Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Another emissions failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:40 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another emissions failure

As the title states I failed my emissions test with flying colors. Here's the list of recent new parts:

Distributor
Ignition Module
Pick-up sensor
Plugs
Wires
Cap & Rotor
Oxygen sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Y-pipe
Fuel, Air & Oil filters

The timing is spot on and I've got 20w-50 in her to keep oil pressure in her. There's no codes popping up but there is only 1 catalytic converter and I think it's original.

The HCs were through the roof (625% over average) but oddly was not a failure on my test. The fail part was the NOx and that was about 210% over average. The truck runs great around town and doesn't smoke. I had a power problem related to oil pressure but that got a lot better with the 50w oil. If I was to get a new direct fit OEM dual cat setup do you think I'll pass? Thanks for the help and other suggestions are welcome.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
yes put it on, the singel cat isnt even for that truck at all sence you cant by the cats for the bronco II individually i have a hunch its it for a 2.3 ranger if its fitted on there right sence they look like it could bolt up and as you would think putting a cat desinged for a 4cly on a v6 will mosy likley not pass at all its most likley clogged as well if you do have oput it on even if your not sure it will pass cuase its prolly choking the motor as well

Old 01-22-2006, 09:12 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bronocIInoob
yes put it on, the singel cat isnt even for that truck at all sence you cant by the cats for the bronco II individually i have a hunch its it for a 2.3 ranger if its fitted on there right sence they look like it could bolt up and as you would think putting a cat desinged for a 4cly on a v6 will mosy likley not pass at all its most likley clogged as well if you do have oput it on even if your not sure it will pass cuase its prolly choking the motor as well
It's the original front one from the twin cats. I just put that y-pipe on and visually it looks clear but it could be slightly carboned up or something, I'm no cat expert. I was just wondering if I can expect the kind of results I need just from the new OEM style cats? Will new cats make that much of a change?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:39 AM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
so waht your saying is the where cut apart and somone brought apipe up to the first one? im not sure but i think the two cats arent the same thing from the oem it may be a 2 stage process where the first cat dose one thing and the 2nd dose another and both combined make the exuast alot cleaner i say do it, there cant be much else to cuase this without burning oil

Old 01-23-2006, 03:14 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
so waht your saying is the where cut apart and somone brought apipe up to the first one? im not sure but i think the two cats arent the same thing from the oem it may be a 2 stage process where the first cat dose one thing and the 2nd dose another and both combined make the exuast alot cleaner i say do it, there cant be much else to cuase this without burning oil
I ordered it today but it's going to be about a week for delivery. I'll update when I try again.

Also I was wondering if fixing the timing at like 12 degrees would be better then letting it retard it?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:15 PM
yodavator
Freshman User
just a funny notion on this ive had a car fail emmisions and i just gutted the cat and she passed with flying colors

Old 01-23-2006, 04:43 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
i friend of mine sed his fathers van fialed emmisions and all he had to do was adjust the timing i dont really know what he did with the timing but it did pass. i dont think bypassing the retard function will do anything with emissions and has a chance of making the truck run like crap why would it be retarding the spark if it made it fail emmisions? right? i hav a feeling it is the cat. i woulndt trust anything not ment to be there "n*gger rigging" often results in somthing like this happening so you should put the proper cat setup in

Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
i friend of mine sed his fathers van fialed emmisions and all he had to do was adjust the timing i dont really know what he did with the timing but it did pass. i dont think bypassing the retard function will do anything with emissions and has a chance of making the truck run like crap why would it be retarding the spark if it made it fail emmisions? right? i hav a feeling it is the cat. i woulndt trust anything not ment to be there "n*gger rigging" often results in somthing like this happening so you should put the proper cat setup in
The system retards the spark automatically. You can pull a block out to make it fixed for setting the timing. Hotter timing equals hotter explosion in the combustion chamber. I'm 99% sure that would help but I don't know if it will hurt anything else.

Anybody that actually knows care to answer?

Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Update

I installed a new direct fit dual cat. I also pulled the block that locks the timing for setting it so that it wouldn't retard durring the test. Retested and passed as soon as the test started. Night and day difference!

Last edited by OSin86; 01-25-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:47 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
told you it was the cat lol

Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
told you it was the cat lol
Thanks for the help buddy!