1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Fender flare questions... Who's got 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender flare questions... Who's got 'em?

I am considering installing a set of fender flares to try to keep my truck a little cleaner longer. I love my lift and tire setup, but the tires stick out enough to throw mud, water, whatever, onto my truck. It doesn't stay clean long.

I was just wondering who here has added fender flares, either aftermarket or Ford stock? Any recommendations on brands to look at or stay away from?
How was the install?
Not looking for anything really flashy or shiny either. Some plain white smooth flares that would hardly be noticed would be ideal.

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
amm888
Elder User
i'd give you my stock flares if i could get them off (w/out leaving holes) - think they're really make much of a difference in terms of keeping the truck clean?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Onespeed24
Elder User
I dunno, I would think they would help a little. Mostly what I am talking about is the water/dirty water that gets thrown up on the fenders when going through some standing water. If it's raining then I got no choice, but I live in San Diego and that very rarely happens. Since the tires stick out about 1.5" from the fender I figured it gets a lot more of that crap on there than a stock wheel/tire setup that is tucked up underneath more.
When it's clean I you can tell I have gone through some water because there is a nice little spotty pattern of water spots on both ront and rear, but especially on the front.
Who knows, maybe that is just the price I have to pay for having bigger tires?

Old 02-16-2006, 01:11 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
It's the price you pay.

I don't know that the stock flares would be wide enough for you. You may want to give Bushwacker a call and see if they have anything. I know they do a few different sizes from factory looking, to an inch or 2 wider than factory, to their cut-out flares that not only stick out about 3 inches but also require cutting of the wheelwell to open it up more. I have the cut-out flares on my big bronco. I definitely wouldn't do something like that on the newer Expy though.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Yeah, no cutting for me. I have seen a few options in the Stylin' Concepts catalog that look O.K. but I just wanted to know if they were decent or crap before I bought them. I saw a really nice F-150 today with some aftermarket flares on it. I waited to see if the guy was gonna come out of one of the stores but I had to leave so I didn't get a chance to find out the brand.
Problem is most shops don't stock that kind of stuff so I can't really go do a test fit without ordering first. I'll look at Bushwacker too, thanks...

Maybe I'll just spend the money on a super-duper wax job instead...

Old 02-16-2006, 01:46 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Well, Bushwacker's website doesn't have any applications listed for the GenII Expy. But you can submit a vote to make one. http://www.bushwacker.com/search_fender.asp I voted for a Pocket Style application with a 2 inch coverage.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Cool, thanks for the link. I just voted for the same thing...