Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My powerstroke is a dog?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
BowDown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My powerstroke is a dog?

Well I'm coming from a 2300lb ford focus with no performace mods, to a 2000 F350 crew cab, dually, shortbox w/126k on it & 700lbs of sand in the bed... It feels like a dog. I really have to get on it to keep up with normal traffic at stop lights, and it seems like the transmission could be shifting a little sooner?

I know this is a tow rig, but I would have expected a little more performance when not towing. Anything that I should check this weekend to possibly cause performance like this? Or am I just expecting too much? I can hear the turbo spool up, and am planning on installing a boost gauge soon to see how much boost I'm actually building.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
BowDown
Senior User
Oh ya, I'm doing normal prevenative stuff this weekend. Who knows when the last owner did it. So oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, and checking battery terminals will be done.

Anything else to check over?

Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Welcome and keep reading. For a few bones, you can add another 100 hp to that tow rig. I went from a v6 pushrod taurus to my 02 250 ext lb 2wd auto. The truck was just as fast as the taurus. When my wife drove the taurus, she would pull away just a tad before the next shift. However, when I got into the torque in the next higher gear, I would make up that difference.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
BowDown
Senior User
Ya, I was looking at the diablo setup. I'm mainly just trying to make sure there's nothing I'm really over looking in the stock form. I wanna make sure the stock setup is correct before I go reprogramming, adding exhaust, and intake stuff.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Bowdown, my diablosport predator is for sell if you're interested. I would think my truck is faster than a focus stock though. Eitherway, it's a completely different truck when chipped or tuned

Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well they make trucks to be trucks and racecars to be racecars.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 AM
SBChero
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
well they make trucks to be trucks and racecars to be racecars.
no kidding.

i drive a jeep liberty (dont ask its a company car and they pay for gas) and going from that to my f250 it feels like a dog.

but then i remember that i can tow a house w/ my truck and nothing w/ the jeep.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:11 AM
BowDown
Senior User
Well don't get me wrong. I knew going into this purchase I was buying a rig with alot of TQ, and a noisy diesel... I just expected the TQ to also assist me in getting up to speed. With the diablo does it make the transmission shift more like a car?

Old 03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
With my Diablo tuner you can adjust the trans to shift firm or extra firm.. (stock shifting is more like a car)..You want it to shift fast and not like a cars trans.. You will like the extra power that will get.. I leave my on the 60 hp, firm shift and it makes a big difference...

Old 03-01-2006, 12:36 PM
skibender
Senior User
I think you are expecting too much. It's a diesel. They are not designed for quick starts. Your truck probably weighs more than 7500 lbs. Check the air filter - make sure your gauge is ok on the housing.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
When I bought my Excursion, I thought the same thing. It had enough power to tow, but didn't seem to "take off" like my gasser did. Well the fact is, in stock form, the 7.3 psd won't jump off the line. The turbo is slow to spool up and the throttle response is much different than a gasser. Plus, there's so much pedal that it feels like you are giving it more than you are. Every time I drive my wife's van, I send things flyin' when i hit the gas. I'm used to really putting my foot in it. You might also find you have some clogged filters when you do maintenance. Check the intercooler boots and make sure they are tight.

Now, if you want to start modding, you can make that PSD feel like a race car! Get gauges, intake, exhaust, chip etc.. and you won't believe how much power these motors have. FWIW, I just went from a predator tuner to a DP Tuner chip, man what a difference. Huge, efficient power and much better shifting. I should have done the chip first! The cost isn't that much more and it's nice to be able to flip the switch to 120 hp if you want to race a bit! You will see a lot of guys here are selling their Predators and getting one of Jody's chips. I had a Sonnax kit installed in the trans. to firm up shifting, just switched to a BTS valve body and it is much better! Costs more, but worth it. Jody at DP Tuner highly recommends the BTS valve body as he can program better shifting.

You will find that if you start the mods you won't be able to stop! With more power, you want even more power. It's very addicting!

Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stroker wasnt a dog when i got it stock, but it wasnt a dragster either. Now with the mods, this thing will leave a huge cloud of black smoke and hual the mail. With my evo at 100hp and the attitude at setting 5, holy cow, look out. Not to mention this thing will pull pretty much anything you put behind it. I regularly put a 9k trailer on it, with 16k worth of stuff on the trailer, and go down the interstate at 75.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
BowDown
Senior User
Very sweet.

I bought a new air filter just to swap it out. I know I will put some kind of intake on it eventually, but this weekend is all about the PM.

My coworker has a diablo predator tuner that he used on his truck (about 1.5yr ago, 2001 7.3L) will this work on my 2000 7.3L? If so I will buy it from him?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BowDown
My coworker has a diablo predator tuner that he used on his truck (about 1.5yr ago, 2001 7.3L) will this work on my 2000 7.3L? If so I will buy it from him?
That should work on yours.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
crzybowhntr
New User
Check the Fuel filter i had the same problem! It looked as though it was in the bottom of a coal mine for 100 years! Changed it and what a difference it made!

Quick Reply: My powerstroke is a dog?