What should I look for???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I look for???

I have been looking into a supercharger for my 01 Supercrew (4.6L). My biggest problem is I am not 100% sure what I should be looking for as I have found allot of different options.

I would prefer something that would give me more power at the low end as well as high end, but I would like something fairly easy to install as well.

From what I gather the Centrifugal systems are the simplest to install, but it doesn't give me allot at low ends.

It seems that the twin screw or roots system would give me my low end, but they look like they are difficult to install.

I don't really want to do a gear change as it will still be a daily driver, and the 3.55's are perfect for the freeway in this truck.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction and what I should be looking for in a supercharger kit?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
A twin screw is quite popular for a truck that size. A centrifigual can make the same boost down low with the right pulleys, but a good fuel system is needed to support the power it will then make up top.
I think the gears you have will be fine, anything taller and you'll probably see a drop in gas milage.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I have looked at a few centrifugal systems that come with upgraded fuel pumps and tuners. Would I also need to replace my injectors and fuel lines.

Another question I had was regarding exaust. I currently have dual exaust on the truck, but I have heard I may need headers and high flow cats. Is this true.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Blurry94
You can run your stock exhaust, but with a blower, it'll be a bottleneck. Headers will definatley help and aftermarket cats too, but they can be pricy too.

The application will largely depend on the primary use of your vehicle. Is it a daily driver, weekend warrior, do you tow and/or haul with it? What kind of power are you trying to obtain?

Old 01-06-2006, 03:05 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The fuel lines should be fine, but the stock injectors on a 4.6 won't be able to deliver the amount of fuel you will be after.
On the plus side, because it is a mustang engine too, you should be able to find injectors pretty easy.

You won't need headers and I wouldn't bother about high flow cats yet.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:16 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Thanks so much for the responses so far.

The truck will mostly be a daily driver for now, with future plans for it later. I don't tow much anymore but the most I would probably pull on a regular basis is a 2-4 place snowmobile trailer when I do tow.

The link below is the one I was looking at. What are your thoughts?

http://www.proficientperformance.com...&Store_Code=PP

Old 01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Blurry94
The ATI is an excellent unit/kit. The most poplular fuel system upgrade is a set of 42lb injectors and a GEN 2 Lightning mass air meter. They both drop right in and they will support quite a bit of power if you're looking to expand later on down the road. Another upgrade to consider would be your fuel pump(s).

Have you also checked out a Kenne Bell? They're nice units and work well for street applications.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget a chip will help bring the package together. MotorHaven can hook you up there.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:14 AM
uuranium
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just out of curiosity, couldn't you find a used 03 or 04 cobra supercharger and fuel system and use that?