Sponsored by: DP Tuner

$2,700 fuel leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM
probablecause
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$2,700 fuel leak question

1999 SuperDuty Turbo Diesel with 160,000 miles.
Ok, saw what I thought was oil leaking from down under and took it in to the local Ford dealer for the bad news. I was told that it was a fuel leak which is caused by the following:

A bad High Pressure Pump – Cost of Pump ($798.40) not including labor
Have to replace the Filter case (told that you can’t do one without the other ($367.13 without labor)

Also, when they ran a diagnostic on it they said that the error codes were showing that my IPR solenoid and ICP sensor were bad. Told that they have to replace the downpipe also. Total cost for everything including labor: 2613.63.

Now, my question is not the pricing but the diagnosis. Can the sensors be getting a false reading because I have an aftermarket chip and tuner? Also, has anyone experienced the high pressure pump going out?

Old 02-01-2006, 02:45 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Find another shop! Yes your chip can cause the ICP codes. I have no idea how an hpop can have anything to do with a fuel leak. What's wrong with the down pipe? Is the fuel filter housing cracked?

Old 02-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Don't EVER go back to that dealer. My guess is you have a simple oring leak on the back of the filter housing. There is a little yellow lever there to drain water from the fuel. The orings are frequently responsible for a fuel leak. Less than $50 to fix this particular issue.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:49 PM
probablecause
Junior User
This is just what the shop manager told me. There is nothing wrong with the Downpipe but they said that it can sensors that connect to it get rusted and you have to replace the down pipe also. I was not told that there was anything wrong with the filter case only that it HAD to be replaced whenever you do the High Pressure Pump. They said the fuel leak is coming from the "valley" because of the HPP. Don't know. Just don't want to get raped.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Mech2161 is right. What you are being told simply does not make sense. Have them put everything in writing and go get a second opinion.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

If the orings leak on the little yellow water drain lever, the fuel goes right down into the valley. Two reasons this dealer is a total moron:

1- The high pressure oil pump is just that, AN OIL PUMP. There is no fuel going into, or out of, the pump or lines.

2- The down pipe shouldn't have a single sensor in it. Unless you put a pyro probe in yourself.

Seriously, remove the plastic fuel filter cover that says Powerstroke on it. Two 13mm bolts IF I remember correctly. Stand on something tall and / or climb into the engine compartment and reach down and feel around that yellow lever behind the filter housing. If it has fuel on it, and you can turn on the key to pressurize it for about 20 seconds before the pump shuts off, you will feel it on your fingers. It should be bone dry.

It could also be a fuel line, but less likely unless you have been jumping railroad crossings.... I know, I have done both.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Don't let them kiss you, find another shop.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by mech2161
Don't let them kiss you, find another shop.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Also, at this point verify that it is fuel and not oil. IF it is oil, then a hose from the HPOP could be the culprit. Either way the pump and filter housing can be re-used. The HPOP pressure can also be measured with a guage setup on one of the plugs in the head, or by using the AutoEnginuity scan tool or equivalent.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
Also, at this point verify that it is fuel and not oil. IF it is oil, then a hose from the HPOP could be the culprit. Either way the pump and filter housing can be re-used. The HPOP pressure can also be measured with a guage setup on one of the plugs in the head, or by using the AutoEnginuity scan tool or equivalent.
Sound GQ...sounds like a Stealership is trying to do it again!
Nut

Old 02-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paul407
This is just what the shop manager told me. There is nothing wrong with the Downpipe but they said that it can sensors that connect to it get rusted and you have to replace the down pipe also. I was not told that there was anything wrong with the filter case only that it HAD to be replaced whenever you do the High Pressure Pump. They said the fuel leak is coming from the "valley" because of the HPP. Don't know. Just don't want to get raped.

did you ask them what sensors connect to the downpipe and ask them to show you

Old 02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
probablecause
Junior User
I just pulled the truck from the dealer when the service manager told me that he did not know the truck had a tuner & chip and that he did not know that both (or one) would cause the sensors to show errors. Those big BANKS decals, the adjustable ****, the pillar gauges, and the exhaust must not have been an indicator that I might have something.

I got it home and found the leak coming from a little brass tube that runs along the front part of the engine on the passenger side. It is about 1/4 inch tube and it is obvious that the leak is coming from there. What it means, I don't know.

Last edited by paul407; 02-01-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got it home and found the leak coming from a little brass tube that runs along the front part of the engine on the passenger side. It is about 1/4 inch tube and it is obvious that the leak is coming from there. What it means, I don't know.
That means that the o-rings on the drain valve for you fuel filter are leaking.....about $6 worth of parts. Very minor maintenance indeed.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul, I'm a novice at this but that sounds like the tube that is connected to your water drain valve. When you open the lever under the fuel filter housing the fuel and/or water will drain out of that tube to the ground after it splashes all over the truck first.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru

Quick Reply: $2,700 fuel leak question