1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ceramic coated headers install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ceramic coated headers install

Recently I purchased a set of Sanderson ceramic coated headers for my 55 F100, 351 Cleveland. The motor has been in the truck for awhile and has about twenty five hundred miles on it since the rebuild. Have aslo recently added a Holley 670CFM carb with two inch riser and about everthing else you can bolt on new, ie, plugs, wires, coil, etc. I have been told do not install those new headers on unless the engine has been timed and the carb set, if running to rich can potentially blue or discolor the new headers. Still waiting on a Griffin radiator so have not had a chance to do either but before I took her down she started as soon as you touch the ignition she started and ran perfect. Have some time to kill waiting on the radiator and would like to get those headers mounted, need to rework the pipes from the header to the mufflers, a little fabrication not much.

So, my rather long winded question is am I taking a chance of dicoloring the new headers or have enough of you done this to think I am ok to install?

Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe -

I have ceramic coated headers on my 351C. I have never heard of such a thing. The ceramic coating is pretty bulletproof. I can't see how running rich hurts anything.

I would install them. If they did discolor, I would tell folks it was "a new ceramic process...and no, I can't remember where I got them...but pretty cool, huh?"

Make sure you run it at least once with just the headers on. Nothing like that uncapped blast...at least once, just for the neighbors.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,949 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Joe -

Make sure you run it at least once with just the headers on. Nothing like that uncapped blast...at least once, just for the neighbors.
Once???? just once??? say it isn't so, some of the neighbors might be a bit hard of hearing, you might have to run it a few times, even drive it around the block so that they all get the full effect of those babies.
In all fairness for those that might be a little hard of nearing, maybe a little bit of tires smoke would help them to fully appreciate the truck
(hehehehehe)

Bobby

Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 AM
fordgo
Senior User
I could see it blueing chromed headers but not ceramic headers never heard of ceramic headers go blue

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.— Oscar Wilde

gee ooh

Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
straight pipes

been running harleys for years with straight pipes outta my garage so I am sure the neighbors are used to it by now...... thanks for the input will hook em up

Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Dave58
Senior User
We're getting to the point of new exhaust system on my '58 F-100 with 292 V-8 with an Edelbrock 500 cfm sitting on a Blue Thunder intake, and I'm embarassed to admit this. I never thought of running straight headers until this post. But now, the devil's horns are starting to show through my bald head. I love this group!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,949 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Dave,
You don't have to keep it as open headers, just enough to let everyone around know that the crazy guy that is always out tinkering in his garage is actually doing something

Bobby

Old 01-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hook em up Joe. They won't blue. Also, I hope the bed caps have arrived. You can get started welding on those while you await the arrival of the radiator. Jag

Old 01-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Hey, Joe -

Just checked out your gallery. Lucille is puurrrty! Nice job on patching the spare tire well. That new radiator setup is really nice. I am very partial to 351C's.

Those valve covers are killer! What are they? Where did you get them? Were they very pricey?

Old 01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
joe hoffman
Senior User
bed caps

they arrived and are installed and have the first coat of filler and primer ready to finsh. thanks again....

Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
That is nice. I wondered if anyone had "patched" the spare tire well. Mine needs it.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:37 AM
TBucketJack
Senior User
That only applies to chromed headers. Install them, fire it up, and give the neighbors the sound of the "loud pedal" Good Luck

Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 AM
nixer
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Once???? just once??? say it isn't so, some of the neighbors might be a bit hard of hearing, you might have to run it a few times, even drive it around the block so that they all get the full effect of those babies.
In all fairness for those that might be a little hard of nearing, maybe a little bit of tires smoke would help them to fully appreciate the truck
(hehehehehe)

Bobby
i drove my camaro 250miles with just a cat on the highway once it was damn loud and was way meaner

Old 01-11-2006, 05:31 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
spare tire patch

found a 25$ fender at Turkey Rod Run in November that was a piece of junk everywhere except the upper fender area. Overcut the donor fender trimmed and fit it in and stitch welded it to minimze warping. A little body filler and lots of sanding, so far was a better decision than spending 325$ on a new fender and is all metal.............

Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Fordgo and TBucketJack - Discoloration would be of concern with chrome headers.
Bruce

Quick Reply: ceramic coated headers install