1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Wireless Headphones

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
beachrover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless Headphones

The wireless headphones that came with my 2004 Expedition were recently broken. I purchased a new set and cannot get them to work. This is the 4th different set that I've bought and none work. I can hear static when I am in front of the DVD player and hear it fade out when I move away from it but no sound from the DVD itself. Help!!!!

Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Jaysen
New User
Got the same problem let us no if you have found the answer. Also trying to find a way to play sound through the navigation system?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
I'm not sure if all wireless headphones are universal. When I bought my Expedition used there were no headphones for the DVD player. I went into the dealership and literally dug through a cardboard box of about 20 headphones and me and the sales guy tried them all until I found one that worked, turned out to be Audiovox. Then to get a universal remote to work I had to know the brand and model of the DVD, so I pulled it down to look at the label underneath, and it is an Audiovox also. Point is, the only headphones that worked just happen to be the same brand. I ended up buying another set of the Audiovox headphones off Ebay once I knew they would work. I didn't have to program anything or change a setting on the phones, so I assume they either are brand specific or designed to pick-up any signal withing range, or at least the strongest signal. The big question here is are all phones compatible with all units, ie. universal, or are they brand specific, or some are some aren't? Surely someone here knows the answer.

Do you know the brand of your player? Are you trying the same brand of headphones?

Another thing... how long are you giving it to see if they work?
On my setup it takes about 45 seconds to a minute after powering the headphones on before they pick up the signal from the DVD player. I have an FM modulater wired in somehow so the sound comes out of my stereo, but the headphones lag behind like a minute before they start working. All you hear before that is the static hiss you described. This could be your issue too.

For Jaysen: How do you mean play through the navigation system? Doesn't that come through your stereo too? If so, all you need is an FM modulator to play it through your stereo.

Last edited by Onespeed24; 02-15-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:22 AM
beachrover
New User
Originally Posted by Onespeed24
Do you know the brand of your player? Are you trying the same brand of headphones?

Another thing... how long are you giving it to see if they work?
On my setup it takes about 45 seconds to a minute after powering the headphones on before they pick up the signal from the DVD player. I have an FM modulater wired in somehow so the sound comes out of my stereo, but the headphones lag behind like a minute before they start working. All you hear before that is the static hiss you described. This could be your issue too.
No, I don't kow the brand of the DVD player, I've tried the Audiovox as well as 3 other brands. I've also sat in the back seat for up to somewhere near 5 minutes screwing around with it so I don't think that is the issue. I've also been to 2 different dealerships and they can't get a pair that works or answer my question. Really annoying that the dealer cannot offer any cure.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:48 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Jason to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 AM
bigfishford
Junior User
I have a 05 Exped with the factory DVD player. I currently use four headsets at a time (two different brands) without any problem. I purchased two of them on Ebay for around $20 delivered each. If you have the factory player, just go on Ebay and buy yourself the OEM replacements for Ford and they should work fine.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:30 AM
beachrover
New User
Originally Posted by bigfishford
I have a 05 Exped with the factory DVD player. I currently use four headsets at a time (two different brands) without any problem. I purchased two of them on Ebay for around $20 delivered each. If you have the factory player, just go on Ebay and buy yourself the OEM replacements for Ford and they should work fine.
That's exactly where I got the last set from. I think I paid $89.00 for the pair, they even came in a "Ford" box.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Jaysen
New User
Well the Navigation system is part of the stereo not sure if it has the Fm modulator, there is a button with headpones on it but that didnt work just mutes the radio in the navigatition system.
I Just bought the truck and the guy I bought it from was a car sales man with no knowledge of how any thing worked. So thats why Im trying to figure it out before I have to pay 65 an hour at the car audio place
Head phones were in a box in the trunk, so I would think they would work, everything is Clarion. Please see my gallery for specs. Thanks

Last edited by Jaysen; 02-15-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:59 PM
beachrover
New User
I gave up on the headphones until a friend called today. They pointed me to a Ford delaership and the parts manager really new her stuff. She said that Ford used 2 different DVD players, one for the trucks with sun roofs and one for the ones without. She said that Ford actually has 4 sets of headphones that they sell as OEM equipment but that most owners should only worry about whether or not they have a sun roof or not. Apparently, the factory DVD player with the sunroof operates on a different MHz than the one without. The DVD player used in the trucks with sun roofs operates on the standard MHz that most in car entertainment systems do this is why it is easy to get "aftermarket" headphones for these units.

Anyway, 2 new headphones and new remote ordered and will be delivered tomorrow for $125.00. Wish I had of found her 4 sets ago.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:04 PM
bigfishford
Junior User
I guess I was just dumb and lucky then! I have a sunroof, and my cheapo headsets (which are much nicer than OEM) off oF Ebay work just fine along with the "factory" pair it came with. Best of luck with the Ford set--I assume you do not have a sunroof? I guess it is much better to be lucky than smart.