Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Off road diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Off road diesel

I can get off road diese delivered to me with a 500 gal tank and electric pump to use for $2.25 a gal vs. $2.53 gal at the pump here in North Florida, plus a one time $50.00 set up fee.
Is there anything wrong or not as good about using the off road diesel in my 7.3?
If so, can I use more fuel additive to make up for it?
If so, should I install a pre-filter?

Old 02-18-2006, 06:25 AM
John970
Freshman User
I'd as look at Bio-Diesel.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:15 AM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send me the $1,000 to hold for you as that is what it would cost ya for the fine for using off road fuel in you road worthy vehical and if ya do it again and get caught, add another $10,000 for the second time. Thats the plain facts if ya live in Kansas as I do....don't know what the rules are in Florida.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:35 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
It will run in your truck just fine with no additives. But don't be real suprised when the federal marshals pull up in your yard.
Joe

Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 AM
mjtpolice76
Senior User
yea the tax man will get you thats why there is a difference in price taxes

Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 AM
jessejames88
Junior User
the problem with the off road diesel is the dye is super consentrated and even if theres a small amount left in the tank it will take many tank fulls to get rid of the dye. my friend has an auxilary tank used for fueling site equipment in his bed and some times fills with on road diesel sometimes off road diesel after filling with the off road even the next 3-5 tank fulls of on road will still look like off road. i also have another friend who put off road in a 6.0 to get home from a jobsite. he said it smoked and had no power. but in my opinion no damage to the engine can result. my kenworth was used onsite for over a year and ran perfect on off road diesel.(fuel filters were fine) it did smoke a little more. with very slight loss of power... in my opinion it is a lower grade of fuel (bottom of the barrel) but i'm sure its hit and miss. if you going to pump it out of a tank deff put some anti-water additives. diesel absorbs moisture... my .02

Old 02-18-2006, 09:25 AM
pbr man
Elder User
Off road diesel basically does not have the federal and state taxes added to it, so it is cheaper. In some places it is a high sulfer content diesel and that will make your engine smoke a little more. Where I am in North Idaho they get both on and off road diesel out of the same tank and just add dye to the designated off road fuel. The DOT sets up check stations along the road several during the year to check for dyed diesel in pickup and logging trucks. $1000 for first offense and up to $1000 per gallon second offense, it is up to their discression. I have run it on occasion in a pinch and it takes weeks to get rid of the color. One ounce will color 100 gallons, so it gets in you filter and return lines and keeps contaminating the cleean fuel. The botton line is that it won't hurt your motor but will hurt your wallet if you get caught.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:45 AM
misterfisher
Tuned
Diesel

You would have to be getting it cheaper then that to make it worth while. At a MAXIMUM savings of $0.27 per gallon, your max savings per tank will be $135. This hardly covers the costs of Baldwin Filters (For your pump I hope), a large 10x10ft oil patch that will inevitably develop in your yard around the tank, the risk of getting pinched for red diesel, and WORST of all, the sh**ty smell of gross diesel over everything including you every time you go to pump it. I have a 300 gallon tank, but that is because where I live, the heating oil tank servicing guys sell their removed oil for about $1.50 US per gallon, and it is NOT dyed (Vancouver Island, BC). At THAT price point, I think it becomes worth it with no risk of getting tagged, but you will find that you will have a set of "fill up" clothes around the house. Get a commercial cardlock card, where I live, you can save upwards of $0.20 per litre (That is about $0.75 US per gallon), and you just pull up to the nice cardlock, fill up, and go on without the pain in the #!@%^! of a stinky oil tank in your yard, as well as the pump to service it and run it. BTW, the BIG cardlock pumps fill your tank in about 30 seconds provided your tank is vented well

Last edited by misterfisher; 02-18-2006 at 11:51 AM.