.
Thank you
I still have the factory fuel filter and pressure regulator.
Yes I am using the propane oriface and it seems to be doing the job as intended. It's quite small and I was paranoid about it getting clogged with something. I took it out yesterday to check on it and it's still clear.
I have found an interesting phenomena with the fuel pressure. It's apperant that the fuel injectors make a LOT of noise and send it out into the fuel rail. At idle I can touch the fuel lines and they are vibrating in tune with the sound of the engine. It's not just basic engine vibration, you can feel the hose vibrating more strongly than the engine. So I know that it's REALLY noisy inside the fuel rails, hoses, filter canister. And I have found that it's noisy enough to affect fuel pressure. I think it's rattling the little piston inside the fuel pressure regulator.
At idle I'll have about 57 (I think) psi. If I go out and drive around the fuel pressure drops about 3 psi if I am on the throttle. This is with the brand new fuel pump and filter. I don't really have an explanation for it other than my theory of the sound waves bouncing the factory fuel pressure regulator. That may be why Ford put the restrictors at the end of the steel lines feeding the heads, to try and quiet things down.
For now I'm not worrying about it, the truck runs great.
It has so much power that I don't have the time to build full boost before I have to shift until I get into fourth gear. And that's with 4 injectors that are showing up weak in a contribution test.
Ok that's enough for one post.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:18 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Kwik,

Did you ever put another regulator on your truck? Or did you just shim the stock one........

Old 04-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Kwik,

Did you ever put another regulator on your truck? Or did you just shim the stock one........
I did, and eventually took it back off. When I replaced the fuel pump the engine started sounding more harsh than before and I wanted the stock fuel pressure back. So out it came and I put the stocker back in. It will remain that way forever.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I did, and eventually took it back off. When I replaced the fuel pump the engine started sounding more harsh than before and I wanted the stock fuel pressure back. So out it came and I put the stocker back in. It will remain that way forever.
I guess you're done experimenting there then? Obviously the harshness went away. Could the other regulator have been set to a lower stock like setting?

Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
OK, sounds good. I think I'll copy what you did and do it to mine. I love to do things the inexpensive way. That way i can spend the real money on the race car.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:16 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My suggestion was to plumb 2 lines from the front of the rails to a tee with an orifice and mount the tee up higher than the rails as to draw the air up into the tee then allow the fuel presure to push the air back to the tank.
Yeah, that's basically what we all are doing with the regulated return systems. It gets rid of the stock bypass regulator, feeds fuel to the back of the heads, letting it exit the front where fuel pressure is regulated with an adjustable regulator instead of an oriface, and sending some of the fuel and (hopefully) all of the air back to the tank. Kwikk's system is the same idea except it relys on the stock regulator and orifaces instead of a adjustable regulator.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
AGruenke
Freshman User
...has completly eliminated any air in the fuel
Not quite. There is a big difference between "completely eliminated" and "gave it somewhere else to be". I really hope you're not operating under the misguided assumption that you've actually "removed" the air from the fuel and that there is none going thru your injectors anymore...that would be a mistake. You've simply eliminated the deadheaded fuel rails.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AGruenke
Not quite. There is a big difference between "completely eliminated" and "gave it somewhere else to be". I really hope you're not operating under the misguided assumption that you've actually "removed" the air from the fuel and that there is none going thru your injectors anymore...that would be a mistake. You've simply eliminated the deadheaded fuel rails.
OK Sir, would you be so kind as to elaborate or will you be donning the asbestos suit? You've got my attention.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by AGruenke
Yes to put a fine point to it, I've given it an alternative exit instead of having to go out through one of th injectors.
However........
Just past the outlet of the oriface I installed a clear bodied fuel filter that I am using as a sight glass. It's very easy to spot the air bubbles that pass through the oriface and back to the tank. I've done the Hutch mod to my tank pickup, gotten rid of the quick connects from the tank pickup to the fuel pump, and also relocated the fuel pump to the rear of the truck right next to the fuel tank.
The only time that I ever see air in the fuel anymore is right after I change the fuel filter. Ten minutes after I start the engine there is nothing in the sight glass but crystal clear fuel. I can safely make the claim that there is no air in my fuel supply. No air in = no air out.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I hope I didn't sound too harsh and run him off, but I was wondering if he had some new info or discovery. Perhaps he was referring to entrained air within the fuel itself. I'm still curious.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:15 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
relocated the fuel pump to the rear of the truck right next to the fuel tank.

Kwik,

What advantage did you gain by moving the pump closer to the tank?

Quick Reply: New Idea for Regulated Fuel System