Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Another parts sorting idea!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 01:51 PM
vettehauler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sandwich bags are still cheap, and I like em alot..but they tear pretty easy.

Old 05-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

-But they stack real well in a cardboard box! They do come in different "grade$" and they take a marking pen or masking tape well as long as you don't get your greasy hands on 'em tooo much -hehe

Old 05-31-2002, 12:13 PM
vettehauler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Torque, better put those labels on the inside of the bag with the parts. I used to use masking tape and it must have been too humid, half the tags fell off...now that was a hassle trying to get all that back together.

Old 07-21-2002, 12:58 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to use muffin tins and ice cube trays until my wife complained of funny tasting drinks and nasty tasing muffins. Go figure. Now I use zip-lock bags.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 XLT
CC/SRW 6.9 auto

Old 07-21-2002, 10:58 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru

Old 07-24-2002, 01:19 AM
soso
Junior User

me I just throw it all in one rubber maid pan ,pour in solvent all clean ,all in one

Old 07-24-2002, 02:55 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

I like that one, I have a big plastic bucket I always keep full of Coastal Purple power degreaser, and everything that comes off gets dropped in. then I gotta go fishing back through it to find stuff, and degreaser doens't feel too good on open, bleeding wounds (which I normally have when doing serious wrenching), but those parts always go back on clean! TK

'77 F100, 302 (the aftermarket Prodigy), C4
Cadet Second Lieutenant John F. Daly III
South Carolina Corps of Cadets, The Citadel
The TorqueKing

Old 07-25-2002, 05:43 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
Post Another parts sorting idea!

Some things make you go DUH, why didn't I think of that?

dj

Old 07-26-2002, 12:28 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

This device is where I throw all of my fasteners and small brackets while I am wrenching:

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID75/165.html|No/Low Cost Parts Cleaner]

I just lift out the central can and hook it over the side of the solvent can to drain. I can then sort clean parts into bags or boxes etc.

The solvent can still get in those cuts but you don't have to reach down and "explore" the bottom of the bucket. All the parts are visible.

Old 07-28-2002, 11:09 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I work in a big material testing lab and we've got more parts and fixturing of all sizes in any given week than a typical engine or transmission shop would see in a year. For anything up to a few pounds and smaller than about 18" square we use generic zip-loc bags available at any industrial supply house (like www.mcmaster.com). You can get them with a white area on the outside for labeling (oil and grease won't erase a permanent marker on that stuff) and you can get 'em in various thicknesses depending on how heavy and/or nasty the parts are you are dealing with. An 8-mil bag will hold a small size casting or a few dozen bolts with no problems. I've used them just about exclusively on my 1956 F-250 restoration project and haven't lost a part yet***. Best part is (excuse the pun) that you can instantly see what's in the bag so finding things is easy. Another advantage is that I can coat parts with my favorite oil and stick them in a bag. Six months later when I get back to them there's no corrosion or dust hassles - just a lightly oiled part ready to go. Did that with my steering gearbox after grit blasting it because I had to wait six months for the replacement gears to be shipped.

Highly recommended.

George

*** Except that one spring that sproinged out of the carb and I heard it hit the garage door but then couldn't find it anywhere even after a day of hunting until my golden retriever must have found it and dropped it on her floor cushion in the garage and my wife picked up the cushion to wash it and told me a week later that a spring fell off it when she picked it up but she didn't know where it went and didn't care so I searched for another day or so before giving up.