6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Banks 6 pack tuner/power pda

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 PM
PStrokin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks 6 pack tuner/power pda

Just picked up my new o6 F250. Very pleased so far but only had it a couple of days, 200 miles. I had two different 7.3 and liked both very much but this is a different animal altogether. Sure hate seeing all the issues some of you guys have had with the 6.0 hope the bugs are out of them by now.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you have tried the Banks kit mentioned and if so how did it do? Thinking about buying one and hooking it up if it is all they say it is. Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:06 PM
b_dub
Senior User
banks is a good/safe product. I have the 6-gun w/ speedloader for my 05.
However it is a pain to remove for warranty work. Which I have to do everytime I bring it in, because I don't want any warranty issues.

For a brand new truck I would go w/ a programmer, not an inline device like the banks. A programmer is easy to install/unistall when needed. I have purchased a SCMT 1704A, for that reason.

6-gun w/ speedloader has great power, transmission has to learn each power setting.
SMCT 1704a, great power, higher reving, transmission reprogramed w/ each program.

Would give performance #'s for both, but they are both in the shop. SCMT took the trip to florida because of the new ford flash. And banks kit is back to banks for a rusted off pin.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
I went to pickup my underhood blanket today from a FORD dealership and had the rare opportunity to over-hear the fairly heated argument between the Service Manager, Customer and some other "Suit" that worked at the dealership.

Evidentally the guy had a problem with his PSD and had his wife drop it off for him last Friday. I never heard what the problem was, but the Service Manager had the owner's SixGun in his hands. He actually had removed the unit and performed the warranty work. He told the guy that he was lucky this time and that he would not warranty the truck again if he saw it installed again. I couldn't believe they actually had the stones to remove it, but the guy did get his work done. I don't use this particular FORD dealership as they are not Programer friendly as you can see. I asked the owner about it when he came up to the payment window what had happened. It was an '05 PSD that had some surge issues so he brought it in and of course they blamed the Banks Unit even though they replaced several small items.

I almost bought a Banks unit, but decided to go with a simple programmer(SuperChips FlashPaq1805) just because I used to fly with the previous owner and new their track record. I also looked into buying the Edge A2 Unit, but didn't want to have to the removal issues when I brought in the truck.

I thought hard about having the "On the Fly" abilities, but decided I didn't need it. The FlashPaq takes 2-3 minutes to program and isn't a big deal to do. You can find a complete discussion on the Banks unit if you type "Banks Six Gun" into the search area.