1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

99 expedition door side moldings (help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 PM
iridelow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 expedition door side moldings (help)

My 99 expy has the paint matched side molding with the chrome inserts and the chrome is faded and looks like it has water damage. I just want to replace the chrome strip in the middle, the plastic trim is fine. I have searched everywhere and can't find them. Does anyone know where I can get them or is there a way to fix this. Even if i could replace them in black, it would look better the the faded chrome ones. Thanks for any help

Old 01-11-2006, 04:43 AM
James Schmidt
New User
I have the same problem with my 97. The dealer wants to replace the whole molding and has to get behind the door to do so. It costs more than it was worth. I considered painting them to match the rest of the paint. Never got that far with it and am learning to live with it.
James

Old 01-11-2006, 05:51 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome iridelow, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:56 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
I've heard of Expy owners peeling the entire molding off to obtain a cleaner look. I don't recall anyone mentioning any mounting holes left exposed as a result.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 AM
iridelow
New User
Originally Posted by PaulC
I've heard of Expy owners peeling the entire molding off to obtain a cleaner look. I don't recall anyone mentioning any mounting holes left exposed as a result.
You mean pull off the whole molding including the painted plastic part? I am sure this would leave holes or at least some paint damage or discoloring. Unless you are talking about removing the chrome stripping that runs down the middle of the molding..

Old 01-11-2006, 09:21 PM
iridelow
New User
side moldings

I solved my problem. I just removed the chrome stripping, primed it and painted it black. I used automotive 3-D tape a re-applied them. They look better than the chrome strips did new.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 AM
James Schmidt
New User
iridelow,
This sounds like something I'd like to try. Can you give me any tips on how you did this and what was involved in removing the chrome strip?
Thanks,
James

Old 01-12-2006, 09:20 AM
iridelow
New User
Easy, just get a small flat tip screw driver, start at the end edge and carfully pry up the chrome stripping until you can get enough to pull it all the way off. Be careful when you pull it off not bend the stripping so that it does not crack. (this is easy, don't let it worry you). Then remove the old 3-d tape, clean both the stripping and the area where you removed the stripping with some type cleaner, I used "Goo be Gone" any walmart or lowes has it cheap. I then primered (paint) them, let the primer dry then painted them with gloss black auto or plastic paint. After they dry, I used a hair dryer to speed it up, re-apply with 3-D two sided automotive tape. Total cost $16.00, total time, not counting dry time, 1 hour....AND THEY LOOK GREAT! better than the factory job.
(1 spray can of black primer paint, 1 spray can of gloss plastic auto trim paint, 3 rolls of 3-D tape and a little time) You can get it all at walmart..

Last edited by iridelow; 01-12-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:46 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
What kind of shape was the paint behind the chrome strip in? I'm considering removing the chrome strips on my Expy, but not if the paint has been affected by the adhesive.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:08 PM
iridelow
New User
I just pulled off the chrome stipping which is inside the molding, so I can't say what the paint would look like under the molding. You can not just remove the chrome stipping and leave it that way because there are several holes behind the chrome stipping and it would look like sh... I believe you could remove the whole molding and the paint would probably be fine, but due to the age of the vehicle, I am pretty sure you would be able to see where the molding was no matter how much buffing and waing you do.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:51 AM
James Schmidt
New User
iridelow,
Thanks for the good instructions. Souds like something I am going to do. I'll wait until the weather settles down a bit here in Louisiana and then give it a try. This has been bugging me for a long time.
James

Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 AM
iridelow
New User
You will be very happy with it. I felt the bad chrome trim made my Expy look years older until I repainted the trim black, now the Expy looks so much better.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:19 AM
bigjace8
Junior User
you can remove hte entire moulding on the doors and not have any mounting holes. if there is some discoloration try to buff out the doors

Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
kwegman003
Junior User
has anyone tried removing them

cleaing them up/sanding and then using a chrome paint instead of black. I have a lot of chrome on the expedition and im not sure if black would look good or not. I am also considering a stainless brush guard this summer and that might clash with the black. I know they make metallic silver spray cans but not sure about how long they shine.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
420Dude
New User
great advice! Any pics it'll help us all thinking of this.

Quick Reply: 99 expedition door side moldings (help)