Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

What welder to get

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:06 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
What welder to get

Old 09-27-2002, 03:08 PM
FordPerf300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What welder to get

My garage is soon to be done and i'd like to buy a welder and I really don't know which one to get. I'd like to get a welder strong enough to handle what i throw at it, but i'm 18 and i don't have alot of money. I know how to use a mig but to get one that welds thick steel costs $400+. I've seen many stick welders that are reasonably priced and weld thick steel, i have my eyes on a 230 amp century, is that too much?

Old 09-27-2002, 03:18 PM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
What welder to get

if you plan on doing mostly body work, and work on your truck, a mig is the only way to go.. stick is no good for body work...

whatever you buy, get a 220v model, if you want to do any "serious" welding.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:57 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
What welder to get

>if you plan on doing mostly body work, and work on your
>truck, a mig is the only way to go.. stick is no good for
>body work...

-Ditto, and stick requires a lot more skill than mig.

>whatever you buy, get a 220v model, if you want to do any
>"serious" welding.

Your only consideration here is where you will be doing your welding. 220V outlets aren't very common, unless you are in Europe etc.

Some of the better 110V units will work very well for up to 1/4" which is good enough for light truck work. Another thing to consider is that standard 110 outlets are not rated for 20A service. You will need to install actual 20A outlets if you want to do anything serious with one of the 110V units.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:41 PM
8996EBBroncos
Elder User
What welder to get

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Sep-02 AT 09:44 PM (EST)]If you're gonna need alotta strenght then a stick is the way to go. But for occasional use I would go with the mig. I say this because I spend alot of time in a welding shop. When ever I bring my tough stuff that wants to break in, they use the stick. The guys tell me it is alot sturdier weld than a mig weld. The stick will get alot hotter than the mig evidently, because they are always sure to turn the machine WAY up before welding with it.

Old 09-28-2002, 06:33 AM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
What welder to get

a weld done with a mig, using 70,000 psi rated wire, will yeild as strong a weld as stick using 7018, provided that everything is done properly by a qualified welder. but, it is easier and takes less prep work with a stick welder.

as for 110 welders, they do work ok for up to 1/4", but if your going to run heavier wiring to use it, why not put in a good 220v outlet, and make an extension cord for it.. that's how our 250 amp miller mig has been setup for the last 15 years, and in our 24x30 fab shop, it can reach anywhere you need to go...(hint, mig doesn't work well outside unless using flux cored) as for stick, it's mounted to the wall with a set of 50' cables... if we need to go further then that, we have a 300 amp lincoln, portable (runs off a 200 6cyl ford) that's mounted in our 79' c-30 cube van.

if your gonna do alot of "everywhere" welding, maybe a small portable is the answer.

ok. i'm gonna stop rambling.. good luck with your welder, and enjoy your new garage.

Old 09-28-2002, 08:43 AM
stumpy2
Senior User
What welder to get

Hi all. I highly recomend, if you can afford it:P the smae welder I just finally broke down and bought........a Lincoln Powermig 255 :P . Expensive but worth it! Although I have done well for 20 years with a Lincoln 225 buzz box. You can also find them cheap used, as people tend to move up and sell them as they don't use them as much, just take up space. Well i'll stop rambling. Happy hunting.

Old 09-28-2002, 01:24 PM
FordPerf300
Posting Guru
What welder to get

We are getting a 220V outlet put in (couldn't persuade my father into a 3 phase outlet) so voltage isn't a problem. Cost is a big concern as well as strength. I need strong welds when i do my solid axle swap on to my 93 truck. I'm sure mig would be just fine.. but I don't want to spend much over $250.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:14 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts
What welder to get

My recommendation as a former production welder...GO BIG BLUE
Get a Miller. Especially if you get a 230V. The Millermatic 251 will weld 1/2 in one pass. What's that you say...sheet metal. It will also work very nicely with 16ga and will work with 22ga if set right. It probably the best bang for the buck.Around $1800 depending on where you go. Try WWW.MILLERWELDS.COM They also have a cool wallpaper!

Now if you want to go with a 120V unit, then my personal choice is the Hobart 135. It has the best range of settings, and will weld 1/4" in one pass if you take your time.

Stryder

Old 10-01-2002, 01:38 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
What welder to get

Hobart 135, -Nice unit :-)

Speaking of welders... Has anyone tried to connect a wire feed unit to a Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC welder? I have a Miller wire feed unit off an industrial welder that takes the big spools of wire and is set up for gas also. I also have the mini-spool gun that is set up for aluminum also. I would like to be able to weld sheet metal on my project truck.

Old 10-01-2002, 03:19 PM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
What welder to get

torque, never tried it, but i know they use those units with 450v inverter welders, i'd talk to a couple company reps about it,, someone must have tried it b4

Old 10-02-2002, 11:31 AM
fordy
Senior User
What welder to get

A mig welder can be kind of deceitful at times. You can have a great looking weld but cut through it and the penetration is next to nil (surface weld). From my own observations (I am not a professional welder) penetration is controlled by the wire feed rate:
Amp setting will be determined by metal thickness/Wire feed rate will determine penetration.
i) fast wire speed = less penetration (the heat goes into melting the wire and not the base metal)
ii) slow wire speed = more penetration (the heat goes more to melting the base metal than wire)
I would think then that a low amp setting with wire speed set at a point where the wire is not yet pushing the torch would be ideal for bodywork

I would go with the MIG as well but make note of the above.
If I am not right on the above please feel free to straighten me out
Fordy

Old 10-18-2002, 11:22 PM
zip63
New User
What welder to get

I have a Hobart 135 mig, and its a great little welder I
have welded 3/4" steel with it, when I ripped the lift arms off my tractor. It did take forever to weld though.because the duty cyle is 20% which means if your welding alot it will shut down to cool off.Whatever you get just remember to get one that you can replacement parts. that you don't have to wait for a month.
Have fun finding one!!!!zip

Old 10-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Avanti
Elder User
What welder to get

A couple of welding questions for you experts. When welding on a Ford truck should you disconnect the battery so as not to harm the ECM computer? What gauage are the fenders and body metals of 92 Ford F150 trucks & 93 Aerostars? My welder will work up to 18 gauage.Thanks for any info.

Old 10-29-2002, 06:25 AM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
What welder to get

i'm not sure if it would hurt your comp. but it only takes a second to unhook that batter and be sure... as for body thickness.. i'm not totally sure, but most body panels are 18 ga, or thinner.

Quick Reply: What welder to get