Sponsored by: Moser

my carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 06:19 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my carburetor

Recently got my truck runs pretty good but...it starts strong, idles relatively good, however when under way sometimes seems to bog down, stutter, hucklebuck, whatever you want to call it as depress the accelerator going uphill or down, on flats, whatever. If I mash it, the truck responds and takes off like a shot, but if I let off, it goes back to stuttering. I can continue along it just seems to rob my power. Have been told to pull the carburetor and rebuild to start. Please advise, good with mechanical stuff, newbie on experience. Thanks so much.

Old 10-10-2001, 09:07 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
my carburetor

hey!
before you start rebiulding your carb, you might want to check your fuel filter make sure it's not cloged, cheak your timing, spark plugs and wires and check the distrubtor and rotar. To rebuild a carburator is very complicated, but if you know what your doing it's easy. or you can always try buying a can of gunks carb cleaner from walmart (it cheapist there) and try cleaning it. if you decide to rebiuld the carb my advice if you have no idea is to buy a rebiuld kit and if nessiary buy a repair manual on carbs. is your carb a carter yf1 barrel, holley eldebrock or what?
hope this helps.

Old 10-11-2001, 08:00 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
my carburetor

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Oct-01 AT 09:02 PM (EST)[/font][p]I checked in the paperwork from when I bought it, the older fella I bought from had new fuel pump,lines, and filter installed at a shop. This was back in March. The plugs and wires are also new, what do I need to check for on the roter? Cracks maybe? The wires seem to be snug and I havn't pulled the plugs yet to see if they are fouled or if they are telling another story. I had some carb cleaner handy, pulled air cleaner and hosed her down real good, inside and out, is there a good way to do it? I thought it ran a little smoother, but it was back to trouble a day or two later. Think I should take the fuel filter off and check it out anyway? This truck doesn't get driven much, I don't think it would be clogged up yet. Damn, I need an older brother or something. Thanks for the comments and advise folks. The carb is a holley, think a four barrel, don't know model, is there a tag or stmp somewhere? Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2001, 06:01 PM
sag
New User
my carburetor

you might want to check your float level this problem happened to me and we found that the level was set to high.this is quite easy to adjust there is imformation on adjusting holleys on their web site www.holley.com also check your filter in the holley they often have one on the fuel inlet inside the holley itself check out this web i found lots of imformation in this site.

Old 10-12-2001, 06:15 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
my carburetor

THanks for the info guys, will let you know results over the weekend. Blair

Old 10-13-2001, 11:20 AM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
my carburetor

check the distrubutor for cracks, along with the rotar. do you know if your spark plugs are gapped correctly.
i had a similar problem with my 78 ford. heavy on gas, robbed me of my power, but if i floored it i'll fly, but it would stall , and run just really crappy. i cleaned the carb with carb cleaner while the truck was running, put the timing on my 300 6 to 10 tdc new plugs and wires, new coil. also maybe your trucks mixture aint set right. after all those simple things now my 78 runs nice and qiuet (for a truck) and has power. hope this helps
keep us informed pal.
l8r

Old 10-14-2001, 11:46 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my carburetor

I'm with the Vampire. You could have a Vacuam leak, old cracked vacuam lines, bad Dist. Cap, leaking spark plug wires....etc etc. I'd do all that stuff before I messed with a good carb.
Dont forget to look at the Gasket under the Carb. Backfiring can blow that one out. Then you have a constant vacuam leak.

While your messing about under the hood, check your compression, and let it idle with a vacuam guage connected for awhile.

If that guage bobbles once in awhile, or very often, you could have a leaking intake valve (Sticking also) which will cause a vacuam drop on acceleration. That keeps the Ign timing from increasing just when you really need it.

If it's a sticking Valve stem, a couple of Oil changes with some kind of additive MIGHT solve the problem.

Old 10-14-2001, 11:47 AM
ecarter50
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my carburetor