1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

223 Carb idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Young_unn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
223 Carb idle

My truck is finally runnign again, but it wont idle now. i have to have a little choke on to keep it idleing. i started the truck after a 15 yr sit and it was idling fine. but now it will idle for just about 3 or 4 econds before the revs fall to low. I do know that the truck is running rich. how can i adjust the mixture and the idle?

also it probabaly needs a full cleanign a tuning, which ill do soon. it is the stock carb. where can i get a rebuild kit. i only saw kits in LMC for the 65+ models

Old 03-24-2006, 12:30 PM
drof46
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a rebuilt kit, but I tried this route with the local parts guys and got frustrated when they started giving the wrong kit. I got a brand new carb for a little over $100 from a local parts place. The other question is did you empty out all that 15 year old gas/sludge. Empty that tank and clean out the lines. Then fill it back up with some fresh stuff. Hopefully you are running through at least 1 filter. I have the glass bowl pump and another regular filter up by the carb. Even after dumping the tank I'll see little pieces of rust in the glass bowl from time to time. If you 223 has the carb on the drivers side like mine, my gas/air mix is on the side closest to the engine and slightly back from center. Its just a screw with a spring on it. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Young_unn
Senior User
screwing it in will make it richer or lean? i have already stripped the carb apart once and cleaned it out. I did run out of gas and havent cleaned it since

Old 03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
drof46
Elder User
This is just what I was told, from someone through the years. Screw in the adjuster semi tight, then back it out 1 1/2 turns and go from there. Listen for the idle and when adjusting you will hear the idle increase or decrease, shoot for the best possible air/gas mix. You may also post this topic on the inline 6 forum. I'm only a shade tree mechanic and learning as I go.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 PM
steve66
Junior User
Hey Youngunn. If you have to use the choke to keep it idling, it has to be running lean or it would flood and die with the choke pulled. It sounds more like a vacuum leak;especially if you have removed and /or stripped it. Make sure all of the vacuum ports that you don't use are blocked off.Try squirting a little either around the base of the carb in short bursts;if the engine speeds up ,the carb is sucking air and you need to replace the gasket or tighten the bolts.Check all of the vacuum lines closely,pay close attention to areas close to the intake(heat damage),tight bends ,and where they
hook on to the carb.Make sure all of them are connected at both ends or blocked off. If the hose going to the distributor/vacuum advance is unhooked, this will cause a serious vacuum leak and will also affect acceleration.Drof46 has the right proceure to get the idle mixture screws close; just be extra careful not to tighten them to the point to where it will damage the seats. I run them in just to the point to where they become snug; not actually tight.Hope this helps.Keep them old Fords rollin'!Steve66

Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Enzo500
Freshman User
If you're running the original Motorcraft 1 BBL caruretor on your truck, which it sounds like you are. These carbs are of poor design. I'm swapping mine out for a compatible Holley 1 BBL carb that promises to be smoother and more reliable.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
steve66
Junior User
Young unn, just wanted to add that I have a catalogue from Mac's auto supply for '48 through '79 Ford trucks. It is listing a remanufactored carb for your 223 for $159.95 with exchange, or a rebuild kit for $17.95. If you're interested, check out their web site . The catalogue is free and I've seen some hard to find stuff in there.Steve66

Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
drof46
Elder User
My replacement from the auto parts place is a holley for $100 and some change. Remember not to break that seal on the rebuild kit if you go that route until you make sure it is the correct kit and has all your parts.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Young_unn
Senior User
The accelarater pump on the side of the car leaks and sprays when ever i press the gas pedal, sometimes it makes a sucking noise and drops revs but now most of the tiem it works just fine, with the occasional hesitation. i have dropped the idle down to where it seems to be running nice, when i start with choke, it missfires, also when i pull the choke when its warm it runs misfireing, but runs fine when its off.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Young_unn
Senior User
can u show me a link for the holley carbs