1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Tire Question:to Plug Or Not To Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
voodood
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Question:to Plug Or Not To Plug

I have 4 pretty much brand new tires on my 95 that came with the truck when I bought it and they are American Grand Turbo GT(anyone ever heard of ?)P225 70 14.My problem is in my left rear tire I have a puncture hole typical of a nail in the shoulder area right where the tread ends and meets the upper sidewall.It is not that big of a puncture but I have heard nobody will repair in this area because it is not totally on the tread.I think a plug would fix but looking for tips.Would hate to pay $75-$100 on a new tire when this tire is like new,about 3000 miles and part of a matching set bought new.I can understand the liability thing with repair shops,but a plug kit from AZ could do the trick.Anyone ever plug this area or do I try to find a new one?

Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
A repair in this area isn't considered a safe or lasting thing to do, because that area flexes a lot, so I wouldn't even consider it.

For less than $100 you can be safe. If you ponder that, aren't you & your passengers worth that much?????

I'll bet your answer is yes!!!!! Chuck that danged tire, buy a new one & be safe!!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I agree with pawpaw. A patch wouldn't be safe, and probably wouldn't work very well anyway.

Also, my truck has the same size tires, and I've found that they tend to be real cheap for some reason. I've got Michelins on the front that were only about $60 each...

Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
voodood
Freshman User
You guys are right ,I think I will get a new tire rather than take a risk on a plug.$60 Michelins,thats a good price,but I would like to get a match for the other 3 only because they look good as a set.I will look into a new one.