1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 Rustbucket Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:57 AM
mrlightrail
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 Rustbucket Engine

Piddling around yesterday, getting stuff ready to pull the engine/trans out of the Rustbucket, noticed the plug wires on the engine (Merc engine)

Looks like the friggin original plug wires are still on it!!!!! FoMoCo logo on the boots, and they are as stiff as telephone poles! (No worries about firing order issues, pull off the entire set, including the separation clips, and just set em back at the end, and all will line up!

One thing I noticed is that the clips to hold the wires separate do not have any way to remove the wires short of clipping the ends off. Looks like you had to run new wire thru them, and then add the boot end to make em work...That's gonna be an issue when I put new wires on.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 PM
oscarxyz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I saw on my 48 F1 6 cyl. Wires would have to be run and then booted. I did just that. I hope I did fine with it, but have not attempted to start it since then. I got my replacement wires from autoparts store locally which were not booted. They were standard lenght, to allow you to cut to size and t hen boot. I am not going for the (exact) original look.
Good luck with your project.