Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 06:00 PM
bduece
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once tried to drill a hole through a 3/16 thick piece of plexyglass. It was 5"x 8". I set it on the edge of the table so that when the drill went through it would't drill into the table. When the drill bit started to go through it seized and spun the small piece of plexiglass. It hit my right *********. It was the worst pain I had ever felt there. I was nausious for about a half hour.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You are lucky your voice didn't get changed forever...

Old 05-08-2003, 06:32 PM
PiPpY
Freshman User

bduece, I am glad you are ok, but that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

I must confess to something similar.

I was sitting on my rear with my legs under my truck. The ratchet was situated so that I was pulling it towards me.
The socket slipped off the nut and I hit myself in the junk.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:08 PM
deanjet
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Never back your truck into your garage with the drivers side door open. If you do drive your truck into the garage with the drivers side door open, don't give it more gas when you need to get it in that last foot...

Old 05-08-2003, 10:28 PM
ZRX61
Senior User

Originally posted by bduece
It hit my right *********.

Good grief, how many left ones do you have?

Old 05-09-2003, 08:57 AM
eric in tn
New User
Unhappy Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Don't wear one of those fishnet style t-shirts and use a hand held grinder.

Don't leave an open container of grease on the bench while you're filing or grinding, 'cause it seems metal is attracted to grease like moths to lights.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:41 PM
ZRX61
Senior User

This happened to a friend, but I was there when it all went down....

Do NOT use a 9in grinder on steel when there is a truck battery hooked to a charger 15ft away....

BOOOOOOM!!

I was in the other workshop under the hood of a LandRover, heard the bang & then heard things hitting the top of the LandRover. It was parts of the battery case & lead plates.

I walk around the wall to find the battery is now U shaped with nothing in the middle at all & just the 2 posts sticking up with 3 or 4 plates attached to them.

At this point the (Welsh) owner of the battery walked up, looked at the damage & said "So, will it still hold a charge then boyo?"
Reply: "Doubtful, it won't even hold water you thick git".... LOL!!!

Old 05-09-2003, 08:25 PM
deanjet
Senior User

This reminds me of the time I helped a less than mechanicaly inclined friend jump start his Pinto. He drove a big dump truck for a living and asked me to get in his truck (because it had a TWO REAL BIG BATTERIES), and drive his Pinto back after he got it started. Upon getting there, he drug out some jumper cables, and hooked them up. The Pinto battery must have had a dead short inside, nothing happened. My friend said he never saw a car his truck could not start. Then he said, "mabye if I swap the leads." I told him he had it hooked up right. But this guy was not listening to me. As I tried talking him out of it I walked backwards, out of range, I know something real bad was going to happen. It did, BOOM!!! I looked at the pinto's ex-battery, it was now an empty plastic box, 4 sides and a bottom. Everything under the hood of the Pinto was smoldering with battery acid. Then I looked at my friend as he pulled his hands away from his face. Lets just say it was not a pretty sight and medical attention was needed. Lucky for him, the house the Pinto died infront of had a water hose out front, and my friend had enough sense to close his eyes before doing the unthinkable.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Monster 78 F-150 4X4
Elder User

Never learn to weld wearing a shirt with a pocket on it I experenced this about 3 years ago when I was 14. I was learning on an old Lincoln Stick Welder. I ended up running outside and rolled in the snow without a shirt on for abbout 5 minutes trying to cool down (it was the middle of February)

Be very careful using a 1/2" Milwallkee Magum Hole Shooter Drill they will lock up and the wrong end of the drill will start spinning Always use the side handle and be prepared to let go of it because they can and will break your arm or wrist

Also rember safty glass has a greenish tint (more than regular glass) and you cant cut it. This happened to at work (I work at a small hardware store) a customer brought in a piece of glass that he found in his garage and wanted me to cut it down. I ran the glass cutter over it about 10 times then I said to the guy if a cant cut it ill break it trying to shure enough the next time over it it exploded and sent a billion little pieces of glass every where (the piece was about 3 foot by 5 foot) And he thought that was the funniest thing he had ever saw.

