Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
xnorp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pads

Just a quick question. I have a 2000 F 250 SD PS. I am going to do a brake job on my truck. The question I have is the Ceramic better than the metallic ones? I am going to get them at Napa and they have both. I am hauling a camper which is a heavy load. I would not like to experience brake fad and would like the feel of a more positive stopping power. I am not going to be able to buy new rotors at this time just interested in the opinions on ceramic compared to heavy duty metallic ones. Thanks in advance.
xnorp

Old 02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
nhancock
Senior User
According to the manufacturers, you should not buy ceramic if you are towing. They are not resistent to fade. Could put you in a bad situation.

I wanted ceramics for the low/no dust characteristics, but avoided them because I also tow a camper. I recently went with Hawk Performance LTS pads. They seem to be pretty good so far, but I haven't pulled a long distance with them yet.

They are advertised as low dust, but I haven't done enough driving yet to determine if that is true. They also offer a heavy duty pad that is specifically for towing/heavy use. It sounds like it is an aggressive pad, so it will wear fast and produce a lot of dust. But it is supposed to be the best for fade resistance stopping ability, etc.

A lot of people are happy with the performance frictions or other brands of carbon metallic's. I decided to try something new.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
xnorp,

He's right stay away from ceramic, all they for you is last a loooong time, but the braking performance is very poor. Take a look at the Hawk HPS or Super Duty for "normal" to hard usage or step up to the LTS if you need more. I would also suggest changing rotors while you're at it, get the Powerslot slotted rotors. Between the Hawk pads and the Powerslot rotors you'll be amazed at how well your truck will stop. Give us a call, we stock them both and will be glad to help you with questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI