Yet another 3" exhaust thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another 3" exhaust thread...

My buddy is going to give me a 7' chuck of 3" pipe, I figured not to let it go to waste. I have a painfully bone stock 4.9 (EFI) with some serious rusted and busted exhaust (let’s just say the exhaust comes out the front of the muffler more than the back...).

So my point is not should I put it on, I have enough free time to warrant the installation, but more so should I be looking for a muffler too? Hadn't planned on it since I’m broke, but I can't stand overly loud exhaust either.

Planned on chopping the second cat, and run a reducer down to the stock pipe and run the whole 7 feet back. Maybe get a turndown tip.

Any tips/scoldings are welcome.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Yogi-96blazer
Senior User
Originally Posted by fattmann
My buddy is going to give me a 7' chuck of 3" pipe, I figured not to let it go to waste. I have a painfully bone stock 4.9 (EFI) with some serious rusted and busted exhaust (let’s just say the exhaust comes out the front of the muffler more than the back...).

So my point is not should I put it on, I have enough free time to warrant the installation, but more so should I be looking for a muffler too? Hadn't planned on it since I’m broke, but I can't stand overly loud exhaust either.

Planned on chopping the second cat, and run a reducer down to the stock pipe and run the whole 7 feet back. Maybe get a turndown tip.

Any tips/scoldings are welcome.
Not sure what kinda truck you got but my 69 f-100 is only 12 foot long from front bumper to back. 7 feet of pipe wouldnt fit under mine(I dont think) not without having a bender to make that hump over the rear axle... good luck.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM
bchunter
Elder User
I had a spare 3" from my diesel and put in on my truck. I put a flowmaster collecter (two to one) then a highflow cat, then the left over exhaust that had a Flowmaster 50 on it already. I notice no difference in power, but it doesn't bark as loud as I would like it, but hey, it was already paid for. I had to reroute my second 02 sensor to go in behind the cat. I say go for it if you can make it work. There are a ton of mufflers out there that I am sure you will find one you like.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Well it's on an 87 van, haven't done any mocking up yet, so not sure about fitting issues.
Probably looking to get a Walker downpipe down the road, so that should help.

You mentioned a second O2 sensor, are there really two? Only noticed the one, but haven't really studied the exhaust yet.

Thanks for the words of advice, will be sure to check that length clearance before buying anything else.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3" is to large for a stock 300.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 PM
fattmann
Tuned
And why is it too large? Not saying your views aren't wrong, or anything, just looking for your reasoning.

The pipe is free, that's my rational. I would tell GHog that 4" is too big, but he seems to love it.

Do you not like the sound of 3" or are you coming from a more mechanical aspect in that it is in fact detrimental to the performance? Just looking to get all sides and learn a few things (not very keen on the exhaust area).

Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Generally an increase of exhaust size of one step is ok, per say stock on out EFI 300s is 2.25, so moving up to 2.5 is ok.

going to 3" u will slow down the exhaust gas velocity to much, loosing low end torque. u have to think of an exhaust system like a complete system. it all needs to be "tuned" for the engine and thought out right. throwing anything larger than a single 2.5" pipe on a stock 300 is silly. and ghogs 4" stack is just down right ludicris, but he likes it so thats cool.

only when a 300 is built up to move enough air to make the 2.5" exhaust a bottle neck is when u run into trouble and that is usually when the head is ported, large cam is used or in a boosted application.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
fattmann
Tuned
I see, good points.

So I guess my next question would be- am I going to lose and noticable performace from the 3"? Not planning on doing any pulls in the near future, or building the motor (being broke sucks). Just the everyday hauls (heavy wood, furniture, illegal immigrants, etc).

Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
from talking with a friend who had 3" exhaust on his truck, he said didnt notice a loss but he went to 2.5 then and said it felt strnger so i would say u will loose some.

oh and its not im hauling illegals, its about hauling magic elves. i run a company that delivers magic elves to different jobs...they work cheaper and understand the jobs better.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 AM
fattmann
Tuned
Hmm, well I guess that'd good to know, and I've been wasting all this time evading customs officers!

Well like I said the 3" is free, and figured I'll use it. When I get around to doing full exhaust, the proper way, I'll keep your comments in mind and maybe give you a ring.

Thanks a bunch, all of you!

Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
np, comeback anytime.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Yogi-96blazer
Senior User
makes sense. there is something called too big,. i myself want to go 2 inch or 2 1/2 on my truck

Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 AM
GHog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fattmann
The pipe is free, that's my rational. I would tell GHog that 4" is too big, but he seems to love it.

Having never had the truck on a dyno, all I can go by is seat of the pants and it certainly doesn't feel like I've lost anything with the 4" pipe.

I'm trying to set up a pull but I'm having problems finding anyone who wants to hook right now.

I've got about 2 months before any organized pulls start, hopefully I can find a victim before then.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GHog
Having never had the truck on a dyno, all I can go by is seat of the pants and it certainly doesn't feel like I've lost anything with the 4" pipe.

I'm trying to set up a pull but I'm having problems finding anyone who wants to hook right now.

I've got about 2 months before any organized pulls start, hopefully I can find a victim before then.
Geez man that's not a good way to make friends! Jus kiddin...I'd hook em up with ya but I am waiting on a dropped pitman arm and my Offy DP. The pitman arm should be in any time, but the intake is on back order for 2-3 weeks. I bet all them Chebby boys think you dropped a Cummins under the hood! MMMM Cummins Power the possibilities!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Roushians
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm.. I have a 96 with the 4.9L I-6. Now, I measured the diameter of the pipe between the first and second cat, and it is indeed 3". So i was going to cut off the exhaust at the beginning of the 2nd cat (leaving the air injection and o2 sensor), and do 3" piping to the back.
Now I'm not sure what to do (listening to those good points made about backpressure)

Quick Reply: Yet another 3" exhaust thread...