Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:42 AM
BigHazard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 Wiring Harness

Okay, I am rebuilding a truck and I need to know where a wire goes / what it connects to. The wire is the main power to the fuse box; it is the bottom of the three round grommets that come through the fire wall below the brake booster. It ends up 2 wires that connect to 1 round end. I believe it is on a 2002 ONLY. If your truck has a fuse box under the hood it is different. Mine is completely under the dash. I think I am missing a wire / power block but I have no idea what it looks like. Any information / pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 01-23-2006, 10:41 AM
BigHazard
Senior User
I really dont know what this is

Last edited by BigHazard; 01-23-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:41 AM
BigHazard
Senior User
One more note, There is a small block (black with two red wires one from the battery) that bolts to the inner fender well and it might connect there but if it does I missing something that connects to there.

Basicly I put power to this wire and it lit the truck up but I need to know the correct routing

How in the hell did I do that?????????? oh yeah its monday DAMN

Old 01-23-2006, 09:20 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like the fuse box under the hood is missing. The 02 is no different than the rest of the 99-03's, they were all originally built with a fuse box in the cab and under the hood.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cookie88
It sounds like the fuse box under the hood is missing. The 02 is no different than the rest of the 99-03's, they were all originally built with a fuse box in the cab and under the hood.
Soory Cookie, got an 02 here and never has had an under hood fuse box, just a big one under dash.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:41 AM
cangim
Postmaster
What is the trim level of the trucks that seem to be missing the under hood fuse box? Mine is an XLT and has both, my bro-in-law's 03 had both and it was a Lariat. Maybe trim and original intention of truck has something to do with it, i.e. commercial chassis cab?

Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 AM
BigHazard
Senior User
Well Cookie, you havent seen mine.

What I am trying to find out in the 02 (without the under the hood fuse box) Is right under the master cylinder on the fire wall there is a rectangular plug and to the left of it there is 2 or 3 round plugs. I think 3. The bottom of these round plugs the third one is two wires that come directly from the fuse box in side the truck and from the fire wall they only go 18 to 24 inches. On mine they end up being 2 white wires with a round connector on the end. I cannot locate where they go. I found a 02 at a local dealer that and he let me look at but now it’s gone

cangim
I bought 2 trucks one is a 1999 Lariat and the other is a 2002 also a lariat. There are very few obvious differences. The 1999 has both fuse boxes, the 2002 has just the one big one. A couple of other minor things were the 02 has vanity mirrors with the lights and locking seatbelts which the 99 did not have. As for the wiring there are major differences.

I wonder is there is an early / late 02. I think most of the differences are because Ford was gearing up to put the 6.0 in them. I would guess that they didn’t want to just throw everything in at once>>

Cookie, wanna see pictures go to my gallery. That is also on 02 with no fuse box. It also was a LARIAT

<O</O

Old 01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
BigHazard, I'll go look this morning when the sun comes up but with everything wrapped up in the harness, it may be hard to trace. If I can figure out which wires you are looking for, I'll try to snap some pics.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:22 AM
BigHazard
Senior User
Man,

You would be a life saver. I had been stumped for a few days on why I couldnt get her to light up and we figured this out. But with no idea how it hooks I am back to square 1. I talked with Ford and they dont have any 02's and the parts department isnt any help either. If you look in my gallery "under the hood" the first pic sort of shows where it is.

Thanks again guzzle92
Big Hazard

Old 01-24-2006, 09:20 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
There are 3 firewall grommets in a vertical row. From the lowest grommet, totally encased in flex conduit, all wires appear to go to the junction box that is fastened to the top of the wheel well. I was able to move this harness around easily and follow it to this junction. I used your gallery pic where you can just see part of this junction box.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2006, 01:19 PM
BigHazard
Senior User
Thumbs up

Man you are a life saver. I thought that it might go there but we could not get the truck to light up there so we were thinking that we forgot to take something off of the 02 that the 99 didnt have. It appears in other pictures that the wire in question is the only thing comming from that direction, so the problem maight be that I have a relay out of the 99? Well now I know where to start looking. Either way I still am moving foreward. Thank You Very Much

Last edited by BigHazard; 01-24-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
It appears as if there is a heavy battery cable that goes directly from the driver side pos terminal to this junction box. I can't see much of it due to the battery/air filter tray sits over it but I don't see any relays under there. Looks to me as if it's a direct connection.

EDIT: I have the schematic of the batteries HERE where you can see there are no relays or fusable links between the batteries and the junction block, it should be hot all of the time.

Last edited by guzzle92; 01-24-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:40 PM
BigHazard
Senior User
Yeah, I will have to go and look to see where I led myself a stray. This thing has taken me so long that I have forgot where / how some of it goes. I was having some neck problems when I started and they got worse and worse until they figured out I had a rupture disk in my neck, so it slowed me up.

Hopefully with all of your help I can get her started up this weekend.
Once again I appreciate it. Are you up by Fort Collins? (mmmm beer) Are you up in high altitudes? Has that made any difference in your SD?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigHazard
............... Are you up by Fort Collins? (mmmm beer) Are you up in high altitudes? Has that made any difference in your SD?
About 45 minutes from the brewery.... never taken the tour though. The beer here doesn't need a BORN date, it's always pretty fresh .
We're at 4500 ft and the turbo compenstates for the higher altitudes. Never had any trouble pulling the boat over the top of the divide on my way to Lake Powell!

Last edited by guzzle92; 01-24-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:57 PM
BigHazard
Senior User
Smile

Awesome, I took a load of beer out of there about 10 years ago. Very cool. Yeah it didnt seem to bother the BIG ONES any so I figured as much. Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes. I thought that the 02 would be popular (at least a little more) because it was the last full year of the 7.3. (thats why I got mine) but man I was stuck. With out your help I would still be standing there scratching my head

Quick Reply: 2002 Wiring Harness