1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ford/Cummins conversion, Clutch/tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
mustachio
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford/Cummins conversion, Clutch/tranny trouble

A problem I have, Clutch /Tranny problem that is, I have a 1989 F-350 4X4 crewcab, powering this unit is a 1990 5.9 cummins with custom intercooler, 4" exhuast, tweaked V.E. pump, larger injectors, 16cm turbo exhuast housing and a few other tricks mated to this cummins is a ford 5sp ZF-S542 tranny, my problem is this, 1st clutch went at 219.000 miles, replaced this clutch with a rebuilt unit, this clutch went up in smoke after 1 mile running empty. upgraded to a 12" pressure plate with a 12" ceramic button disc, upgraded tranny to a heavy duty ford 5sp ZF-S547, My problem gets worse from here on in, The motor stalls out when I release the clutch (In any gear) including neutral, My best guess is a siezed input shaft bearing or very poor alignement causing the input shaft to bind, ( This tranny just cost $2400.00 dollars) my problem gets worse, Tearing tranny and clutch out again, (3rd time I'm getting good at it now) The tranny will not I say will not seperate from the flywheel, my guess again is the input shaft is seized in pilot bearing ( new pilot brg & input shaft) maybe stuck in new disc no way to get it out to inspect, Any PRO's out there wanna give it there best guess, Since new tranny installation zero miles on unit

Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unbolt the cltch housing and see if the tranny will slide out then. maybe the trans is stuck in 2 gears at once but that is generally not possible on automotive trannies. maybe the input shaft is bent but i would think the truck would still drive and not stall.
maybe somebody else has some good ideas too. i have done alot of trannies on semi's but never had any problems like that.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 822 Likes on 626 Posts
Can you look down the hole where the shift lever goes and see that all the linkages are in the neutral position? Stalling in neutral makes me think stuck in two gears at once as well.
Try re-attaching the clutch slave cylinder not that you have the transmission unbolted. It might release the clutch enough to get it out of the pilot bearing or spline. I can't think of any reason why the clutch would be holding onto the pilot so strongly.
Are you sure you removed ALL the bolts from the bell housing?

Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
mustachio
New User
All tranny bolts are out! I have tried using the clutch as a tool to assist in seperating the tranny from engine, Makes me think the input is jammed onto clutch disc when clutch is depressed tranny starts to seperate, when clutch is released tranny sucks back to engine, I will try to unbolt the pressure plate from flywheel and see if clutch disc & pressure plate come of as a unit with tranny, I may have to modify a few of my cheap walmart wrenches for this there's very limited room in the bellhousing, This may explain the tranny/motor seperation issue, But the motor stalling out in neutral when clutch is released is mind bogling, Have I stated every thing is new or freshly rebuilt, I have looked down from the top of tranny! All the shift linkages line up as if it is in neutral, I even jacked up rear axle spunn the tranny in neutral back half of tranny rotates freely, If tranny was stuck in two gears I believe this would not be possible correct me if I'm wrong, This to me indicates a input shaft problem, Well back into the shop I go, I'm just a country smuck so keep you Reply's coming all help is appreciated

Old 02-11-2006, 11:48 AM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
As you were thinking I would try unbolting the pressure plate from the flywheel if possible. lol like you said, mod some of the most expensive WalMart tools. The disc may be siezed up on the input shaft but I dont know why it would stall the motor when trans is out of gear. I dont think a siezed pilot bearing would stall a powerstroke, but it might a cummins LOL good luck

Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

you are correct that it doesn't sound like it is stuck in 2 gears cause you wouldn't be able to spin the drive shaft. there must be an internal issue with the tranmission like are suspecting that the input or intermediate shaft is seized or something is jammed in the teeth of the gear.

is this a rebuilt/new trans or used from a salvage yard?

Old 02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Mustachio I'm a country boy too, just some how ended up stuck in the middle of the city.
It sounds like you are on the right track unbolting the pressure plate. I'm trying to think of a way to gain access to the bolts and the only idea that I have is to remove the clutch slave and try and get around the clutch operating arm with an extension and a swivel socket.
Brand new tranny rebuild, eh? Sounds like something went wrong inside.
Please let us know how it goes.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Also Mustachio if you let us know where you live, perhaps someone local to you could pop over and give a hand.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:49 PM
stockernavstar
Senior User
Before you went back together the third time, did you make sure evey thing inside the tranny was in Nuetral before sticking the shifter in. when i go together with a tranny i want it to be in gear so i can manipulate the out put shaft of the tranny when sliding it together, then when everything is assembled i have to use a screwdriver to pop the tranny into neutral before i put the shifter back in its place on top of the tranny.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:41 PM
mustachio
New User
Thanks for everyones support on this some very good ideas, BUT I've tried them all, I was called to work today so truck sat in garage all day by itself BOO HOO, But I did get a chance to take a closer look at getting the pressure plate unbolted from the flywheel, I Thank ZF for installing two rectange shaped holes in the top of bell housing right in line with the pressure plate bolts this will by my next line of attack, I do believe there is two (2) seperate problems here now, however both might be stemming from the splined hub on the disc (maybe too long causing input shaft splines to bottom out and really loading up my input shaft bearing) causing tranny to sieze, This is another one of my guesses, I will keep all informed as I proceed with this dirty deed, Frustrated I'm starting to get If this fricken clutch took out my input shaft bearing there goes the warranty on this tranny, I do not believe the tranny is stuck in two gears all the detents are in the correct place as I look in from the top, I don't dare start ripping and tearing this thing apart or my warranty will definetly be void, I live in central Alberta, Canada, If you have the time come up from Seattle it's only a 11 hr drive LOL, buy ya all a BEER AH

Old 02-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Thanks for letting us know and please keep us posted.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:05 PM
mustachio
New User
Talking Yahoo I got it out

Unbolting the pressure plate with tranny still attached to the motor. My lord what a job not as easy as I figured it would be, 1st bolt OK, 2nd bolt not to bad, 3rd bolt its getting harder to turn over motor remember tranny won't turn, clutch starting to get hard to disengage, And so on but the Tranny is out and this is the rest of the storie,You guys aren't going to believe this, It was the clutch Disc stuck on the... wait a minute don't jump to conclusions, it wasn't stuck (It welded itself to the throw out bearing tube) obviously the hub on this new disc was to long, I think someone may think I installed the disc in backwards but when it's stamped flywheel side, pressure plate side It's easy to figure out which way the disc goes, So now I have to get a hold of the clutch shop and tell them I have to destroy the new Disc to get it off the through out bearing tube, This new disc is already NFG because of the pressure created in the center of the disc from the bearing tube pushing it towards the flywheel, It was only running on the inside 3/4" of surface material and wasn't even fully disengaged so there is a major wear pattern on the disc, Hopefully they will come clean with a new Disc. Thanks for all the input. Terry

Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

well atleast it out and can see what they will do for you. and atleast you have concrete proof of the problems and not god it apart and still can't see a problem!! keep us posted on what the outcome is.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Wow, yeah, that's a new one for me too. LOL. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
mustachio
New User
Thumbs up Clutch is ready to go back in

It sure is worth the extra dollars a person spends at a reputable company, The clutch shop that made up my clutch never once questioned the situation I was having, I brought in the old clutch pressure plate, the destroyed disk with throw out bearing tube still welded to it, throw out bearing & flywheel, The clutch shop will make up another clutch pressure plate, clutch disk, they will also machine the flywheel & replace the throw out bearing & tube at no additional charge, A complete warranty excluding my labour, I can live with that, Thanks guys for all your input & support

Quick Reply: Ford/Cummins conversion, Clutch/tranny trouble