Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone running the ATS ported shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:31 AM
lancer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running the ATS ported shroud?

I've been looking at the ATS ported shroud and was wondering if any one herer is running it. I want to know if it is worth the money. It has a 4" inlet compared to 3" stock and it has a bleed ring. Any oppinions would be appreciated Lancer!

Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I don't have it but I've heard that it's a lot noisier than the stock housing. That's some big air though.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heatstroked is running one. It is much louder and that bleeder, man the first time I heard it thought he hit the skids, it is a loud screeching sound. Sounds bad ***, would love to get one but canot justify the cost just for noise.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:17 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I don't have it but I've heard that it's a lot noisier than the stock housing. That's some big air though.
Louder?? As in good loud?? Like wicked wheel whistle or ball bearing turbo whine is good loud, type of louder? Or, "Somethin' don't sound right" type of loud?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Its a good loud!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
would love to get one but canot justify the cost just for noise
How about justify it like this: gets rid of turbo flutter and flows more air. Not just for more noise.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Its a good loud!!!
That's what I wanted to hear!! I'm leaving heavily, very, very, heavily toward getting one of these things. I need to get rid of that flutter before the motorcycle racing season starts again, as I do an awful lot of towing over the summer. And the flutter last summer was almost unbearable. But have more mods planed for the future that I think the ATS housing will be better able to support, when compared to a wicked wheel.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
here comes a dumb question, what is this flutter you speak of in the turbo? I tow heavy all the time, and havent experienced this (at least i dont think). Could you explain this?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by whitesdford
here comes a dumb question, what is this flutter you speak of in the turbo? I tow heavy all the time, and havent experienced this (at least i dont think). Could you explain this?
Is your wastegate disconnected and/or are you running the Kiwk filter? I think with the wastegate connected, the turbo won't make enough boost that flutter is a problem. Try to run a search for turbo flutter and you should find some info on it, an maybe even a sound clip. Or at least a good explanation of the sound.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I have the WW installed on my truck, I have no flutter issues and I tow a large 5th toyhauler. If I had the money I would go ATS but, since I do not have an issue now I cannot justify the cost.

Flutter, AKA surge, is when under heavy load, between usually 16-20 psi the exhaust side and intake side have a pressure difference thus causing the turbo to spin stop spin stop and it sounds quite choppy and the needle on the boost gauge is all over the place. Bad on turbos.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:03 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Here, I found a very technical definition of turbo flutter: "Blade flutter is self-excited blade vibration due to the interaction of aerodynamic and structural dynamic forces. Flutter can be a serious design problem for the manufacturers of turbomachinery as it leads to dramatic blade failure."

Now, I'm sure that doesn't really clear anything up, but it's they type of info that could help some.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Heatstroked is running one. It is much louder and that bleeder, man the first time I heard it thought he hit the skids, it is a loud screeching sound. Sounds bad ***, would love to get one but canot justify the cost just for noise.

If you are considering the ATS for eliminating surge, and you have the money, get it. The housing is a breeze to install and it does sound "bad ***" spooling up and backing off the go pedal.

Now, if you don't have the cash and you like to wrench, then get the WW for your surge issues. You'll still have some whistling.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
The wastegate is disconnected, and im running an afe stage 2 intake. At 1000 foot elevation, i can get about 25lbs of boost out of this system. Ive read that anything over 25 with a stock turbo, and its not good. Still worried about this elusive flutter...

Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I'd say you have some flutter, given the boost level you're running. The intake may be masking the sound of the flutter though. I know the 6637 doesn't mask a bit of noise from that turbo though, so I pretty much know what's going on with that turbo.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 AM
1BIGTOY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting alot of the annoying flutter when I'm pulling a load and would love to get rid of it. Where can I get more info on this ATS? thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone running the ATS ported shroud?