1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help with ID'ing my axle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with ID'ing my axle.

Hi again,

I have a question about my axle that maybe someone can point me in the right direction for identifying it. I pulled off my bed this afternoon which made it much easier to read the tag on the axle, although it did not say FORD on it anywhere. I know its a FORD since the bolt pattern is. I'm really just trying to get the ratio.

Anyways the tag reads

EV AA1 7CB
75 9 718A

I looked up a TON of sites for ID'ing tags but everyone starts with a W.. If I read it wrong or it was just that dirty it might have been WAA1 but i doubt it. Any ideas?

JoE

Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeSwing78
Hi again, . . . I'm really just trying to get the ratio. . . .
JoE
Why don't you just measure it? That will give you the ratio even if it has been changed sometime in its life.

If it has a rear plate you can remove, just count the teeth of the pinion, and the ring gear. If the pinion has 9 teeth and the ring gear has 37, it is a 4.11 ratio. You divide the number of teeth on the pinion into the number of teeth on the ring gear.

You can also do the same thing, if you have an open (non-posi) rear by jacking up one side and spinning the tire one revolution. Mark where the tire and the U joint are, spin the tire and count the number of revolutions of the U joint. If it turns 4 revs and a bit, it is around 4:11 or so. Not as accurate as you have to estimate the amount the U joint moves past your mark, but good enough for most people.

If you have a posi or locking rear, lift both rear tires.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:27 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You missed the first letter. It should be WEV. Its a stock non locker 9" with a 2.75 ratio and 28 splines and used in the 73-8 F100 and 75-8 F150.

This is a good ratio for a 460/C6.