Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

DIY Welding Cart

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
DIY Welding Cart

Pile of "Scrap" stuff, mostly from recent dumpster diving (except the casters and the drawer slides... though came off another project):

hack things up and build a base:

http://frederic.midimonkey.com/yard/...t/IM001641.JPG

Weld on some uprights:

http://frederic.midimonkey.com/yard/...t/IM001643.JPG

And viola, near-instant welding cart:

http://frederic.midimonkey.com/yard/...t/IM001645.JPG

I still have some more work to do... but this is how far I got today. Have to do the following still:

1. Weld on the caster pads, which are cut, drilled and tapped.
2. Install the chain attachment points to retain the gas cylinder.
3. Install a push/pull handle.
4. Wire up the 240V twistlock outlets, the main power switch, and attach the 30' cord with a twistlock on that end as well.
5. Prime and paint!

I am pleased especially considering I eyeballed it. It's actually fairly square!

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-25-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,118 Likes on 2,174 Posts
not bad for a monkey welder.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:05 AM
frederic
Post Fiend

Not to bad for nearly free either! It will be much nicer once I put on the rest of the pieces, most of which I've cut.

What's nice is the steel from the retail displays, had some quick-on/quick-off hooks so since there will be some of that left over, I'll weld a few on the sides so I can add/remove hooks for the welding cables and ground clamps.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 AM
MichSandSquid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you go to dumpster dive for metal like that?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
that is a secret that he only shares with people that don't like metal.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:26 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
All sorts of places. Office Max, Staples, and of the larger retail stores (in strip malls where you have easy access to dumpsters behind the buildings) sometimes throw out retail displays which are generally made of mild and stainless steel. Sometimes painted, powdercoated etc. Beggers can't be choosy. The angle iron was in the dumpster behind the new Lowes near me. I think they chucked it because it was a bit rusty.

Anyway, made some more progress today.

Cut the caster "feet" (which is a pain BTW when your last 10" chop saw blade is only 6" ):
http://frederic.midimonkey.com/yard/...t/IM001646.JPG

Then welded on the feet and the back brace:
http://frederic.midimonkey.com/yard/...t/IM001648.JPG

Then cold galvanized the entire thing. For tools, carts, racks and things that I more than likely use outside the garage, haul to friend's houses and so on, I use a spray-on galvanizing product I get from Ace Hardware in place of rustoleum or store brand primer. It's not true galvanizing which is an electric process, but it does stick really good and can survive some bumping around as compared to regular primer. For $1 more a can why the heck not.
http://frederic.midimonkey.com/yard/...t/IM001649.JPG

Assuming it's not raining tomorrow, I'll be painting it blue to match my engine run stand if I have enough paint left in the last can. If not, I have four cans of a grotesque red I can use instead

Oh, crap, I forgot to weld on the handle. Dammit!

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-25-2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: img tags
Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Nice work! Great photo essay too! I like to use that cold galvanizing primer on my welding projects too. Careful when you weld the handle on. The fumes from cold galv. may not be as bad as electo galv. but I don't want to find out either way.

Scott

Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Turns out I have much more welding to do. I was excited that I was "almost done" and forget not only to weld on the handle, but the top part that I'd chain the bottle too, which the handle attaches to. ooooops!

And you're right Scott, i will be absolutely careful welding with those fumes. I've done a ton of work with galvanized and the fumes are quite nasty.

And... why I made a "back breather". This device is very simple actually.... it's a diver's snorkle I got on ebay, and hacked the length down with a hack saw. Then slipped over a very soft, clear flexible 3/4" "aquarium" tubing, which goes down from the hacked up snorkel, around my side to my back just above my belt, to a body shop canister filter which I made a simple brass fitting to screw on the canister filter, and hose clamp the tubing. I clip that to my belt, and put my shirt over it, and while welding I breath air from behind me, through the canister and reasonably through my shirt. I made this not specifically because of galvanized metal, but rather I use flux-core welding wire and the smoke is rather incredible and I didn't want to breath the flux fumes.

If you make one of these (which costs almost nothing, except for the canister filter), since it's on your back part of your belt, just don't eat pork and beans before working

Old 03-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Genius at work!!!

While you are working on the handle...

Don't forget the cabinet or drawers for the breathing apparatus, gloves, helmet, cap, leathers, chippers/hammers, lenses, chalk, liners, tips, pliers, tape, coppers, etc.

Make sure you have a place for that rod holder or just a place to put a few rods.

Also make that can holder for the tip spray etc, and the holder for your framing square. Those magnetic squares will take care of themselves and of course you need a place to put a few clamps, vise grips etc.

Are you sure those casters are going to be big enuf?

That cold galvanizing paint is just zinc rich paint so it will be bad just like regular galvanized just slightly less so...

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-25-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:58 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Torque1st
Genius at work!!!
Thank you. I generally refer to myself as a tool-happy monkey.

Don't forget the cabinet or drawers for the breathing apparatus, gloves, helmet, cap, leathers, chippers/hammers, lenses, chalk, liners, tips, pliers, tape, coppers, etc.
All of that stuff is in my big mechanic's chest, in the bottom right hand drawer. I may have to revisit that, as if this rig is as portable as I intend, having the accessories on the cart will make it that much more convienent. Great idea. There is enough room above the plasma cutter (bottom unit) and the top shelf for the mig welder, to put say, a 4" or 5" high drawer. I have the slides in the junk pile as you might have noticed.

Also make that can holder for the tip spray etc, and the holder for your framing square. Those magnetic squares will take care of themselves and of course you need a place to put a few clamps, vise grips etc.
Also good ideas. BTW, for "tip spray" and "slag spray" and "welding spray" I use brake cleaner and pam cooking spray. Both work well and are dirt cheeeeeeeep.

Are you sure those casters are going to be big enuf?
Big as far as diameter, I think so. Big as far as load capacity, absolutely. Each caster is rated for 500lbs. Absolute gross overkill. These were the casters that were on the workbench I gave to TJC Tom, the workbench I rebuilt engines on as well as built sections of tubular chassis'.

That cold galvanizing paint is just zinc rich paint so it will be bad just like regular galvanized just slightly less so...
It's nasty to paint over too, as I discovered today.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I always derate casters by at least 50% if you want to have them live. I think they rate those things with a straight down force and rate them at the point at which they collapse. They sure won't roll or make it over a grain of sand at rated capacity. Of course there are some industrial caster companies that do a better rating job. My Miller AC/DC stick welder has a pair of small lawnmower wheels on it with a 1/2" shaft.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
well, i can see one very important thing you forgot. where is the coffee cup holder????

as brother homer would say,DOH!!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 05:43 AM
frederic
Post Fiend

I had just enough red paint for this. So it's now red. Caster's are on, and it rolls around very nicely.

I fabricated the handle already, and I'm thinking maybe I'll bolt it on as not to grind off paint and galvanized primer underneath, and have it done in less than an hour. Drilling four holes is quicker than grinding, cutting, setting up the welder, and so on.

Then I guess I have to go back to garage cleaning

Old 03-27-2006, 05:28 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Installed the handle today. Decided bolts suck and welded it on instead.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:22 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That means there are two more Safeway carts in this world without their wheels. What will the homeless use, shame on you.
Hey it looks great and functions.
.....=o&o>.....

Quick Reply: DIY Welding Cart