Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chinese Invasion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 AM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese Invasion

You have got to be kidding me...a Chinese car?!? When will it stop? We have to defend American workers against this type of invasion! I say "Buy American"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10779158/

Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The Chinese are worming into every aspect of our lives. I have been to China a few times & I have seen first-hand how it works. They are masters of copying products. They don't care about patents either. As long as Americans keep buying this stuff, we are just fueling the fire. It will bite us in the rear one day.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:37 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We all knew it would happen sooner or later. Anyway, it looks like it will mostly be competing with other Asian cars anyway. Daewoo, Kia-those types of cars. Let 'em have at it. The Koreans are worse than the Chinese anyway.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
They will be sold thru Walmarts nationwide

Old 01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
when george bush said that GM needed to be more competitive is that the reason for the ugly suburban and the price cuts?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
I will buy Japaness autos but the Chinese companies are just thieves of other peoples work.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Looking at the car they want to sell us, I don't think anyone will buy it except maybe for people in CA. Its too small and underpowered. Look at the market. The hottest selling cars are the Dodge Magnum/Chrysler 300 type cars. Americans want a V-8. I see less and less small cars on the road despite the rising gas prices (although this could be due to the fact that I live in TX, Ford pickup country). The small cars I do see a lot of are Chevy Cobalts and Ford Focuses. I will be surprised if the Chinese last more than 5 years here. Remember Daihatsu and Daewoo? They couldn't compete here either (although if you still want a Daewoo, go buy a Chevy Aveo). The Chinese have no idea what they are in for.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not assume that most of the Magnum/300 are V8's. In fact I would bet that most are not.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:04 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BrianJ77
Looking at the car they want to sell us, I don't think anyone will buy it except maybe for people in CA. Its too small and underpowered. Look at the market. The hottest selling cars are the Dodge Magnum/Chrysler 300 type cars. Americans want a V-8. I see less and less small cars on the road despite the rising gas prices (although this could be due to the fact that I live in TX, Ford pickup country). The small cars I do see a lot of are Chevy Cobalts and Ford Focuses. I will be surprised if the Chinese last more than 5 years here. Remember Daihatsu and Daewoo? They couldn't compete here either (although if you still want a Daewoo, go buy a Chevy Aveo). The Chinese have no idea what they are in for.
I don't think a V8 powered car even made the top 10 list of most sold automobiles in the US for 2005. There are cars like the Camry, Corolla, Accord, Civic and Altima though. The Chinese are hitting the most popular market.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Chinese are an immense threat to the US. I never knowingly buy anything from China. We have a $200 billion trade deficit with them for 2005. The value of the dollar is very low and the Chinese are going to end up owning more dollars than we are. We currently have the greatest national debt in the history of the planet, which is being financed by the Chinese and Japanese, megadollars that your kids will have to pay back. Probably the only way we can do it is to devalue the dollar.

When you walk out the door of your Target store, just take your purchases and dump them in the garbage can outside because all that Chinese crap will end up in a landfill in the next few weeks anyway.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:42 PM
okst1
Elder User
Originally Posted by OSin86
I will buy Japaness autos but the Chinese companies are just thieves of other peoples work.
The same could be said of the japs. When the Lexus came out, it was obviously a copy of the Mercedes styling. They are very good at copying other people's engineering and using fancy marketing ideas (developed by Americans) to get people to buy their products.

People on this board talked for days about Ford's F-150 commercials using the bulldozer's etc. but few have commented about the stupid jap commercials showing a pickup getting hit by a meteor. I could see where some unlearned teenager could be prompted in to buying a ricer because of that cool commercial.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's true, but at least we an not always throwing our money away when we buy a Japanese product.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:03 PM
okst1
Elder User
Interesting comment. So, if/when the quality of the Chinese products gets high, I guess it would then be OK to buy one of their vehicles?

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-16-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
little tow
Senior User
We need to support the North American products / jobs / economy if we are to try to maintain our economic structure.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
I’ll reserve my judgment of Chinese car quality until I see one in person. I would not be surprised if they sold well here as said the Chinese are experts at copying and they have no doubt researched this move very well. They know just what kind of market they are going into and what kind of car will sell here. Imports are grabbing more of the American car market every year. The import companies are doing something right or they would not be selling. What it comes down to is if the American car companies were taking care of business these import companies would be out of business. You can blame what ever reason you wish for this that you please.

Quick Reply: Chinese Invasion