The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Uniforms...eh...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Aerotrash
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School is a learning environment and a government institution, save your personal expression for when you're not on the taxpayer's time.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
spidk43
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
taxes don't pay for private institutions (at least not in Michigan, we don't have vouchers--yet)

just thought I'd throw that out there, but good point--both of you.

Oh and faygo, I didn't mean to jump on you so harshley, I just needed to vent because so many people lately (not here, but in my hometown) have said ignorant or not well thought out things and not thought one second about what they are saying before it comes out of there mouth.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:28 AM
JD717
Elder User
wear a uniform to school? HA! never happen with me, unless it was a pair of OD green combat pants so I could work on the schools irrigation system during lunch. yep, OD green pants combat boots, and an ALICE pack, thats what I had for high school. now this was a public school too, and all the teachers and admins knew me pretty well too, so I never really had much trouble with any of them.

Trying to get students in ANY public school to wear a standard uniform is a total waste of time, they'll dress how they want, and do what they want. I know I did. of course some of the students idea of "good taste" is pretty bad.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
I went to a school that had uniforms for a year when I lived in New Zealand. The schools I went to here in the states didn't have any restrictions, really, just that "Outfits may not cause a distraction or detract from the learning enviroment". Hats were allowed, as were coats (Damn right coats were, they refused to turn the heat any higher then 60f in most of the school, I swear), and there were no restrictions on hair or anything. Which was a good thing, for most of high school I had my hair in big spikes, or dyed various weird colors.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Originally Posted by JD717
wear a uniform to school? HA! never happen with me, unless it was a pair of OD green combat pants so I could work on the schools irrigation system during lunch. yep, OD green pants combat boots, and an ALICE pack, thats what I had for high school. now this was a public school too, and all the teachers and admins knew me pretty well too, so I never really had much trouble with any of them.

Trying to get students in ANY public school to wear a standard uniform is a total waste of time, they'll dress how they want, and do what they want. I know I did. of course some of the students idea of "good taste" is pretty bad.
That's really a load of bull. You may love to think you and the other students were quite the rebellious little bunch, but if the school board and administrators were going with a uniform plan, there'ed be about a week of bitching, and then everyone would shut up and just learn to deal with it. The first few days, some students will show up out of uniform, but being sent home every day, missing all the classes and watching their grades quickly plummet due to the missed work will change a lot of their minds really quickly.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
OK, I'm probably too old to be lurking in this forum, but here's what I think.
When I was in grade school, I used to get teased about the "uncool" clothes I had. If my school had uniforms, it would have saved me a lot of torment.
Probably not, the bullies would have found something else to give you **** about. I was teased and beaten up mearciliessly through all of school (until the Columbine thing, then people were mostly afraid of me and left me alone), and kids will pick on other kids for anything and everything. If it's not the clothes, it'll be the haircut, eye color, last name, anything.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:32 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I went to highschool. 94-98 it was cook to be different.

until the Columbine thing, then people were mostly afraid of me
Why's that? did you wear a shirt endorsing it?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Originally Posted by jake00
Why's that? did you wear a shirt endorsing it? [the columbine shooting]
No, becasue I was one of those depressed kids who wore the exact same thing every day. Black jeans, black boots, black hoodie, black leather jacket. Never varied.

Overnight, I went from "That weird kid who just sits in the back of class and doesn't say much" to "That kid who might snap someday"

Old 04-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Nathane
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tsaven Nava
Overnight, I went from "That weird kid who just sits in the back of class and doesn't say much" to "That kid who might snap someday"
Smile, it makes people wonder

I'm kinda like how you were, mabey.

I consider myself quiet, inpersonal, and stealthy.

I found who keyed my truck (anyone who follows my threads knows i want happy)... I'm waiting. Paciently, and quietly, but once the moment strikes, They'll know it

Uniforms would be an improvement to our school...

Less thug/goth wear...

Blue jeans, t-shirts... Sweet

~Nate

Last edited by Beast12; 05-01-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:29 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Aerotrash
School is a learning environment and a government institution, save your personal expression for when you're not on the taxpayer's time.

so are state colleges, but no uniform there also. plus, a kid is made to go to school or the parents get in trouble, big difference. and its funny that they are teaching about freedom of expression in these same institutions.

as far as preparing them for the real world, i don't think much preparation is required for uniform stuff, someone should have the common sense by the time they get out school, let kids be kids a little, the world isn't that dang bad.

the solution is not a uniform but just a dress code, i.e., no offensive languages, keep pants up, no hats etc etc....

i think polo shirts are the most ridiculous looking thing, where do they even get that design from? i call it the american uniform, everyone wears one with a little hanes shirt under when they feel they need to "dress up" along with some cheap slacks.

i still think schools need to return to concentrating on learning and not being a dang social program, thats what parents are for, don't worry GOV, i am capable of teaching my kids a few things also.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nathane
Uniforms would be an improvement to our school...

Less thug/goth wear...
Yeah but . . . I enjoy the goth wear. It's sexy

Last edited by Beast12; 05-01-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Aerotrash
Freshman User
so are state colleges, but no uniform there also. plus, a kid is made to go to school or the parents get in trouble, big difference. and its funny that they are teaching about freedom of expression in these same institutions.
This is true, however when in college, youre an adult. You have total control over your schedule (for the most part), isn't required by law, and is completely different socially speaking. College is in no way like k-12, uniforms are pretty pointless. Of course, even state colleges have tuition and fees that you have to pay, so its not like you have a full ride on the government.

i still think schools need to return to concentrating on learning and not being a dang social program, thats what parents are for, don't worry GOV, i am capable of teaching my kids a few things also.
With this, I couldn't possibly agree more.