Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Pressure Washers-Who Has One and What's Your Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:35 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a 5hp briggs, 2500 psi, probably 8 years old, and i havent found anything that it wont cut off, have taken paint off of trucks, but for some things i have to back off a little. if you dont have one, you cant go wrong with gettin one, id say get it, and get one bigger than you think that you will ever need, and you will be happy for a long time, and personally id recommend gas, and not electric, bout all those are good for is cleanin cars at best!

Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 AM
richierich45
Freshman User
I bought a Karcher at BJ's. Had problems after about 60 mins of working to clean a pool deck. Called Karcher. They said that model had a lot of problems and they sent me a newer model. It works great. I do not wash vehicles with it unless I use the low pressure nozzle. The high Pressure nozzle will remove paint. Especially on my old MH. Using a pressure washer to clean is a tedious, long process. It can only do about a 4 inch swath at a time. A driveway is sure bigger than 4 inches.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
billsco
Elder User
Does anyone know if pressure washers have to be stored in heated quarters during cold winter months? Or is there a way to winterize them against freezing?

Old 08-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you have to get all the water out of them (maybe with an air compressor?) or it will freeze and wreck the pump, etc. But my dad just puts his in his basement over the winter. We don't use it anyway and it will for sure not freeze.

-Matt

Old 08-29-2004, 04:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by billsco
Does anyone know if pressure washers have to be stored in heated quarters during cold winter months? Or is there a way to winterize them against freezing?
Mine, just bought from Harbour Freight, has winterizing instructions.. I live in Texas, so I don't need em..

Sam

Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 PM
billsco
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Mine, just bought from Harbour Freight, has winterizing instructions.. I live in Texas, so I don't need em..

Sam
I suppose you skipped through it, then. Were there ten or more pages of winterizing steps, do you remember?

My wife is pushing to buy one. I see one more piston engine to maintain, and one more to winterize, and one more to put who knows where. In Minnesota it would be considered out of season for at least five months. Have the guys who have posted here think they've used their power washer more than they envisioned, or less?

Old 08-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Get one thats electric, you may have to go to Graingers or a Farm/Fleet supply for a more powerful one. (For home use you really don't need anything above 1700 psi) You will have to winterize it by pumping RV antifreeze thru it to prevent it from freezing and corroding.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
to winterize, go buy some RV anti-freeze, get a old garden hose, cut just long enough to reach the bottom of the antifreeze jug.. then squeeze the wand trigger, slowly pulling the starter rope, {make sure the engine switch is OFF} keep pulling till you see anti-freeze come out the wand.**for electric's just turn the switch on and off** disconnect the hose, and duct tape or cap off the inlet....next add some STP fuel stabilizer if it gas powered, be sure to top off gas, if its a metal tank so it wont rust.and turn the fuel switch off, and run it for a minute to empty the fuel bowl/carb.

one important note be sure to change the pump oil at least once a season, better to do it now, so that way you won't have to worry about it next year when you go to use it again.....hope this helps

Last edited by f=2504by497; 08-29-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Cool

I suppose you skipped through it, then. Were there ten or more pages of winterizing steps, do you remember?

My wife is pushing to buy one. I see one more piston engine to maintain, and one more to winterize, and one more to put who knows where. In Minnesota it would be considered out of season for at least five months. Have the guys who have posted here think they've used their power washer more than they envisioned, or less?
I agree. I just tried to clean my truck today with the pressre washer and for the 5 time it wouldnt start. So I take off the carb float bowl and try to get the freakin float to move smoothly, spray some oil on the pin thats lets fuel in to the blowl to free it up, seems to fix it. I go to use it again and its the same damn thing, I am just sick and tired of screwing with the stupid float every time I want to use it! Of all the power washers ive had this craftsman one is the biggest POS. It doeseant even have an american engine is techumsh or something. I would reccomend getting an eltric for regualr stuff. I am about ready to roll this thing off the cliff and buy a eltric one. The pump gasket is shot and gushes water all over, it never starts right, and its not as powerul as my old one. I know how to fix all the stuff and I could get it running nice again its just everytyhing I have has something wrong with it and its just another nusance on the very tall to-do list. I say screw the gas onese unless you really need a lot of pressure they are not worth it in the long run, alaays something wrong with em. My old power washers pump exploded and the engine got turned into a go kart engine. Plus, (this is not a sexist comment so dont flame me) women most of the time can not start them by themselves and you have to do it for them.

If only Ford would build pressure washers!

Old 09-06-2004, 10:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I don't think harbor freight has a manual longer than 2 pages for ANY of its products. But, the section on winterizing was pretty simple, disconnect from water source, turn on/off pump quickly. Done.. I would ue the antifreeze approach mentioned by others already..

Mine is electric.

Sam

Old 09-17-2004, 10:27 AM
crbourret
New User
I just got a Craftsman Easy Carry 3.5 hp 2000psi and wish I had gotten one years ago! I've used it to wash my truck, lean my porches, decks, and vinyl siding. It's very usefull and easy to move around. I also bought it at a discount becuse the box had been opened.
Great tool to have!
crbourret

Old 09-17-2004, 10:43 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
I just bought one, too, and how the heck did I live without one of these things? I've got a lot of that white resin furniture on the deck, that stuff that no chemical will clean. A few passes of the pressure wand and PRESTO! it looks like new. Also great for cleaning the deck and the patio. The part that amazes me is that I don't use any detergent- just the pressure cleans everything! Everyone should have one of these.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:49 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
I've got a lot of that white resin furniture on the deck, that stuff that no chemical will clean. A few passes of the pressure wand and PRESTO! it looks like new.
Doah!!.. another great use I didn't think of.. nice, NOW I have work to do again this weekend!!..

Sam

Old 09-20-2004, 01:11 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just picked one up a week ago, got a gas powered 2100 PSI almost new washer for $130. It's amazing how many hours you can play with that thing finding stuff to clean.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
YA! Especially your truck (the one in your signature for sure!)

-Matt

Quick Reply: Pressure Washers-Who Has One and What's Your Opinion?