Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Western slope folks check in here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:04 AM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypoid
Hey Rick, is the steel plant still operational? Just last week I was telling one of my co-workers about taking a tour there...30 years ago! LOL

Welcome aboard hush! My youngest goes to Central in GJ.
Yup. Oregon Steel owned it for quite a while. They no longer use the coal furnaces though, all electric. I remember back in the late 70's when they fired off the electric furnace it put enough of a load on the electric service lights would dim all over they city!

They suffered through a very long union dispute, but survived. In fact, a Russian steel company just bought the mill! I guess now we will all have to learn to speak Russian along with Spanish, Yugoslvian, Chzech, Greek, Egyptian (a business friend here owns a fantastic little restaurant called Yero City), and who knows what else! It appears the Russian company has plans to expand steel production too. We might even get a new plant here that manufactures solar cell type systems! That is up in the air right now, depends a lot upon the companies demands upon the city for land, etc.

Pueblo is really a very culturally diverse town for its size! Need to come down some friday June evening for the 'B' Street Bash , or the Chili Festival later in the summer!