Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Quality Oil Filter...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:55 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a great study on Frams.......
I started buying them in 1963 and still going strong.
After about a MILLION miles, no problems on all those machines I valued.
Mine was a long-term study, unlike the aforementioned.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Never did a scientific study but Motocraft FL1A filters are the only filters I have used on my Fords 5.0 (302) and 4.0. Best in the west.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:55 AM
debeer
Junior User
Motorcraft are very good., as are Wix and Napa Gold (same). I prefer Baldwin

Some good pricing and service

http://www.adiesel.com/baldwincatalog/automotive.html

http://www.filter1.com/

Old 02-04-2006, 11:12 AM
4dson
New User
Hope this will Be of SOME help..

Motorcraft

This was a Purolator hybrid. It had the Premium Plus case (anti-drainback valve, gasket, etc), but with a Pure One filter element. This is a cheap way to get a Purolator Pure One. It is sold at many locations including AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.
Purolator Pure One

This is an interesting filter design made by Purolator. Most of the construction of the Pure One is the same as the Purolator Premium Plus. The big difference is the filter element itself. It has a dense paper/fiber filter element that can filter very small particles. The result of this is cleaner oil exiting the element, but more oil restriction. Purolator addressed this by adding more filter material (more and deeper pleats). After seeing one of these filters cut open, I am apprehensive about this filter. It seems to have so many pleats that it is almost a solid chunk of filter element. It seems like it would end up restricting the flow, more than anything. Purolator has plenty of data on the filtration abilities of this filter and I don't doubt it, but they have no flow data. Even so, I don't see any major problems with this filter. It also sports a silicone anti-drainback valve and a PTFE treated nitrile rubber gasket.
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...ml#recommended

Old 02-04-2006, 02:29 PM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motorcraft

Old 02-04-2006, 04:16 PM
yield2s
Elder User
Originally Posted by srercrcr
I did a great study on Frams.......
I started buying them in 1963 and still going strong.
After about a MILLION miles, no problems on all those machines I valued.
Mine was a long-term study, unlike the aforementioned.
So during this "study" do you think the makers of Fram ever change hands or suppliers? They DID and they DO use CARDBOARD for end plates and the valve seat when most others use metal.
If you would just cut one open and see the proof, you may see how they're now riding on their name and some brand exclusive contracts with major discount parts stores and not quality.
Motorcraft are the best bargain in filters. The filtering element is the same as brands costing over $10.00. The valve is rubber and seats up to a metal plate.

Every brand filter sold in the US is tested Federally, so even the worst one is unlikely to cause "problems".

Last edited by yield2s; 02-04-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:11 AM
budman-mo
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This oil filter debate has been done several times here.
FYI... Wix makes Napa but not the same, Napa is a lesser filter, sorry.
Search around here and you will see.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
debeer
Junior User
Wix and Napa Gold are identical. I have written Wix and had it confirmed. Napa carries three lines of filters with the Gold the top and "Wix" branded equivalent.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
you can contac wix and request a spec sheet. wix makes 3 qualities of filters all of which napa carry. they sell them as pro-select , nascar and napa gold. Sarah at wix and John in the development department have confirmed the filters are identical. they simply run batches of them at a time and repaint and logo the out side. he said all the filters start off as "blanks". they are made then placed into bins , they next get placed on the finishing line where they get painted, logos put on and gasketed. wix makes filters under 53 names.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:40 AM
debeer
Junior User
Reply from Wix (posted on anothet board by me) Email for yourself. I went directly to the source.

The NAPA ProSelect line is what we call a value or price line. It is designed to meet minimum performance standards and be a low cost product. It contains a minimum amount of plain cellulose media that offers average efficiencies and capacities. This product is designed for the price conscious consumer.

Our Gold line, on the other hand, is a premium product designed with maximum performance in mind. It contains an ideal amount of premium, blended, high performance media with great capacities and efficiencies. The Gold line is truly a high-end filtration product. There is a huge difference between the way these filters perform.

The WIX brand and the NAPA Gold are both premium filters of identical design and performance

Thank you for your inquiry.

Chris Greeson
Senior Technical Service Manager

For more information

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...?ubb=forum&f=6

Old 02-05-2006, 12:44 AM
budman-mo
Tuned
If they make 3 qualities of Napa filters this proves that just because they are made by Wix that they aren't all the same.
In what order of quality do the Napa filters go from top to bottom?

Old 02-05-2006, 12:46 AM
budman-mo
Tuned
Now I see debeer's post.....

Old 02-05-2006, 12:47 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
yep i have seen that. wix is one of the last honest companies left. they will tell you just how it is no BS . i have used both the proselect and the gold. my UOA's always come back with great filtration so i have just gone with the proselect or the supertech filters.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 AM
budman-mo
Tuned
Thanks for the link to the oil site.

Looks like an interesting place.

Nice to see a place where people can nicely discuss Amsoil without blowing a fuse
(unlike here).

Old 02-05-2006, 12:21 PM
redvipss
Freshman User
I am very happy with the K&N Filters. I have 175,000 on my 96 4.0 , and thats all that has ever been on it since I bought the truck new. Doesn't burn a lick of oil either. ( I run Valvoline Full Synthetic in it.)
Just my opinion.
Just like srercrcr said.... blondes , brunettes , redheads , whatever your preferences are.

Quick Reply: Quality Oil Filter...