Sponsored by:

05 excursion dvd system question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 PM
blown105
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 excursion dvd system question...

I have installed a pioneer nav unit avic n1 unit and want to pull video and audio from the stock dvd unit into the pioneer via the video input. Also know I can use the output on the pioneer to the rca inputs on the front of the dvd player for input for the rear screen, but need to know if there is a way to connect to the rear screen bypassing the rear dvd player? Also, when installing the pioneer and have everything working there is not power to the factory dvd system. Can someone tell me the wire colors that need 12+ and neg feed for that to operate?

Idea is I want to play a dvd in either unit and have the output on each screen, also to play different dvd on each screen. Audio, I want to be able to play/hear both over the speakers or the rear screen to be via the wireless headphones that is factory.

Can anyone tell me also where to pickup the speed sensor signal? My old 01 was the grey/black stripe wire in the instrument cluster. Anyone know.?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
CNY_AF32D
New User
I was just about to post a new thread with a DVD question but it's similar enough to just add it here.

We have a 2004 Excursion with the factory DVD system. The question that I have is can I add an auxillery screen and tap into the video from the main player. The reason is on long trips my wife would like to also be able to watch the DVD from the front seat.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 AM
BigSyd
New User
I drive a 2004 Explorer, and I installed a Alpine D900 in it on my own, and have the factory flipdown DVD entertainment package. I am running into the same problem that you are. I am having the hardest time getting an answer for this without having someone charge me an arm and a leg for them to look at it. All I know is the harness for the factory DVD player that I found in the dash for my Explorer is pretty much the same in the Expedition, and is most likely pretty similar in your Excursion.

I got power back to the factory unit by hooking up the light green/black wire in pin number 6 to a 12 volt. I just basically tapped it into the same red power that goes into my Alpine. I get power to the factory flipdown for about 10 seconds, then it cuts out. I did a little more research on the the rest of the wiring harness and found pins 1 & 2 are the left +/- audiio, and pins 3 & 4 are the right +/- audio. Ground should be in pin 3. The main problem is Ford uses an Audio Corporate Protocol A/B which I have been told emits a pulse to control the video, and I cannot seem to figure it out, and neither can any of the 6 Ford dealerships near me, or the companies they use that installs their aftermarket units.

I have been told that I need to use a data bus adapter to control this pulse but I haven't gone any further then this. So whatever help you get, I need too. If someone can maybe use what I have found and go with it.

Here is the pinout for the Expedition. Pins are pretty similar for the Explorer just different colors:

http://www.installz.com/index.php?showtopic=133

THANKS!!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome blown105, and BigSyd to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Take a moment to read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
BigSyd
New User
I emailed tech support at Metra, and he was extremely helpful at looking into Audio Corporate Protocol "ACP" issue that I am having, and said that he will get back to me.

I will keep you updated!!