Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Where are those darn glow plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:59 AM
chrisf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are those darn glow plugs?

OK, using the knowledge I've gained on this forum (thank you) I have determined that my "new to me" 2001 F250 needs new glow plugs. I've pulled the valve cover and I'm looking inside for the glow plugs. I can't find them!
If I follow the electrical wires above each cylinder I see a small brown box (a cover maybe) with wires going to it and nearby is a small cap with a white wire going to it. With all the high voltage warnings on the valve cover I'm a little apprehensive to take the brown box apart. Can anyone tell me where the plugs are before I shock the #$%^ out of myself?

P.S. Why I can't attach a picture on this forum?

Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by chrisf
OK, using the knowledge I've gained on this forum (thank you) I have determined that my "new to me" 2001 F250 needs new glow plugs. I've pulled the valve cover and I'm looking inside for the glow plugs. I can't find them!
If I follow the electrical wires above each cylinder I see a small brown box (a cover maybe) with wires going to it and nearby is a small cap with a white wire going to it. With all the high voltage warnings on the valve cover I'm a little apprehensive to take the brown box apart. Can anyone tell me where the plugs are before I shock the #$%^ out of myself?

P.S. Why I can't attach a picture on this forum?
Did u get my PM?
Nut

Old 01-16-2006, 09:56 AM
chrisf
Freshman User
Yes I got the PM. Thanks for the reply. However, just following the wires still left me unsure. Right now my guess is that it is under the brown box with the allen wrench bolts on it but I'd like someone to confirm that if possible.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:59 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Yes I got the PM. Thanks for the reply. However, just following the wires still left me unsure. Right now my guess is that it is under the brown box with the allen wrench bolts on it but I'd like someone to confirm that if possible.
Did u say the wire going to a spark plug looking device?

Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
chapguy
Senior User
The brown box you're seeing is the injector base, look to the right of there and find a small black wire. That's the glow plug. I needed a flashlight to find the first one but then could feel around for them after that. Of course, a shop light is never a bad idea under there either...especially for us guys with older eyes.
The gp's are smaller than you think and the wire is BURIED in there so look close. Sure wish I'd taken pics when I did mine. Maybe next time but I hope that's not for a LONG time.
Good Luck.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:12 AM
chrisf
Freshman User
Thank you. Thank you.

Take a look here:
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2999
To see pictures of mine. Could it be the white wire?

Old 01-16-2006, 10:22 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Thank you. Thank you.

Take a look here:
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2999
To see pictures of mine. Could it be the white wire?
Yes...the white wire. it should trace to the feedthru connector for the valve cover. The heavy guage large wires(2 on each end of connector) for glow plug
heating.
Nut

Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Miescha
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez, I didn't know I needed to remove the valve cover(s) to get to the GPs. Do I need to remove the valve covers to test the GPs too, or just to replace them?

Man, I'm a dunce.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miescha
Man, I'm a dunce.
yes dunce, you need to remove the valve covers to get to the glowplugs.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
chapguy
Senior User
Hey chrisf, if you haven't figured this out already, you need a THIN 10mm deep socket to loosen them. A piece of 1/4 tubing works well to unscrew them once they are loosened. You won't get fingers down in there so the tubing is nice. Be sure to suction out the oil around the glow plug before you pull them too.
(Danged fancy new rigs with their WHITE glow plug wires, now I just feel like I'm missing out on all the cool stuff...I want white glow plug wires....dangit....)

Old 01-16-2006, 09:01 PM
chrisf
Freshman User
Thanks for your help everyone. I worked up the courage to pull one of the glow plug boots off this afternoon. It all makes sense now. I went to Sears and got a new torque wrench and a 10mm deep socket. I've got plenty of tubing from my VO work so I think I'm ready. I'm going in after those plugs now!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
95psd
Senior User
I didn't have anything to suck the oil out from around the plugs on mine so I took the air compressor and gave them a little shot of air and blew the oil out.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
I'm going in after those plugs now!
Yeah man...tak'em out! When i get to do mine i'll be calling u!
Nut