Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Detest Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
towandcamp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Detest Dealers - V10 Value

Was interested in the trade value for my '05 F-250 XLT CrewCab 4x4 V10 automatic (11,500 miles), with lots of options. I had checked KBB, Edmunds, and NADA, but as yall well know they always give you different values. So I thought it would be interesting to contact some local and regional dealers. After hearing back from them, not to mention every dealers trade-in value, a.k.a wholesale value, was different for my truck, but every one was from $25,000 to 22,000. Just warning all of loyal V10 owners. Dealers will not give you what your V10 is worth. Detest Dealers.....

Anybody had good or bad 2005 V10 trade experiences yet?

Last edited by towandcamp; 01-23-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Not on an '05 Super Duty, but last year I was looking to trade in my '04 F150 Scab FX4 loaded, and had a very similar experience. The promotional pricing on the new trucks is killing the used market. They would only offer black book (wholesale auction) value... I ended up selling it myself, but it took close to 6 months!

Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by towandcamp
Dealers will not give you what your V10 is worth.
They give you what it is worth. TO THEM!

Can't blame 'em really. Most dealers are not enthusiasts so they only sell what they can "sell" (if you know what I mean). The V10 is, and will always be, labeled a gas pig. It is hard for them to mentally wrap around the virtues of a V10 when 1. They don't know chit and 2. the buying public (and the salesperson) is ignorant of the tremendous value the V10 offers.

We all realize that #1 & #2 go hand-in-hand.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:15 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A "Used" SD with a V10...IMO is the BEST deal right now. So many people believe the V10 has poor fuel mileage and now with fuel prices high...only help the deals to be had.

So on the up side...I got a SUPER GREAT deal with my 2003 SD V10 87400 miles. I'm getting 14mpg highway at 75mph. The MSRP sticker (found it in the glove box...bonus!) shows $35,000+ new. My steal last Nov. $13,400. On the down side...when I decide to trade/sell her...I will lose my shirt. Can't have it both ways I suppose.

Believe me...I am NOT on the dealer side of it. Just business is business...and timing is everything.

biz

Old 01-24-2006, 02:29 AM
nwo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up here in Canada you get half of what it is worth to sell Privately because they give you the old line about, subtracting your trade in before taxes which gives all that tax savings on the end result hence you get the savings. Go Figure.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:33 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
my buddy picked up a 2003 CC 4x4 KR dually with 91,200 for 16,700.00 and got them to give him new brakes and shocks which is at least 500 to 600.00 in work. not to bad of a deal. the thing is mint it was a freeway commuter. the tow hitch was never used. its a buyers market.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:33 AM
4wd
Elder User
In a way it is good that the used market for SD's has slipped. It will open the door to many younger hard working guys (and gals) that otherwise couldn't afford to own a Super Duty, and experience the pulling power of the V-10. They will be hooked for life, and Ford will be waiting for them when they do get the coin for new.

It sucks for us trying to trade up

Old 01-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that a used V10 SD is hard to sell unless you are willing to almost give it away but the number of 03 and 04 SD PSDs sitting on car lots shows you they are getting hard to sell as well.

If the new 6.4 establishes itself as a reliable engine and once 6.0 owners start replacing problematic variable vane turbos off warranty, I think the worm will turn , and I still think we will see the day when an 03 V10 will sell for more than an 03 6.0.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Agronomist
Senior User
Waited until gas was $3.00 a gallon and went looking for a V-10. Found ' 99 with 27,000 miles with complete history. Not trying to brag. Just went through the time of big gas lines of yester year and all the muscle cars value went to zilch. All those boss mustangs with everybody (including me) not even thinking about buying one. Learned a lesson .. Luv this truck.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:37 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stealerships

Originally Posted by towandcamp
Was interested in the trade value for my '05 F-250 XLT CrewCab 4x4 V10 automatic (11,500 miles), with lots of options. I had checked KBB, Edmunds, and NADA, but as yall well know they always give you different values. So I thought it would be interesting to contact some local and regional dealers. After hearing back from them, not to mention every dealers trade-in value, a.k.a wholesale value, was different for my truck, but every one was from $25,000 to 22,000. Just warning all of loyal V10 owners. Dealers will not give you what your V10 is worth. Detest Dealers.....

