Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end suspension and steering rebuild project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:10 PM
dale gribble
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end suspension and steering rebuild project.

So, it's time to rebuild the front suspension and steering components on my 95 F-150. I thought some of you might benefit from a write up and pictures. If nothing else, I am going to give part numbers that you can save a few minutes without having to research yourself. Pretty much anytime you see a new post from me, there will be an update along with it.

Based on MY experience, I am very happy with Moog R2 (aka Enhanced) suspension parts and have chosen to use Moog parts throughout. I rebuilt a solid axle Dana 44 with these and couldn't believe how beefy the parts were. So, I will be going over the following. If you want any more help or specifics along the way let me know.

Removing 4x4 hubs
Removing front hub bearings
Removing front hub assemblies
Removing spindles
Removing LH/RH axles
Inspecting axle shaft U-Joints- replace as necessary
Removing Tie Rod Ends
Removing Pitman arm **
Replacing Ball Joints
Replacing all steering linkage (except adjustment couplers)
Replacing Pitman arm **
Installing Skyjacker Class II 4" I-Beam drop brackets **
Replacing I-Beam bushings
Installing Skyjacker Class I 4" radius arm drop brackets **
Installing new front springs/daystars **
Replacing Radius arm bushings
Front brakes (rotors turned and pads)
Packing bearings
Installing front steering stabilizer **

** These are optional items associated with putting an aftermarket 4" lift on and can be avoided in stock applications.

and then putting it ALL back together again... Let's keep a frank discussion and stay on topic. We can work through and find the best methods and avoid possible pitfalls along the way. I am hoping by the end we have a comprehensive guide for others to use in years to come.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:20 PM
dale gribble
Senior User
Part Numbers

Main Drag Link- MOOG DS1138T
Shorter Connecting Link- MOOG DS1017T
RH Tie Rod End- MOOG ES2077RT
LH Tie Rod End- MOOG ES2078LT
Lower Ball Joints- MOOG K8195T (2)
Upper Ball Joints- MOOG K80026 (2)
Axle Pivot Bushings (Revised HD set)- MOOG K8620
Radius Arm Bushings (Thermoplastic)- MOOG K80007*

*I recently replaced my radius arm bushings from the stock rubber units to polyurethane. I was very unhappy with the results. For 1, I actually picked up an irritating squeak when steering and 2, the poly doesn't hold up any better on the RH side due to the proximity of the exhaust. I was surprised to see the poly bushings actually showed breakdown from heat...

I am going to the 'Thermoplastic' set from Moog and will report on that as I go.

I really like these ball joints, not only due to their size, but also because they are greasable! Moog even put the zerks where you can reach them, which is a huge + in my book. I prefer greasable zerks to sealed parts.

I purchased the items through a great online company with the very best prices, and they are even a sponsor of ford-trucks.com!!!! So, click the link from the ford-truck forum so the site can get a few well earned cents for your trouble!

one website, all you need to know-

www.rockauto.com

You can get these parts anywhere from 30-40% off of Kragen and other stores. Great interface, I have used them for years, and I can't say enough about them.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:48 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Don't forget spindle bearings and seals and maybe front driveshaft ujoints (transfer case to pumpkin)...

Old 02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
dale gribble
Senior User
Good point. Bearings and seals will be on an as needed basis. I suspect for me at 91k miles that I will be ok, but there will be a point where the higher mileage guys should really inspect those.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
It all depends on how much the hubs have been in, dust, seal deterioration, etc but good point...