Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do i spy a van turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Do i spy a van turbo?

before writing, i please ask no one to "cut my throat" bidding on this, if it is what i think it is.

i have come across a great deal, what i think is a "van" turbo for our trucks. it is a "little" bit dirty, and im not sure if i can distinguish between it being a van turbo or not. went searching- found out two points that make me believe it is a van unit. three bolt ebpv housing, and no wastegate. this makes me believe it is also 1.15A/R exhaust housing. please help me decide if i should go for this, if it is. it is VERY cheap (hint- there is another one just like this on another auction, with the intake design like the OBS (no intercooler) which makes me believe it is from a van, even more. thanks.

now thinking, if worse comes to the worst, i can just steal the 1.15 exhaust housing off of this, it is cheap enough, right? ( i also know about the adapter i need for $100 from DI)

ebay listing number is 8027498712 for one, and 8027498769 for the one I WANT. please bid on the other one if you are to get one, because i "claim" the second one.

thanks!

Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock 94-97 trucks have a three bolt EBV housing and a 1.15 exhaust housing with no wastegate.

They both look like stock OBS turbo's to me, and badly abused ones at that.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what gains can be expected with a van or an obs turbo?

PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
before writing, i please ask no one to "cut my throat" bidding on this, if it is what i think it is.

i have come across a great deal, what i think is a "van" turbo for our trucks. it is a "little" bit dirty, and im not sure if i can distinguish between it being a van turbo or not. went searching- found out two points that make me believe it is a van unit. three bolt ebpv housing, and no wastegate. this makes me believe it is also 1.15A/R exhaust housing. please help me decide if i should go for this, if it is. it is VERY cheap (hint- there is another one just like this on another auction, with the intake design like the OBS (no intercooler) which makes me believe it is from a van, even more. thanks.

now thinking, if worse comes to the worst, i can just steal the 1.15 exhaust housing off of this, it is cheap enough, right? ( i also know about the adapter i need for $100 from DI)

ebay listing number is 8027498712 for one, and 8027498769 for the one I WANT. please bid on the other one if you are to get one, because i "claim" the second one.

thanks!
Hell yeah...if your looking for more top end power. $150 wouldn't kill the bank account.

Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 843 Likes on 641 Posts
Just get a new 1.15 housing and change it out.
Would that work?

Old 01-04-2006, 08:12 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hucka1a
what gains can be expected with a van or an obs turbo?
The big 1.15 A/R exhaust housing will create more top end power and lower egt's by flowing more exhaust. Probably change exhaust sound too.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:12 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Cookie - nothing special.... Man those things look beat - those intake sides are pretty dis-colored looking!! Could be a big paper weight....

Plus - the one you're looking at... no wastegate on the exhaust side that I can see - yet the intake side has the tabs for the wastegate canister???? I'd skip out

Last edited by CAT_man_963; 01-04-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
good thing i asked my good buddies at FTE!

i understand you cookie, but what made me think it is a new one, is the fact that the mounting flange to the up pipe collector is the clamp on V band style, not the bolt on style like the old ones.

now i am thinking, if that IS a van turbo, is to buy it for $50 when it goes off, and not use the turbo itself, just jack the exhaust housing and buy a adapter from DI. i looked on their site, and it is $399 for the exhaust housing alone. i can get one for $50, why not. maybe sell the parts out on ebay and regain some lost $$. the cast iron part of the turbo is the strongest, last to fail right? i would keep what i have now of my turbo, and swap the exhaust housings. keep the cartridge, middle section, and compressor side.

one more thing i ask- IS this a 1.15A/R housing for sure? if so, its mine.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Does an exhaust housing take a beating? Could the inside surface be in bad shape and is it repairable? Some questions i would have. To bad u couldn't examine it more closely.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:51 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
That's a good eye....it may be a van turbo after all.

If the exhaust wheel has made contact with the housing it's toast....That's abut the only beating it could take.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
yes, i looked at it for a while, making sure i had all the bases covered. well, looks like im bidding on one of them. can you say $150 van turbo! ($50 for the turbo and $100 for the adapter (no EBPV too)

PS- the guy said it spins over freely, so i assume it is good. thanks for the help guys. did it again.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:02 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Plus $100 for the rebuild kit, plus $150 to have it balanced.....

Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
makes me think of a quote from Chuck Arnold:

"The turbocharger that comes stock on the PowerStroke diesel is prone to some chronic problems. At our shop we see at least two engines a week where the bolts that secure the turbo exhaust housing to the center section are coming loose. About once a month we see a turbo fail due to all the bolts loosening and permitting the exhaust impeller to hit the housing. I am not talking about performance enhanced engines. These bolts are loosening and falling out on stock engines. It is quite interesting that we have seen no bolts come loose at all after installation of Gale Banks turbine exhaust housings which are part of upgrade kits we install for our customers. The engineering staff at Banks has told me the stock bolts are falling out due to machining tolerance problems with the stock Ford exhaust housings. If your turbine exhaust housing starts to come loose you are at least going to lose efficiency and more likely lose your turbo. If you don’t catch the problem in time you may lose your engine.

KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED!
NUT

Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
you think so? im buying the whole turbo, just for the exhaust housing. how can that cause my good turbo on my truck now to need rebuilding and rebalancing? after i take the exhaust housing off, i can just junk the turbo for all i care.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be fine with just a housing. It'd be like putting an ATS compressor housing on. No rebuild or balance necessary there, right?

If what Nut said about the bolts backing out, I would look into getting the locking safety bolt set, I think I saw it on the DI site. Wouldn't be that hard if you're going to have the turbo off the truck anyway.

Quick Reply: Do i spy a van turbo?