Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Request for advice…………..but first

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
F150S/C4x496
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request for advice…………..but first

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to all for the great info I've been able to get on this forum, especially from folks like Fredvon4, Wrenchtraveller, Captchas, Monsta, Krewat, BFR25O, Ken04, NoMo, Tfalk (in no particular order) and many others as well that I’m sure I’ve missed. I’ve been sold on moving up to an F250 SuperDuty as a replacement to my current 96 F150 w/351 (I like cubes) for a while, but was unsure of what engine to order for the new truck. Info from this group has been the deciding factors for me to go with the V-10 that I ordered this week. My post # should increase once I can actually provide feedback on driving a V10 powered truck!!<O</O

That being said, I am also somewhat concerned about the number of front end vibration/death wobble threads I’ve read on the SuperDuty/Heavy Duty forum and was hoping to get some more feedback as to what other V10 owners have experienced, especially since it weighs less than the 6.0. I do have about a week to change suspension options I've chosen earlier this week, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.<O</O

Details on the new truck are: F250 CC SB Lariat 4x4 w/Camper Pkg, Snow Plow prep, FX4, 4.30 LS and Tow Command along with other non-suspension related options. I don't have a plow now, but do pull a boat that's no where close to the maximum capacity of this truck, occasionally load up with firewood, haul multiple canoes on a rack, etc. I plan to keep the truck for at least 10 years.

It would be great to hear your input on how you like the options you have on your trucks, or comments on my options selected.......it would be great to hear......I have pretty thick skin, so honest input would be great!

Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Big Cheese Stick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I REALLY hope you dont have any problems with your new truck!!! I ordered an F350 with the same options you listed four weeks ago (dont even have a build date yet). I wish us BOTH luck!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
fyrhog
Senior User
Steve,I have a 2006 DWD V-10 Auto 4:30 Camper Package.I also got the maual shift for 4x4.The truck runs and rides great.My buddy has a 6.0 and the ride is bad down the freeway,it bounces like crazy,some say its the tires others say the shocks.Take a look up in the Super Duty forum,there is a thread on the camper package with good info,Im not sure if you can get both camper pack and snow plow,the snow plow springs are the highest rating.If you have a big concern about the ride I would do some homework on the snow plow pack.Well I love my truck and yours will be a great truck for you.
Ron

Old 01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
what's another 15"...how about a 350...hell why not a dually

fx4 is kind of worthless imo...supposedly weak ls and ford rancho shocks...i dont your particulars but i would get rear sensors

Old 01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
fyrhog
Senior User
Got my truck last July,8 weeks to deliver it.It had a no#2 priority.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Big Cheese Stick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To my understanding... The snow plow package raises the front springs 2 levels, the camper package raises the front springs 1 level and adds a rear sway bar. With the V10 engine you STILL dont have the stiffest springs available! Only the F350 6.0 4X4 with at least the plow package gets the X rated springs (stiffest of the stiff).

Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Crap....Front Vibration/Death wobble...

Where,What,Why.. what did I miss..wheres the posts?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:21 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
i have yet to see any gassers with 'C' springs 6000# (X is older models 99-04)...i have 5600# springs which i think r 'D' and starting with the 05s the way the springs r selected r different than in the past...there r diesel that have lower rated springs with snow but have a smaller config

Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
i just starting reading about the thread in the super duty forum...it is about five pages

Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 PM
fyrhog
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=394714

Some good info here,hope it helps.
Ron

Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 PM
fyrhog
Senior User
Dang I screwed that link up...sorry guys.But look up in the Super duty forum,lots up there.Pull the list down and do a key word search on the topic you need info on.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by F150S/C4x496
[color=black][size=2]especially from folks like Fredvon4, Wrenchtraveller, Captchas, Monsta, Krewat, BFR25O, Ken04, NoMo, Tfalk (in no particular order)
I am grateful and humbled to be mentioned within that company. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:07 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a good list of names to be with! Thanks from me too!

First, congrats on your new truck. I hope it arrives soon & meets all of your expectations.

I read part of the "death wobble" thread, but have never experienced such a phenomenon so I haven't kept up with the post. I do remember someone saying that ALL of their company's trucks (even with 5.4L engine) wobbled, but it sure doesn't seem to be a wide-spread problem or we'd have a flood of complaints all over the place.

One thing I have experienced is "road harmonics". The worst have been in my two crew cab long-bed trucks. The '01 would bounce like crazy on concrete highways. The '05 does a little, but isn't bad. But, this is due to the wheelbase being just the right (or wrong?) length in comparison to the joints in the road. Niether of my two extended cab short bed trucks had this problem.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:09 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How the hell did I get in there?

That's like putting the Special Ed kid in with the Honor Students!

Wish you the best of luck with the new truck. I'm sure you'll love it, especially after that puppy is broken in good. Be patient with it and break it in right and you should have no issues.

Then you can put up the same boring posts as some of us do, because our trucks never give us a bunch of crazy issues.

Only concern I would have would be the snow plow prep. Are you gonna plow at all? That is gonna stiffen your ride up a little and from what you are talking about, you really don't need it. Just an opinion, it's your truck.

Good choice on the 4.30's. For what you are talking about the LS should suit you fine. For a $300 option, you'll be happy. Camper package, another good choice. Having that rear sway bar is nice. Tow Command, another good choice. Sounds like you are gonna have a real nice ride when it comes in.

Now, let's see how the wait for it to come in, is on you? Hehehehe! That's gonna be a killer! Make sure you get us some pics when it comes in.

Enjoy the new truck! I can't wait the get home and use my truck again. Even before I left, I still enjoyed getting in that truck every time.

Good Luck!

BFR

Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 304 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by BFR250SD
How the hell did I get in there?

That's like putting the Special Ed kid in with the Honor Students!
Yeah, really, what the heck?

I think the "death wobble" is a combination of things, and Ford is still trying to figure out what is causing it, as well as what to do about it. There are two TSB's out (if not three) about it, and they ARE working on it.

I question your plow package prep, and if you really need it. I have the "heavy-service suspension" on my '01. That raised the front springs (leaf) from a "S" to a "T" (and got me the overload springs in the rear). They are stiff enough for me! Yes, the front of the truck bounced quite a bit, but I put in RS9000x's and set them to 5 or 6, and they are a fine ride. I was certainly looking for a plow-prep truck when I started, test drove my '01 and found it's perfect. Just pointing out that it might be too much if you aren't going to put the added weight in the front - although it's a good way to get a Super 60 front-end depending on other options and gear ratio.

Now, I'll go further into the death wobble thing. My '01 when I got it brand-new with the stock shocks... well, let's just say when I drove to Upstate NY the first time using I-95, I-287, etc, I hit a pothole or rough road section and WHAM the thing was all over the place. Just like they describe the "death wobble" although I think I had to get it into some really rough places, and they are just hitting expansion joints. But even on them, my '01 would want to move over 3-6 inches each time.

Because of the heavy-service suspension, I had the stock steering damper which had already puked it's guts on the ground after the first 2Kmiles.

I put on 9000x's, and a single steering damper, and I can still get into bad places where the front-end starts to shake violently but it really has to be BAD. I can also ride over stuff without losing control where the original stock truck would have wound up in the woods. Guess what? It's a TRUCK with a solid front axle! Dampen, Dampen, Dampen.

Do not bother with the FX4, I've heard. Buy a set of Rancho's, Bilstein's, whatever floats your boat, and have the dealer install them before you pick it up. You'll never know the difference, and you'll be very happy with the difference.

IF you want control over bumps, get an independant front-end

Quick Reply: Request for advice…………..but first