Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hypertech powerIII programer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:29 PM
scottty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech powerIII programer

Hi I have a 99-1/2 F-250 WITH THE 6-SPEED i was wondering if anyone has used the hypertech power programer. My engine is completely stock. Do you think that this programer would help on fuel milage. Thank you for you'r help

Old 02-23-2006, 04:15 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello scottty
I've been using the hypertech programer for over 2 years now and kept detail records on milage, in town driving,highway and towing, and the numbers show now increase in mpg when using the programer.

Time for the DP tuner, not for mpg, But for better performance and the cool down setting.

I would'nt buy the hypertech if your thinking of getting a programer. IMO

Old 02-24-2006, 06:54 AM
bowedup2003
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to dissagree but I have the Hypertech programmer on my '99 and I love it. I am sure there are several other programmers/chips/etc that may produce more power, but the drivability and towing power is excellent!

If you are just looking for alittle more performance and towing power for a stock application, then I would reccomend it, if you want a real hot rod then look somewhere else.

Bowedup

Old 02-24-2006, 07:34 AM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Ditto, I have had the Hypertech for a little over a year now. Not as good on performance as the chips I had but a lot more dependable. Gives a definite boost in power over stock. Fuel economy was not as good as chip either, but still better than stock. I am using the stage 2 when I tow and 3 when not. The stage 1 seemed to have less power than stock. Also nice to be able to get the trouble codes. All in all not to bad though I am thinking of going and getting an edge Module. Like the Idea of being able to change settings quick. The Hypertech takes about 1/2 hour to 45 min to change settings. Hope this helps. LPR

Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by LONEPINERON
The Hypertech takes about 1/2 hour to 45 min to change settings. Hope this helps. LPR
I wish mine only took 1/2 hour to 45 min to install. It usually takes 2 to 3 time for it to take or change settings, Had to send it back to hypertech twice because it would'nt down load program to truck. Had to make countless number of calls to hypertech so they could tell me different way to try programing that are not in any of the instructions that they give you. ( little tricks they only know ). As you can tell, i had more then my share of problems with Hypertech. If others are happy with there hypertech programers, that GREAT. They should be for the $ 425.00 they paid for it.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:13 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First hand experience here, if you're going to spend the money on a programmer, don't go Hypertech. My truck had one with it when I bought it. I later quit using the Hypertech and instead used a Diablo Predator. The differences between the two werer definately noticeable, and I think the Predator is cheaper. I'm not trying to put the Hypertech down, but just relaying my first hand experiences.

However, my Predator is now gone, and I have installed a DP Tuner 6-position flip chip. I can't express enough how much better I like the DP chip over a tuner. Adjustability on the fly, so you don't have to turn the truck off or even quit driving to change programs, more power, lower EGT's, and a much better shifting tune. My 6-position chip ran a total of $475 delivered to my door -- only $50 less than the Hypertech. If you're looking to spend that much money, please take my suggestion and do it right, get a DP chip. You can also get a 4-position chip for under $400!! Run some searches here on the forum about DP Tuner (also known as DP chip, Jody's chip - Jody Tipton is the guy who makes them) and you'll find no one that is dissatisfied with the product. And you'll find a lot of guys who have, like me & maevans, who have switched from a tuner to a chip. This forum is a great resource for information, but take this to heart: go with the chip over the tuner. You can also check out the DP Tuner website for more info here: http://www.dp-tuner.com/index.htm

Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
My Predator is for sale. The Predator is really fast in loading tunes. About two minutes or so, probably less per tune. If I was to go tuner, definitely Predator. But like all is saying, DP-Tuner chip is better.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:34 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
The Hypertech is not as likely to kill you motor as the others are. I have on been running it for 128,000 miles on my 01. If you are looking for the most HP and TG gains don't go with the Hypertech. It is dependable.

I will say something about there customer service. It's just plain and simply Lousy!! The one time I took my Programmer out to have the codes checked at the Dealership. The tech flashed the newest transmission program and the Hypertech would not reinstall. I called the Hypertech customer service and the SOB (JIM) on the other end of the line called me a liar!! He told me I had installed the thing in another truck!! When I buy a new Programmer for my 05 or 06 It will not be a Hypertech for that reason alone!!

The product is good the people behind it are not!!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:50 AM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
The Hypertech is not as likely to kill you motor as the others are. I have on been running it for 128,000 miles on my 01. If you are looking for the most HP and TG gains don't go with the Hypertech.
Well I heard just the opposite - that they ARE hard on motors, and have taken out a few!! I would never run a Hypertech on my truck - even if it was given to me!!

Old 02-25-2006, 08:42 AM
scottty
Junior User
Thank you all for the help. What I am looking for is simply the most reliable power for towing a heavy load without any added ware on the engine. Or should I leave the engine stock and install a filter intake and an exhaust for the most reliability and engine life.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i am another "convert" i had the Edge Juice, then stacked the Evolution on it, and then decided on a chip, so i sold the Juice, and ran the evolution solo. (all of this with a sonnax/springs) and the transmission shifted horribly. i went with a chip and it is alot better. i run it on stock to warm it up (it is noticably LOUDER with a performance tune in use, with stock, you can barely hear the engine) and it reminds me why i got a chip in the first place. the TS perf. chip i have has the firm shifting code with it. now this i don't like, because it shifts entirely too hard with the sonnax in. im getting my chip reburnt (at BCDP) free of charge, to put the stock transmission tune back in. i may upgrade to a BTS valve body, all this hype about it, i NEED one.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
i may upgrade to a BTS valve body, all this hype about it, i NEED one.
Hmmmm.... You bet you do!!

Old 02-25-2006, 09:12 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Edge with juice has a reputation for killing the trannys!! Never heard that out of Hypertech!!

Old 02-25-2006, 09:34 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
Edge with juice has a reputation for killing the trannys!! Never heard that out of Hypertech!!
know why? it's because the Juice module does NOTHING to modify the transmission. no shift points moved, no line pressure added, nothing! the extra power and torque running through the transmission will beat it up eventually and the transmission will say "no more, enough of this shi...stuff" the programmers ALL add some sort of line pressure, according on the horsepower added. that is why i tried the evolution on top of the juice. but it just seemed to cancel the evolution out, the extra power the Juice added. see what i mean?

Old 02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

My truck whistles while it works.
strokin_it7.3 That would be a great bumper sticker for are PSD,

Quick Reply: Hypertech powerIII programer