Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Bronco308
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Fuel Additives

Stopped by the dealership today to pick up a speed sensor; on the counter, the had a display of Ford Power Stroke Diesel Cetane Booster & Performance Improver. 20oz treats 125 US gallons; cost me $6.53; mix ratio is 4oz to 25 US gals. It does not say by how much it raises cetane and I have not added it yet. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
seems overpriced. 20 ounces for $6, and i get (i think) a gallon jug of Diesel Kleen for $11. it might be a half gallon at 64 ounces for $11, but still a better deal. not many people that i know of, use it. but use it and see how you like it. that reminds me, i need to go put my dose in the tank, i filled it yesterday and havent 'Kleened it yet.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with strokin that it's probably over-priced. The DK that he was talking about will raise the cetane up to 4 numbers for the white bottle, and I think up to 6 for the grey bottle. White is cold weather, grey is for warmer weather. I've been using the DK for quite some time now, but think I'm going to give the Stanadyne a shot when I run out of DK. I've heard some really good things about it.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:04 AM
nodakford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have run both Stanadyne and DK, both white and grey, and really did not notice a difference between the two. I run DK mostly because it is easier to get. I can personally say that #2 diesel will not gel @-25 F when mixed with the white bottle of DK.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

What big chains carry the Diesel Klean and the Stanadyne? Every place I checked last weekend either didn't have it or were out.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 AM
72Lester
Senior User
Originally Posted by trike1946
What big chains carry the Diesel Klean and the Stanadyne? Every place I checked last weekend either didn't have it or were out.
I usually get the DK at Wally World, Truck Stops, Farm & Ag Stores, Auto Parts Stores and even at the Conoco down the street. 1st three places usually have the gallon jugs.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Bronco308
Mountain Pass
seems overpriced. 20 ounces for $6, and i get (i think) a gallon jug of Diesel Kleen for $11. it might be a half gallon at 64 ounces for $11, but still a better deal. not many people that i know of, use it. but use it and see how you like it. that reminds me, i need to go put my dose in the tank, i filled it yesterday and havent 'Kleened it yet

Around here, the 16 ounce bottle of Diesel Kleen is $9.95; the 64 oz bottle is $15.95.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:42 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 72Lester
I usually get the DK at Wally World, Truck Stops, Farm & Ag Stores, Auto Parts Stores and even at the Conoco down the street. 1st three places usually have the gallon jugs.
I agree, Diesel Klean is much easier to find. I prefer the Stanadyne, but I would run that if I couldn't get the Stanadyne. I only know one place around here that carries Stanadyne - it is a diesel injection service company. However, click on this link - Stanadyne website - there is a dealer locater.

Bronco, if the additive you are talking about is only a cetane booster, then it is over-priced and incomplete. Diesel Klean and Stanadyne not only provide a cetane boost (depending on which product), but they have added lubrication to the fuel (which your injectors desperately need - especially now that the ultra-low sulfur, ultra-low lubricity fuel is about to become the law of the land), and they have components that help keep your injectors clean. A simple cetane boost won't do that. In fact, these days I'd feel more comfortable with a lubricity-only additive than a cetane booster.

Okay. I don't know why the link doesn't work. Just go to www.stanadyne.com and look for the dealer search page.

Last edited by arninetyes; 03-10-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:44 AM
nodakford
Senior User
Around here a 32 oz of Dk runs aound $5 and some change, same for a 16 oz bottle of Stanadyne. I usually get my bottle at Walmart or one of the farm stores.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:56 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Oh, yeah. I don't bother with little 16-oz bottle. Since I know I'm going to use it anyway, I buy the additive in the biggest bottles I can find - for the Stanadyne, that means a 64oz jug. It isn't cheap. There are, however, two different types of Stanadyne. One costs about what Diesel Klean costs. I'm gong to try that one after this bottle is gone.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
nodakford
Senior User
Around here a 32 oz of Dk runs aound $5 and some change, same for a 16 oz bottle of Stanadyne. I usually get my bottle at Walmart or one of the farm stores.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Bronco308
Mountain Pass
if the additive you are talking about is only a cetane booster, then it is over-priced and incomplete
It says it lubes and cleans the injectors, too. I've used DK in the past with good results, I was just looking for something less expensive. You guys are getting WAAAAY good prices on your DK!

I done paid for it; guess I'll try it and see what happens.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arninetyes
There are, however, two different types of Stanadyne. One costs about what Diesel Klean costs. I'm gong to try that one after this bottle is gone.
Are you talking about the regular Performance Formula and the Junior? The Junior doesn't have the cetane booster at all or as good of a cold weather protection. There are more than two additives that Stanadyne makes, I think it's something like 4 different ones for the diesel fuel. See this brochure for the big differences:
http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=501

Here's some more info on the Stanadyne additives:
http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=1295

This place has the best prices I've found for the Stanadyne:
http://www.se-power.com/index.cfm?Ca...Name=Additives

Old 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I get DK at Wal*Mart. However, I ran a gallon thru my MB and didn't notice squat. Of course no SOTP increase. No increase in any starting ease or mileage. Maybe I will try it with the Powerstroke someday

Old 03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
jtharvey,

Yeah, if cetane boost is needed, then the Jr won't be good enough. As for cold weather help, I live in SoCal and don't have to worry about that.

I've looked at their website numerous times, but didn't realize there were four formulas for diesels. I'll have to check it out and see if there is another that would do the job while being a bit cheaper.

Quick Reply: Fuel Additives