Anybody had good or bad 2005 V10 trade experiences yet?
A comment, not sticking up for dealers, but knowing a bit about them I have these words;

Rebates, price cuts, family plans, red tag sales, etc all reduce significantly the price of a new truck. A $35K truck can be had for $25K.

So is a 1 year old like model going to bring book if it's $25K ? The KBB comes out every 3 months, sometimes it's way behind. And it only prints what dealers report they've sold at.

A dealer takes in a used truck for resale, it has to run it through service, a couple hundred. It gets detailed, a couple hundred. The dealership has to borrow the money to pay for the rig, or spend it's own cash. Interest is paid or interest is lost.

It sits on the lot with $2,000 profit in it, it gets test driven, alot, everyone wants a new(er) truck, gas money. Some dork leaves the lights on, dead battery, service dept charges, replaces the battery.

And then finally someone makes on offer on it at $5K off, and wants to trade in their 78 F150 2WD w/288K on the clock. And he wants $7,500 for it cause he saw one for sale 'awhile ago' that was just like his, maybe a little nicer, but not much. And he has no down payment (usually the dealers profit), and no credit. So after 5 hours the guy drives out in his new truck, the dealership made $500, pays the salesman $105 and wholesales the guys beat up truck at break even. The service dept sees the guy while the warranty is in effect, but after that nothing.

At least now you see why they offer nothing for our pride and joy trucks.

I bot my V10 used. Asking price $18K, I got it for $15K and traded in a E150 w/275K on it that I got $3,500 for. It was worth $1,500, maybe.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 PM
towandcamp
Senior User
i agree with what most of yall have said. the problem lies in what "the public" and "dealerships" think of a V10 compared to the Diesel. What "the public"
and "dealerships" tell ya is the V10 is less desirable cause of gas prices. However diesel is .40cents higher than regular where i live, factor in higher upkeep prices, and then factor in a higher purchase price, and really it is more efficient to have a V10. I know, diesels get better MPG than V10. I realize the significance of that in todays world, heck i would LOVE for my truck to get just 1 more mile a gallon, go from 10mpg to 11mpg!!!! THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

I guess what really erks the mess out of me is to see dealerships and Ford make so much money off of people who, like was mentioned above, are hard working and dont want their money to go down the tube. Which brings me to my last point, and this is MY OPINION: If FORD or any manufactuer wants to make money, does not want to cuts jobs, and close plants, then all they have to do is lower the price of the cars/trucks they make. Then people would be more willing to purchase a new car more often which would in turn make more money because more cars are selling. Instead manufactures and dealerships have ALMOST out priced themselves to the general public. It use to be unheard of 10yrs ago for someone to finance a car for more than 3rys. Now it is unheard of for someone to FINANCE for LESS THAN 5yrs.

And to those who mentioned how much money it takes the dealership to put into a truck to sell it, the average wholesale on a V10 compared to what the dealer will put it on the lot for is a difference of $5-7000. Tell me, who is getting scammed?

Old 01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
tfalk
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

If you think that's bad, how about most dealers offering me $18K for my 05 Excursion XLT 4X4 V-10
with 8000 miles? Finally ended up trading it for $22K.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:35 PM
tgarst
Junior User
When trading in a vehicle the best way to look at it is "not how much are you going to give me for my trade,,but how much are you going to charge me to dispose of my vehicle".
That's why I never trade unless it's a total junker, it's best to sell outrite,price it so the buyer can go to the bank and get all the money, (remember it's not how much, it's how much my payment is gonna be). Then take your cash, make your best deal.
Tim

Old 01-24-2006, 07:43 PM
nwo
Senior User
A friend of mine(young fella) went to a dealership looking for a vehicle. The salesman assumed he was going to finance, so he gave him the lowest price possible. Thinking they would get there money through intrest in the long run. After dickering a bit, He agreed on the price and pulled out cash and said here you go. I guess the look was priceless.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:47 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here something to think about also ! My dealer that I go to has a lot full of diesels 05/06's.
He has 10 (06) v8's
1(06) v-10

And No used v-10 and 4 used diesels

I think there going to be alot of left over diesels this yr
Rich

Quick Reply: Detest Dealers