Bio-diesel Waste disposal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:15 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orpackrat

I think you may not understand a WVO system. It does not replace a stock fuel system. It's in addition to the stock system. You have to have the stock system for WVO to work correctly. You start and stop on the stock system. Once up to temp you switch over to the WVO system. When you get to your destination you switch back before you shutdown, to the stock system.

The stock system can run Bio or diesel no real limitaions except for temp Bio will jell and cloud at higher temps then #2. I think most people blend #2 and bio when the temps start getting in the 40F range and lower.

WVO and diesel are about the same and weigh around 7.0 LB per US gallon.

Last edited by leskwvo; 03-15-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:41 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Leskwvo, I got a question for you (mostly just to get everything in the open and clear on both sides) how much regular diesel are you burning in the warm up and shut down phases? and what is the breakeven point as far as distance to where this is or isn't actually saving any fuel.?
I know for me WVO isn't going to be a good thing so going to run bio, but was just curious on that one is all and fiigured someone else might be too but just not thought to ask.
Oh reason why WVO isn't good for me is A. I don't have access to enough to actually replace most of my diesel use, but do have access to enough to make enough bio to run my truck at 25% or B25. Also unfortunatly my truck sees a lot of short running which isn't good for it I know but that has become a reality, and secondly I am not the only one that drives it (the wife, and my codriver on the big truck also drive it, and running bio is pretty fool proof as they can just start it and not worry about changing over etc)

Old 03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Well I have a spreadsheet on my site that shows my savings. In the winter warm up time is longer. But with the new filter warmer I put in last month things have gotten back to summer time switch overs. I drive about 1-2 miles before I switch. Just as the temp gage starts to rise. My commute is 31 miles one way. I switch back to diesl about 1 mile from my office. It's right off a freeway so 1 mile is enough to purge.

Weekends kill me usually the short trips around town I don't get a chance to use much WVO. If you drive allot of short distances (5-10 miles) then WVO is not for you.

I have not bought diesel since March 2, I've gone just over 900 miles and still have just under a 1/2 tank of #2. It's starting to get warm again so I will easily get back to my 1100 miles per tank of diesel.

As for switch over the new item we just anounced called the Smartveg(tm) controller will truely simplify things for folks that one more the one person driving.

Last edited by leskwvo; 03-18-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:34 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Arrow

Originally Posted by DISLFVR
Hi, I've been reading with great interest lately about this bio-diesel and home brewing and wondering what is done with the glyceral and waste oil containers and anything else I may have missed. Been driving diesels for 2 years now and would like to start brewing my own. Thanks in advance
Burn the used oil containers or if they're tin recycle them.

After you dry the left over methenol out of the glycrin you can compost it as it is very biodegradable. You might be able to sell it to a soap maker. You could use some of it to make your own soap. You could just burn it also.

jimbo

Old 03-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
I have not yet gotten into bio or WVO, but what do you mean by dry out the methenol out of the glycrin? How is the process done? How well does the glycrin burn. Is it an easy fire starter or do you have to nurture it for a while. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:13 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to everyone for the info. Lately I have been contacting restaurants about their wast oil. I want to get a supply established before I even think about investing in a process to make bio. Here in north-central Ohio, some places are reluctant to just give it away.

Last edited by DISLFVR; 03-19-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:45 AM
jimkidd
Elder User
Arrow

Originally Posted by Orpackrat
I have not yet gotten into bio or WVO, but what do you mean by dry out the methenol out of the glycrin? How is the process done? How well does the glycrin burn. Is it an easy fire starter or do you have to nurture it for a while. Thanks.
I'm not sure how well it will burn. I just know it will. fabmandelux Is the one that can tell you how well.

It will biodegrade pretty fast though, and makes very good fertilizer, I have read. I have not produced any biodiesel as of yet. I have about 500 gals of WVO that I will be processing soon. I also have established a few relationships with resturants. I can get about 50-200 gals a week. At the present I seem to have enough WVO. I've just got to get on with building a processor.

jimbo

Old 03-19-2006, 08:51 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Orpackrat
I made a "still" to recover the methanol. I recover about 25% of the original methanol, this can be used again.

Glycerol has to be burned above 1,200 deg F. I use a mixture of 50% glycerol & 50% "slime" from my settleing tanks to heat my process.

FABMANDELUX.