Sponsored by: DP Tuner

rotors/pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 PM
BOA66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotors/pads?

I'm thinking of purchasing slotted heavyduty rotors and ceramic pads. Any suggestions where to buy? (on-line / stores)

Old 03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fan of the ART (Applied Rotor Technology) rotors. They sell pads too. Link here:
http://member.newsguy.com/~nutech/frames.html

They are more expensive than standard rotors, but due to them being cryogenicaly treated, they are suppose to resist warping a lot better than standard rotors, which seems to be a common problem on these big trucks.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 AM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
I'd skip the ceramic pads - I have read, (and was told at the parts store,) that you don't want to use ceramic pads on a heavy duty pick-up...

A popular choice around here is the Powerslot rotors, along with Hawk brake pads - do a seach and you'll get some reading. This option is probably what I will go with in the near future - if I towed a lot, I might consider the ART's - but they are kinda pricey!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

catman, did they tell you why not to use ceramic pads? I am in need of replacing my brake pads and was considering the ceramics. Does anyone know why not to use them? What brand pads does everyone recommend?

Old 03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Ceramic pads are not fade resistant. I think the Bendix site had a disclaimer about towing and ceramic pads.

I wanted ceramic for the low dust, but I tow a 5th wheel and gooseneck and didn't want to be without brakes just so my wheels stay cleaner.

If I didn't tow anything, I'd probably go with the ceramics. I have the Hawk Performance LTS pads. They do a good job and produce less dust than the NAPA heavy duty ones I had before.

A lot of people are very happy with Performance Frictions or other brands of carbon metallic. I did a similar post a while back, and most people liked the performance frictions. I decided to try something different to see what they were like.

Last edited by nhancock; 03-02-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Correction. From bosch website.

Q. How are ceramic brake pads different from semi-metallic brake pads?

A. Ceramic brake pads incorporate a formula that includes ceramic materials and utilizes less metal (approximately 15% metal content by weight). Ceramic brake pads combine exceptional braking power with very quiet and low-dust braking. However, it is not recommended to use ceramic brake pads for towing applications. Semi-Metallic brake pads incorporate a formula that utilizes approximately 40% or more metal content by weight. Semi-Met brake pads offer premium braking power and work particularly well for towing applications.

Not much detail, but the lack of fade resistance is what I've heard.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:35 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
The lack of fade resistance would be the logical reason for them to say "it is not recommended to use ceramic brake pads for towing applications." Towing can cause pads to fade. Faded pads can cause you to crash your truck.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:34 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Well I guess I'll stay away from ceramics, I dont tow alot but when I am I dont want to chance a crash!! I will look into some performance friction type pads. Thanks, Redboat

Old 03-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Crazygator
New User
I would stay away from any of the drilled rotors. They will crack and you'll have to replace them all over again. I have talked to a guy at www.horsepowerupgrades.com and they suggest the Powerslot Rotors and Hawk pads. You could get the Cryo rotors, where they freeze them, which is supposed to make them even better.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:59 AM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
I got mine from 4 wheel parts wharehouse 460 Power slots with the hawk pads thrown in inc shipping. But check on ebay for rotorpros.com I talked to Rich and he said they have drilled and sloted for 160 axel and claim no problems. Hope this helps LPR