Also the best way to keep from borrowing your tools with out asking is go borrow their truck, lawnmower, dog, cat etc with out asking them they'll think twice about borrowing your stuff (IT REALY WORKS)

One last thing when removing a starter hold it when you take out the last bolt I learned this the hard way It fell off the tranny of our farm truck and nailed me right in the head (ouch)

Old 05-10-2003, 06:57 AM
mptai
Freshman User

Reguardless of what your drunk huntin buddies tell you, don't try to repair your broken exhaust with duck tape. it will start a fire, and then you gotta put it out, and fix it again. By then you will probably be too drunk.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass

just kind of breezed thru this forum a little so dont really know if anyone mentioned this for folks who dont know,,,,,,,when you are putting an oxygen or acetylene gauge on the bottles,DO NOT,I REPEAT,DO NOT PUT "ANY" KIND OF GREASE ON THE THREADS TO LUBRICATE,if the threads are a little messed up,just wire brush em,,,,,,grease WILL ignite oxygen alone acytelene is very flammable & has a high heat ratio as its burning & when the grease & oxygen mixture hits the fuel,it fires back into the regulator,you dont have a chance to"learn the hard way" on this,there has been instances where people has done it & did not live to tell the tale,it will explode,the regulator will become a grenade

Old 05-12-2003, 07:34 PM
eehoepp
Elder User

Make sure the guy on the throttle of the power auger you're using to bore 12" holes into red clay isn't the type who tenses up when something goes wrong.

My Dad & I were boring holes to build a gazebo & we went too deep before pulling the bit up to clean off the chunks. The auger seized in the ground & my Dad nailed the throttle. I let go. Dad didn't. He went about three quarters of the way 'round before the auger threw him. He honestly flew about 10 feet and landed with the same crunch you hear on the Saturday cartoons.

I took the throttle end after that & Dad really wasn't much help for the next couple of days.

I second the motion for being careful when using a powerful drill. We had a big Makita drill with a 2-speed gearbox on it (until someone swiped it). After getting my arms twisted a couple of times I refused to use it to drill any holes bigger than 1/2". One former co-worker was heavy into body building and felt he was Mr. Invincible. He ended up bending a 3/4" drill bit when it caught. Of course this was a late-night rush & we couldn't get another bit. The boss dinged it relatively straight on an anvil & danged if Bamm-Bamm didn't bend it again.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 05-16-2003, 12:03 AM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru

I was in my shop class at school, and I was grinding on a trailer that we were building, and a spark went over and hit a buddies coveralls, and started a small fire. We all stopped and looked at him, and he looked at the fire too, it was no bigger than one on the head of a match. Then he went to slap his thigh to put it out, and his coveralls blew up. He had had a disposable lighter in his pocket, and when he sat down, a quarter had pushed the gas button on it, and his coveralls had filled with butane. He was alright, but it blew the seams out of his coveralls. Funny as hell.
Another time in the same class, some moron put some Oxygen and Acetylene in a powerade bottle, and lit it in one of the welding stalls. All we found of the bottle was a piece of the top. This same guy was using a air nailer putting on some trim pieces for a table he had made. He didn’t heed our warnings when we told him to stop holding the trigger and tapping the gun to the wood. Apparently, two nails shot out at the same time, and the second shot out the side of the board where he was holding it, and went through his middle and ring fingers. It was only a small finishing nail, but he screamed and hollered like it was a 16 penny!!

Old 05-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

muchtomydelight

haha surprised your school ain't blown up yet

ya'll seem dangerous

oo yea never let your wife nag you when your working...messes you all up

Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 AM
F-150 Sport
New User

This is a great thread. I have done some of the things already listed, since I grew up on a ranch it's kinda expected.

The funniest thing I ever heard was from a machine shop my buddy worked at. It seems that a coworker and the owner of the engin on the dyno (which was in a seperat room) were really putting it through the paces. Boom bang, my friend goes in to the control room to find everyone under the counter. "what's going on" banging noise still in the background. The engin owner responds "have you ever see a harmonic balancer come off at 7200 rpm?" "no!", coworker,"neither have we". I showed up about 5 min. after. You would not believe the carnage that was done to that room. Good thing it was all cinder block walls.

Here's a couple new ones.

When working on a stering column of an airbag equiped car, don't set of the airbag. It will take your breath away, especialy if you are in the drivers seat looking over the steering wheel. The bag infates in a 10th of a second and deflates in a second. It'll make you pee your pants then look around and wonder why.

Always unhook the battery before sliding the insterment cluster back into a metal dash. If it sparks and you screem like a girl, you friends will never let you forget.

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........