gutless 460!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
75fordkid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i appreciate all of you guy's input. So basically i need to get rid of the CJ intake, or if i change the gaskets will this help. And if i do get rid of the CJ intake i should go get an edelbrock performer??? I dont know about the block or heads being decked, i dont know exactly what cam is in this thing, i am running a stock dizzy that i had recurved, and im running stock electronic ignition. So with all that said preety much the only thing i can do is change the intake????

Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Brad Johnson
Elder User
The intake will work for now. Just get it sealed up right. It's costing you a little low-end but it's workable, you already have the thing bought, and new gaskets are cheap. Focus on the exhaust. That's the single worst problem you have right now. Just guessing, I'd say the factory logs are costing you at least 35-40 hp.

Brad

Old 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM
75fordkid
Junior User
allrite so headers are my best bet then?????

Old 02-24-2006, 04:01 PM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell more about the truck. What kind of tranny,tire size and gearing? The intake you have now is fine. Did you install it or did the shop. Find out what gaskets were used before you pull that 75 lb. intake.The ignition is good to,you might want to add a MSD 6 ingnition box. Is the carb new?

Old 02-24-2006, 10:17 PM
75fordkid
Junior User
my mortors got a Np 435 behind it, im running 35 inch tires rite now, but i usually run 38's. I have 4:10 gears, I put this intake on but i never thought about getting different intake gaskets. The carb is a brand new 750 edelbrock, so ur thinking that a msd ign, box will help me?

Old 02-25-2006, 01:20 AM
ron_29_1973
Senior User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Oh brother here we go again with the DOVE heads, they ain't gonna gain you squat. as a couple of others have pointed out your running a mismatch of parts here that is killing the potential of the engine, and "RV" cam (I hate terms like that, it doesn't tell you a darn thing, and can mean basically anything but for the most part all I think about when I hear it is a cam intented for use in a motorhome, and I don't think of performance, and motorhome in the same sentence) you then put a HP manifold on that is intented for a completly different power range with ports that are killing your velocity of your air/fuel mix expecially at the low rpms the cam is intended for. you need to work on getting those 2 items closer matched before even bothering to think about headers. go look at a performer or performer rpm intake either one is gonna gain you a lot of low end seat of the pants feel.
And don't bother looking for the DOVE heads, unless you want to waste money chasing the dream performance or just want to be able to say you have DOVE heads cause it sounds impressive.
hum well i know i put a set of dove head's on a 76 460 one time and i could tell it was stronger over the smog head's it worked for me but whatever.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:05 AM
75fordkid
Junior User
well im gunna keep my d3ve heads, im just trying to find out whats gunna get me some more power.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Oh brother here we go again with the DOVE heads, they ain't gonna gain you squat. as a couple of others have pointed out your running a mismatch of parts here that is killing the potential of the engine, and "RV" cam (I hate terms like that, it doesn't tell you a darn thing, and can mean basically anything but for the most part all I think about when I hear it is a cam intented for use in a motorhome, and I don't think of performance, and motorhome in the same sentence) you then put a HP manifold on that is intented for a completly different power range with ports that are killing your velocity of your air/fuel mix expecially at the low rpms the cam is intended for. you need to work on getting those 2 items closer matched before even bothering to think about headers. go look at a performer or performer rpm intake either one is gonna gain you a lot of low end seat of the pants feel.
And don't bother looking for the DOVE heads, unless you want to waste money chasing the dream performance or just want to be able to say you have DOVE heads cause it sounds impressive.
I've read several post of yours that you aren't impressed with the DOVE heads. And you do obviously know more about 460's that I do but I still don't understand it. I own 3 sets of 460 heads. C9, D2 and D3. Three days ago I had all heads next to each other with valves removed. If you look through the exhaust ports and into the comubstion chamber you can see twice as much through the C9's as you can the others. What I'm saying is the exhaust ports are completely pathetic on D3's, it's a fact. On a D3 when you look throught the exaust port you can barely even see the valve stem! The C9's are much more open, nothing compared to Edelbrocks but still much better than a D3. Then you have a benefit of compression but I won't go there.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Blown 331
Originally Posted by ron_29_1973
hum well i know i put a set of dove head's on a 76 460 one time and i could tell it was stronger over the smog head's it worked for me but whatever.
I'm going to have to agree with you. Click on this compression ratio calculator.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/motor.html

Plug in these numbers.
Bore 4.360
Stroke 3.85
Cyinders 8
Head cc's. I used 76 for DO and 96 for D3
Piston dome -22
Gasket thickness I used .051 and added .022 for the tall deck D1

For DO heads I came up with 9.1 to 1 compression and D3's I came up with 7.9 to 1.

Raising 1.2 to 1 on the compression and having better exhaust ports has to do something.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 AM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

sorry to disappoint anyone but heres the flow numbers on stock doves and d3"s at 600 .279/135=dove, 270/129=d3ve, not a whole lot of difference there on stock castings

Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 AM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
a performer intake and a 2" 4hole spacer is a good combo. i run one on my 429 right now

Last edited by fordsrgrt; 02-25-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Blown 331
Originally Posted by fordsrgrt
sorry to disappoint anyone but heres the flow numbers on stock doves and d3"s at 600 .279/135=dove, 270/129=d3ve, not a whole lot of difference there on stock castings
Interesting. I can't see how that can be on the exhaust side but I guess a bigger port isn't always better. Where did you get those numbers?
I also just sold my Performer intake because the ports were smaller than the ports on a stock cast iron intake, but again bigger insn't always better. I do believe I will be ordering an air gap.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:18 AM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the very first post you will see that the motor has flat top pistons and D3 heads. Very good combo for street comp. You put DOVE heads on it and it will run like crap becuase the comp. will be to high for todays crap gas. Been there done that. Put them on a 76 dish piston motor and yes it will run better because you now have the same comp. as a flat top D3 motor, but the flat top D3 motor will have better quench and run better.

This is the order I would do things in.

1st. Change intake gaskets and or intakes. If you wanna put an aluminum intake on you can sell the CJ. They are bringing $100 pretty easy on e-bay. Then see how it runs.

2nd. Put an ignition box on it. MSD, Accel, ect.

3rd. headers. They are not cheap is why I put them last. they will cost $400+ for new ones.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:42 AM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
my suggestion for headers should you decide to get some would be a set of stans tri y headers,excellant quality but like greenhighboy stated not cheap,good luck.blown331 the numbers are from Scott aka the mad porter

Old 02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
barca_texas
Senior User
about the MSD box...and carb spacer...

Curious, what advantage can you get by changing the DurasparkII box to the MSD box? High rev I understand, but what if our 460's stay below 5500rpms?
And how much improvement might I see with a 4 hole spacer on my Offy Single plane intake? I dont want swap intakes right now, (time) but I can testify about choosing the wrong intake combo.. I lost a ton of low end by using a single plane intake, (I would like to get some back by adding the spacer if it would help) but at 3k rpms+ it sure is fun!
"Monster" suggested a good brand of spacer a while back but I cant remember the name. Are performance results similar between brands?
Barca....

Quick Reply: gutless 460!!!