1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition or Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
SproutW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition or Bronco

My wife and I have only driven Broncos for the last 9 years. My old Bronco with severe cancer and 330,000 miles needs to go to Heaven. I refuse to pay $40,000 for a new vehicle. My buddy owns a car lot and is wanting me to get an Expedition. This is all new to me since I do my own mechanical work on my vehicles. Anyone give me the pros and cons for an Expedition vs Bronco. Any certain years to avoid or problems. What do I need to look for when buying one or should I stick with a Bronco? Thanks and all opinions are welcomed!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:14 AM
SmaulzEB
Senior User
Having been an owner of both, I'd go with the Expy in a heartbeat. Mechanically, they're rock solid and any repairs aren't all that difficult for somebody with basic automotive knowledge. Also, my Bronc had the lethargic 302, so going to a 5.4L was a NICE change. The extra room, comfort, convenience, etc. was way worth the price of admission for the wife an I. HTH.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 363 Likes on 292 Posts
I am struggling with the same issue myself. I used to have a Bronco, and I was all set to buy another one, when my wife up and announced she wants out of her Expedition and into something smaller and easier to park. So now I have to decide if I would rather just take over her 00 EB Expy.

Expy Pros:
1) 5.4L plenty powerful, gets better mileage than the equivalent 351.
2) Already own it - know where it's been.
3) 4 doors for the kiddos.
4) DVD player/screen for the kiddos.
5) Don't have to fight the spare tire/back glass to put something in the back.

Bronco pros:
1) 4x4 (my expy is 2wd).
2) Cheaper.
3) Good old Windsor motor.
4) Cool factor (not a retired mom-mobile).
5) Easier to fix.

Hell I can't decide either. I think I'll drive the Expedition for a while and then see if I get motivated to either sell it or butch it up.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM
SproutW
Senior User
I told him my requirements on the Expy would be 4x4 and the 5.4 liter engine. I've read some posts and it seems they have their common problems like the Broncos. I've read some problems with the air suspension and some leaky head gaskets. What years do I need to avoid with the leaky head gaskets? Is the air suspension system a real pain or nothing more then a regular suspension system? Did all Expys come with the air suspension systems? He mentioned a 1999 or 2000 year model.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 PM
thecardoc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also used to drive a 79 Bronco bought brand new put 120k on engine rebuilt it then put an additional 340k for a total of 460k. it still runs great and every thing still works
but cancer has got the best of it. Now I drive a 99 expy EB fully loaded. Best move I ever made.Just couldnt be more pleased. The ride is superb. It tows any thing I put behind it and gets better milage too. The 4x4 part I see you live in Texas what do you need 4wd for. It just costs you in milage all the time for the very few times you need it. All those miles on my Bronco Maybe only 5k to 7k in 4wd and I live in Indiana.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SproutW's profile says Illinois. I can see the need for 4x4 there.

I'm not sure about the head gasket thing. I was without an Expy for a couple of years and didn't keep up with the issues. We had a '97 w/4.6L that was a great vehicle, but I'd recommend a 2000+ model for the improved power.

Early models had issues with the multi-function (turn signal) switch and rear wiper "ghosts". I'd avoid the air suspension if you can... seems like it's nothing but problems- no aftermarket shocks, blown bags & pump failures. The E4OD tranny can be problematic depending on how well it was maintained and what kind of use it has seen.

New body style '03- early '04 had some handling (steering nibble) and limited slip diff (shudder) problems. Ford seems to have solved most of the problems with the later '04 and up models. At least there aren't quite as many complaints.

The '05+ models got the new, more powerful 3V 5.4L engine. Never owned one, so I can't comment on it.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:24 AM
SproutW
Senior User
Thanks for all of the comments. I do live in Illinois and need the 4x4. My wife and I both have jobs that require us to get to work no matter what the weather. The Broncos have always got us there. Does the Expy have the rust issues like the Broncos? I'm leaning more towards the Expy and thinking my buddy is on the right path. I just like to do my homework before I make any big steps. If the Expy resists the rust better then the Bronco then I will for sure be buying one.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:53 AM
SmaulzEB
Senior User
The Expy's definitely aren't as prone to rust as the Bronc's were. Also, if you're used to winter driving in a Bronc, you're gonna LOVE the Expy. Bronco's short wheelbase always made 'em a little squirrelly on ice; Expy doesn't have that problem.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
pronstar
Elder User
The only con I can think of is the plug blowout deal. While it doesn't affect everybody (didn't effect me) it does affect some folks.

My air suspension has been reliable, but I only have it in the rear. You can get aftermarket shock for this setup, not sure about the 4-wheel air suspension setups. Granted, some folks do have trouble with it. IMHO, it's great to be able to tow or haul loads without your rear sagging.

Adding a larger tranny cooler - in addition to the factory unit, or to replace it - will increase it's life. These trucks are heavy, so even regular city driving can really heat the fluid up. I've got a blower, and I tow a 7,000 boat/trailer, and my E4OD with 130K miles is still very tight. I also have an aftermarket valve body, this may also contribute the the longevity that I'm seeing.

Regular maintenance, like anything mechanical, is key. Try to get service records, or at the very least, pay to have a mechanic really go over the car. There are millions of these trucks on the road, and all of those happy owners can't be wrong!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:44 AM
SproutW
Senior User
Sounds good. Is the plug blowout occuring after someone has replaced the plugs? I take it with these new engines the plugs are suppose to be good for the first 100,000 miles.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
pronstar
Elder User
I'd do a search for the plug blowout thing, there should be a lot of posts about it. I don't think anyone knows when/if it will occur.

As mentioned, I've never had a problem with it, and I'm on my third set of plugs. (Have a lot of mods, can't run long-life platinums)

If you stick to a platinum-type, or some other long-lasting plug, then they are supposed to last 100K miles.