Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange noise and low fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:39 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise and low fuel economy

Was driving the other day Towing a trailer with 50 mph winds and got a strange noise in the mid range kind of like a low howl and quite loud and the check engine light came on for around 30 miles including 3 offs of ignition switch. Checked code when got home (cel off) and nothing in the codes. Also noticed only about 12 MPG. What sort of noise does the engine make when wastgate is stuck open?
Maybe it's time for a wicked wheel? I am running a Kwick AF mod and ccv aswell as a stage 2 tuner.
Also this is an early 99 so do they make a ww for it?
Thanks for the help LPR

Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something doesn't sound right. If the SES light came on, there are codes stored. Unless your batteries were completely drained or unkooked, the codes will be there. What were you using to pull the codes? And what did you mean by "cel off" in your post?

You won't hear the wastegate stuck open. The other noises the truck makes will not allow you to hear a stuck wastegate open. With a wastegate open though, your boost levels will be way down and you'll be able to feel the difference (lack of) power in the truck.

They don't make a WW for the early 99. The WW is essentially the same wheel that the early 99's have in them. So, you've basically got a WW already.

I'm not sure what would be causing your problem. Need to find out what the codes are first.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:06 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
CEL check engine light. The noise was like when you run gear drive cam in a chevy or also like an automatic trans that has bad clutchs and is slipping. But I have the 6 speed. Good to here I don't need the WW. one less thing to buy.The only code that was in there was the one that is always there because the programing is not stock don't have it with me right now. I was using the programer to retreave the codes a Hypertech. The batteries are fine and were not un hooked. Just 3 restarts from stops made. Could have been from over boost for the CEL cause I had it pretty well into full throtal and that big head wind on a very steep grade. EGT's were around 700 post turbo so OK.
Thanks for the help. LPR

Old 01-28-2006, 04:36 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Ron,

I wonder if you got the coolant just a tad warmer than normal and the fan clutch kicked in. It sounds a lot like what you've described, and you were towing into a headwind, uphill, and you were burning up a lot of fuel. That would cause more heating and the noise you heard.

Scared the heck out of me the first time I heard it, uphill, out on the desert, last May. Crested the top of the grade, the noise went away shortly thereafter.

It's s'posed to do that!

A thought....

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 01-28-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Have you disabled your wastegate? With that tuner, pulling a load, and high winds it's easy to overboost and turn on the light.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:30 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
No the wastegate is stock. Thinking back to when I was running a chip and it would overboost the light would come on then go off. But with the big hill and high wind maybe it was over boosting for a while. Best speed I could get was 50 and I usually can pull it around 70 with same load and not full throtal.

Pop you know the grade up out of Devore and it does get a touch windy there. Don't think it was the fan though. The temps were as normal kind of a cold wind 40' out.
Thanks for the help I'll take a look at the code in am I wrote it down out in thwe truck log. But seems to me it is just the one that shows up when you change programing from stock.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
hi ron,,,the headwind and the uphill with a load may be the fuel consumption . the noise may be from a boot from the boost side of the air induction. Make sure all the clamps are good and the boots are clean so they dont slip off or leak. The noise almost sounds like a lil kid giving the raspberries ?? OR as pop stated, could be the fan clutch. However, I did notice that since I used kwik's air filter, I can hear the turbo at a certain range and it sounds like a low howl and that wasnt there before. Kewl huh?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Yea kind of what I was thinking haven't towed anything but my jeep with the new filter checked all the clamps when first heard it they are tight. Cleaned all the oil from the boots before the install so every thing is sano. Thanks for help . Dang I got to get that code out of the truck maybe in am. LPR