1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Question on Stepside vs Flareside box change

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question on Stepside vs Flareside box change

I am looking for some information on switching from a Flareside to a Stepside, if possible.

First of all I am looking for a different truck (right now 86 ext cab 302 AOD 4x4) and have given some thought as to a regular cab, short wheelbase rig. I am only interested in a 1986, 302 AOD 4x4 model Stepside model. Picky I know. And I am having a bit of trouble finding what I want that is not either rusted out or not equipped with the what I want in the drivetrain.

BUT I do see a fair amount of shortwheel base Flareside models, so my exact question is -----> can a flareside box be removed and a stepside box subsituted? Are the frame mounts the same, or for that matter even though the same wheelbase, is the rear of the frame the same? Has anyone here done this swap?

Thanks in advance, David

Old 01-06-2006, 07:24 AM
rhodie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an fyi, that Ford stepsides are called flaresides. The frames are the same, and the beds are bolted to the same holes as with the normal beds (fleetside). I'm not so sure about differences in bumpers or gas filler necks, if any.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
chris12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to do the box change to a flaresides. and i was also told that its a direct bolt up but i may be wrong.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhodie
Just an fyi, that Ford stepsides are called flaresides. The frames are the same, and the beds are bolted to the same holes as with the normal beds (fleetside). I'm not so sure about differences in bumpers or gas filler necks, if any.
Well, so I am a complete idiot on what is a flareside vs a styleside. Thank you for getting the idea on what I want to do.

David

Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
A flareside is a Ford, a stepside is a chevy. Not sure what dodge calls theirs. Do dodges even have flaresides?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Ford Stepside up till '86.
Ford Flareside after '90.
A 'Stepside" has "dog ear" brakelights (hang off the sides no matter who made it) and chains for the tailgate. That's a stepside.
Flaresides have the brakelights "molded" into the body and no chains.
(to me not as good looking)
Reamer
1986 Ford Stepside 4x4
302EFI, AOD, AC, Cruise, Tilt, Interval wipers, PW, PL, Slider
In the gallery