1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

FE engine Info request

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FE engine Info request

My oldest son and I got into a disgussion the other day about the ability or lack of ability to pull the desired load I am building my truck to pull. I have an old truck left from when our youngest son passed away and my wife asked me if I would rebuild the truck because she too would be willing to drive it if I did so. She hates my present truck, too high to get into. The current engine is a 360 but I wish to pull a fifth wheel camper and piggy back the boat as well. I have learned that a four square engine is very efficient and should be a good pulling engine. I plan on using a C-6 tranny so the wife doesn't have to tend to the gears. I plan on building the engine into a 410 or actually obtaining a complete 410 to start with. That is as close to four square as I can get. Is it a well enough thought out proposition?
Thanks ahead of time for your responces.

Gear Up

Old 03-04-2006, 10:29 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine recently sold his 48 F-1 mounted on a 72 F250 frame. It also had the 360 engine and C6. He pulled a 25 foot travel trailer with it all over... even in the mountains of Tennessee. He was very satiffied with the pulling power of the 360. I would think a 410 would be even better.

Vern

Old 03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
410's are real nice, but the 428 cranks seem to be drying up.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have located several 428 cranks but you need to have the flex plate and harmonic balancer as they are externally balanced. If changing over to the 410 you also need the connecting rods from a 390. Have located a complete 410 that is supposed to be virgin. It would be a good place to start and all parts would be there to begin with. I won't have to tinkertoy something together. At this point I don't know if the engine has a four barrel set-up on it. If not I will have to locate an SP2P manifold and a carb to match my needs. I am considering making it run on E-85.
Thanks guys.

Gear Up