Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Throttle Response Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM
corpuspits
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me to fuse blew ..bad spot to be broke down ..$300 tow ...weird thing is it hasnt blown it again and hate to go out of town in it.226,000mls on her

Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
20 min & some electrical tape to fix :-roll

Solved!

Found the short. When my dog was a puppy - he chewed the shifter handle while I was out of the truck looking for a trailer. (I was proud of him for resisting the paper bag of french fries sitting on the dash....) - fast forward to a few years later, and the shift handle finally came apart at the seams. It worked, it's just ugly - but allowed enough movement to chaff the small wires inside the shift handle. A dab of liquid electrical tape on the wire itself, and about 3 ft of electrical tape wrapped around the handle have it working until a $65 replacement handle arrives in the mail.

Edit: This also fixed my unusual problems with throttle response under hard cornering and hard acceleration.

Super easy fix now that I know where to look.

If your dog didn't chew the handle like mine - open it up and check the wires in the column where you'll most likely find the short. If you get in a bind - you can just unplug the connector inside the column for the over-drive button, pop a new fuse in and drive the truck as long as you want... just without the convenience of the overdrive button.

Here is an excellent write up from Ken on another forum. This write up had me in and out with a completed repair in under 20 min.

https://docs.google.com/a/doublermfg...M2Q5YjdmODQ4NQ

Old 07-21-2015, 01:36 PM
squirtbranson
New User
My 7.3 has no lights on when my peel goes dead and when it is working it seems like it didn't have the quick response it did before that problem started

Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Kzneft
New User
Hopefully someone can lead me to the right direction. 1999 F350 7.3. No throttle response. Would run well, then SES light comes on and no throttle, then it would go off and I can drive. Purchased a new TPS and replaced it. Checked the IVS with a ohm meter and its good and not sticking. The overdrive light comes on. I even put the old TPS back on and still no throttle. All fuses are good. Not sure what to try next.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:37 PM
jamesabner
New User
7.3 no codes...

My 7.3 Idles only...post no codes,but speedo is not working and wont start with the key. the overdrive button is flashing and the abs light is on. these problems have to be related...ugh

Old 10-31-2015, 05:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
James,

Ummmm, year, model, truck or Excursion.....

Details needed to assist.

Did you read the rest of this thread? There's lots of good info in there.

Pop

Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Kzneft
New User
Fixed my 1999 F350 SD 7.3
It was the IPS (Idle position sensor) under the throttle pedal. Instead of paying $400 plus for a whole assembly I purchased the existing micro switch that was there already from one from Ebay. About $10 for two of them. Re-soldered the connections and now works great. I originally replaced the throttle position sensor. No one carries these so I purchased one from Amazon. Its a motorcraft DY967 that is supposed to work but when I installed it on my truck it did not. Maybe it was faulty but the ohms when I checked it were not even close to the one I had on my truck that was still working. Put the old one back with the new macro switch and now runs great. I think the DY967 is for a F350 SD but with a gas engine. Still trying to find one that fits so I have a spare if my original one goes out.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kzneft
Fixed my 1999 F350 SD 7.3
It was the IPS (Idle position sensor) under the throttle pedal. Instead of paying $400 plus for a whole assembly I purchased the existing micro switch that was there already from one from Ebay. About $10 for two of them. Re-soldered the connections and now works great. I originally replaced the throttle position sensor. No one carries these so I purchased one from Amazon. Its a motorcraft DY967 that is supposed to work but when I installed it on my truck it did not. Maybe it was faulty but the ohms when I checked it were not even close to the one I had on my truck that was still working. Put the old one back with the new macro switch and now runs great. I think the DY967 is for a F350 SD but with a gas engine. Still trying to find one that fits so I have a spare if my original one goes out.
These trucks do not have a TPS. That's why you can't find one. You need to look for an Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There is a Dorman part# available (699-200 I think) at most parts stores and Rock Auto.

Also, the other switch is an IVS ( Idle Validation Switch).

Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 AM
jamesabner
New User
I need to spend some time learning the system...

I have a 1996 f250 4x4 7.3 diesel.
I really like this truck. It has had a faulty speedo since I bought it. I have replaced the sensor on the rear end and pulled the cluster,checked for burnt traces and cleaned/replaced bad bulbs and reinstalled.
Still no speed ometer. Thus eratic shifting and very hard shifting.
Somehow during these repairs, I lost my accelerator pedal.
From reading various posts here I am going to search for a used pedal assembly.
I know just enough to get me into trouble...but the pedal went out while I was repairing the dash. I am assuming I have computer or ecm troulbles.
I have a mac ET 1205AN scanner. it pulls NO codes. If the engine is running during the scanning process...the scanner causes it to miss eraticly then die.
Any ideas would be appreciated...

Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 AM
dsquared
Elder User
Probably should move to the OTHER 7.3 forum......94.5-97.......and it is probably not compatible with your Mac Scanner.....

Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 AM
jamesabner
New User
Thank you, I will check it out

Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
As mentioned, that throttle switch is usually called the Idle Validation Switch (IVS).

Dust and dirt accumulate, causing it to not work.

Sometimes just blowing it out with compressed air restores its operation for a few more years.

Pop

Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Kzneft
New User
Yes, you are correct. Idle Validation switch. Got typing to fast and had a brain cramp.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Josh Gerencser
New User
Help

Ok I have a 2001 7.3 superduty. I was driving the other day stopped at a stop light and it died and wouldn't restart I've changed all the sensors still nothing so I dug deeper looking at injectors did a buzz test everything went fine. I have had some problems with the throttle pedal to where it's start and idle but I'd have to tap it sideways to make it accelerate. That was before it died. If the throttle positioning sensor went out could that be a reason why it won't start now? I ran out of things to do and I could really use help and advice.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Kzneft
New User
The TPS could be a problem not starting. I believe yours also has a recall on them. My 1999 did but I just opted to by one from Ford and put it in my self. As far as the acceleration not working try the micro switch on the pedal assembly. Mine was working intermittently. I had to hit the pedal a few times for it to work. Got stuck in the middle of a few intersections. If that switch is not working your truck will idle but not accelerate. Instead of buying the whole assembly ($500+) I just replaced the micro switch with the same brand I found on Ebay. Need to drill out the existing holes in the macro switch to fit a 8-32 or 6-32 screw, then mount it in the pedal, Loctite the nut and reconnect the wires. Works great now.

Quick Reply: 7.3 Throttle Response Problems