Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Serpetine Belt/ tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Lushman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serpetine Belt/ tensioner

I have a 2000 F350 with 71K miles and the original serpentine belt. I am obviously due to replace the belt, but do most people also replace the tensioner at the same time? What brand of belts are recomended and where is everybody purchasing them for a good price? The local for dealer wanted almost $75 for just the belt!!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought a napa belt, it squeeked like crazy. Now its the spare behind the back seat.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:57 PM
444in.ofgoodness
Freshman User
I'm about due to replace the belt on my 02; I just turned 85k and it's wearing the OE belt. I'm not sure which belt I'll go with - either Gates or Ford, it'll depend on what kind of deal our parts department can get me. One thing I know for certain: it's getting a new tensioner. Ford's used the same basic design on their tensioners for 25 years, and they still can't build one that won't blow up. I figure that the price of a new tensioner is much less than calling a rollback from the side of the higway. Besides, once the belt's off, it's only a couple of bolts.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Lushman
Elder User
Thanks. I had heard from a friend that owns a NAPA store and he said the NAPA belts were not all that great and on my truck to stay with the Ford belt. I am just trying to find it a bit cheaper than my local dealer. Has anybody used the Gates belt on this truck. I have the dual alternators as well. Does this effect the life of the belt?

Old 02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My belt is from CarQuest, no problems.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Lushman
Elder User
A quick update. I found the actuall Ford serpentine belt for my truck with the dual alternators for $33.79 and a Gates tensioner for $53.79 at www.rockauto.com I searched around and this seemed to be the best price I could find for the actuall Ford Motorcraft part. Seemed good to me since like I said earlier, my local Ford dealer wanted almost $75 for the exact same belt. That website also has other brands and is very easiy to use and then lists all of your options. Sorry to some of the other sponsor here, but I do purchase form them as well (Like the exhaust, guages, air filter this morning!)

Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Lushman
A quick update. I found the actuall Ford serpentine belt for my truck with the dual alternators for $33.79 and a Gates tensioner for $53.79 at www.rockauto.com I searched around and this seemed to be the best price I could find for the actuall Ford Motorcraft part. Seemed good to me since like I said earlier, my local Ford dealer wanted almost $75 for the exact same belt. That website also has other brands and is very easiy to use and then lists all of your options. Sorry to some of the other sponsor here, but I do purchase form them as well (Like the exhaust, guages, air filter this morning!)
I got my serpentine belt and several other parts at Rock Auto, good prices.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
bhd
Senior User
AGAIN!
the FT forum has the answer I'm looking for!
awsome.
that is all.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by bhd
AGAIN!
the FT forum has the answer I'm looking for!
awsome.
that is all.