Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Pressure Washers-Who Has One and What's Your Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildjon300ci
I have one with a 13Hp Honda....3500 psi and 4.3 GPM....That thing will DESTROY a brick and score lumber DEEPLE on the smallest stream that is just a tiny round circle. It cleans grease like a hot knife cuts butter.
I think my dad has the same one. I was washing his van once and wanted to get the whitewalls nice and clean on the tires. Blasted them and it actually cut into the tire! Oops! Works great though. Cost him a pretty penny though!

-Matt

Old 06-24-2004, 09:06 AM
jor
Laughing Gas
Who would have ever thought there would actually be a Power Washer Board? Thanks for the referral, Fran.
jor
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Visit: http://www.powerwashnetwork.com/ and learn all you need.

Fran

Old 06-24-2004, 09:25 AM
stealth1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a craftsman 2700 and it is 2nd to none. I love it. Cleans driveways and decks as mentioned above. I purchased and extra high pressure hose so I wouldn't have move it all over the yard. They really are nice to have...

Old 06-25-2004, 09:07 AM
jor
Laughing Gas
I read all the advice and took into account the "cleaning unit" factor (psi X gpm) and ended up with a 5hp Honda engine running a 2600 Devibliss 2.5 gpm unit with pneumatic tires. It was $417 at Home Depot. I'm going to give it a try this weekend on some tough-to-get-off 67 Ford grime. I'll post how I do. Thanks to all for the good advice.
jor

Old 06-30-2004, 01:59 PM
TJC1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by wildjon300ci
I have one with a 13Hp Honda....3500 psi and 4.3 GPM....That thing will DESTROY a brick and score lumber DEEPLE on the smallest stream that is just a tiny round circle. It cleans grease like a hot knife cuts butter.
This probably about says it all. I have a 2400 psi gas model, and it does most I ask of it. It may depend on what you need it for. Mine chews up wood and paint if not careful, so you should evaluate what you need it for. The big units may be overkill. Or a unit like mine may be not enough.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:04 PM
rneville
New User
Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Get one immediately; I have a gas and an electric. The gas one is so noisy it almost blow my head off. I bought the electric at Home Depot---it's a 1600psi one that is plenty powerful for what I use it for. It has some cheap plastic fittings on it that make me mad because they break easily, but it's so quiet and portable I prefer it to the gas one.

If I had it to do over with the gas one I'd probably buy a Honda, but the electric is still my favorite. You'll find yourself cleaning your deck, car mats, throw rugs, door mats, barbecue grill, driveway, exterior of your windows, and my favorite--the fiberglass decking of my sailboat. Once you start you can't stop with these things.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Phillippio
Freshman User
The electric ones are great to have at the house. When you have a big job just rent a big one. The hot water type do work a lot better.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:33 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the "husky" 1700psi unit, and I bought it refurbished for $79. Was too cheap to pass up, and while more pressure would be good, and a heated one would be nice, cheap overcomes many faults.

I've used it to clean the driveway, remove paint from fenders (old fenders), cleaning the patio, etc.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 PM
tigerman
Senior User
Welp, I'm disappointed in using my 6.5 HP, 3 gallon/min, 2500psi unit for car/truck washing. Being a really old gizzer, I thought it might be easier than doing the hand/bucket wash that I've been doing the last fifty years. There is always a light film of dirt that only comes off with a hand wash. And besides, by the time I roll it out, gas it up, hook up the water, hook up the attachments (nozzles, wands, soap intake etc), and then put all away, I could have done it quicker and better with that old bucket of soapy water and the garden hose. ... .... even though my shoulder does hurt more.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
I have wondered about that myself. I have a small 1000 psi electric that is great for the stuff I use it on. For soap I use a bug sprayer to spray it on with. If I need to clean up something really nasty, I will fire up the propane powered steam cleaner. It has a 125 psi pump that pushes the water thru the heating coil. Steam will come out in less then a minute.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:00 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
got a craftsman 6.75 HP 2200 PSI. This thing will take your arm off if you get it in the way. When I was rebuilding my engine I had a stubborn block and bellhousing that were so freaking dirty I was mad. So I got the pressuere washer running (it was dead for a few years) and I turned it loose on the bellhousing and it took of the grease like nothing. Now anything needs cleaning, I dont even bother scrubbing I just clamp it down and turn it loose. I love it I dont clean anything now I just kill it with my pressuere washer. Dont get it close to paint though it removes it easily.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 5 horse Honda works well. If you ever need to paint on stucco, nothing beats a pressure washer for prepping the surface, 10 minutes of spraying and it's ready!

If you think you don't need one, buy one and use it for a year and then sell it. Don't be surprised if you buy another to replace it.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:50 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Yeah Im always finding stuff to blast with the pressuere washer. You can even skip sanding with it and just sand with the pressre washer, it takes the top layer of wood off.=)

Old 08-24-2004, 02:28 PM
zrtkicks
Junior User
I have a Monsoon 1500 psi with a 3.75 horse briggs on it, I use it weekly on my Prairie 650, I used it to clean the frame on my 67 truck, ( I turned my water heater up to 180 degress) It cut though that grease like a knife, I used it on the deck, it took off the old stain and the black from the aged wood so I could restain it, Its great I love it, and when 1500 psi isn't quit enough I use some of the racing fuel that I put in the 4 wheeler when I put it in an ATV pull, bring the psi up quit a bit.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Ladyfire3374
Senior User
Been using a borrowed Coleman 4 gpm/2200 psi with a Tecumseh 6 HP.

A few thoughts: This machine is well used. It needs a bigger gas tank, and the soap eductor is one of the first things to go, like the ignitor on a gas grill.
From the owners manual, it appears that the only thing Coleman did was provide the little cart and all the warnings. Pick whichever engine you prefer. Honda makes great stuff, but the parts are pretty high. The Tecumseh recoil starters are cheesy but they make a universal replacement that's an easy DIY job. I don't know much about the pumps except that brass is better, and you'd better be using the little in-line filter that comes with it. Check it regularly. The newer machines come with a feature to make starting easier. Mine didn't. Just trigger the nozzle when you pull the starter so you aren't cranking against the water pressure. Works great.

All my concrete looks brand new, and I've used it to clean a wooden bench that had moss growing on it. This machine is powerful enough to roughen up the surface of wood.
I like the bleach water pretreat. I use only about 10-15%. I always add a few drops of dishwashing detergent to help it penetrate better. Used plain water to clean the underside of my truck - mud, grit & greasy grime! I love it & will hate to return it!

Quick Reply: Pressure Washers-Who Has One and What's Your Opinion?