1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Group Tech Article Ready for Viewing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
from Bobby's post...........

"Just a small comment on the Mopar columns as a general FYI (for any and all out there). The Mopar and the GM tilt columns (which basically all the aftermarket columns are based on) are the same. I think they were manufactrued by Saginaw."

I'd mention something vaguely like this..

Steering column from RWD Chrysler products 1976-89. Key on column. Correct spline on the rag joint if you are using a Mopar based IFS.

Wouldn;t have to mention it, but just as an aside, this column is a better fit than many of the other columns mentioned in the article as it tends to be shorter. Unfortunately it comes with a stupid looking ignition key onboard.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by fatfenders
from Bobby's post...........

"Just a small comment on the Mopar columns as a general FYI (for any and all out there). The Mopar and the GM tilt columns (which basically all the aftermarket columns are based on) are the same. I think they were manufactrued by Saginaw."

I'd mention something vaguely like this..

Steering column from RWD Chrysler products 1976-89. Key on column. Correct spline on the rag joint if you are using a Mopar based IFS.

Wouldn;t have to mention it, but just as an aside, this column is a better fit than many of the other columns mentioned in the article as it tends to be shorter. Unfortunately it comes with a stupid looking ignition key onboard.
AMEN!
I've used a Chryco Column from [I believe] a '85-'86 Chrysler New Yorker Fith Avenue and as a Novice Restorer I felt it was a good fit and relatively easy install...just needed about a 6" piece of stainless steel "D" stock between the column and box.

...and about the dumb key... anyone found a viable way to graft a Mercury or Ford Key end to the Chryco shaft?

GW

Old 01-11-2006, 07:09 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ferguson777
Mopar column not recommended. – While it’s somewhat counter to the intent of the article, I guess in light of the high level of use of the “Volare” IFS, one can expect that many would think of using the mopar column, so o.k. I’ll work something in.
Ferg,

Thanks. It's tempting to try and use the Mopar column because it is perfect in length for a 48-52 and it's free if you buy a donor for your front suspension but the lack of wiring kits for it and other shortcomings make it a poor choice and I wanted others to avoid making the same mistake I did by using it.

Vern

Old 01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Bob

Are you still planning on adding a section on power steering conversion?

Old 01-11-2006, 12:10 PM
johnsf
Senior User
Two thumbs up...looks great
maybe something on glass replacement ?

John F.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:33 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Ferg,

Thanks. It's tempting to try and use the Mopar column because it is perfect in length for a 48-52 and it's free if you buy a donor for your front suspension but the lack of wiring kits for it and other shortcomings make it a poor choice and I wanted others to avoid making the same mistake I did by using it.

Vern
Vern brings up another good point worth a sentence in the column section. If you use anything other than an older GM column, it is worth it to buy a GM column conversion kit. I paid about five bucks for one. Painless P/N is 30805. All wiring harness vendors should have them. Includes the proper pieces so you can correctly plug in a Ford, Mopar, or anything else that fits column into the aftermarket harnesses. Providing the wiring isn't weird like you might find on a foreign car. I'm not trying to sell Mopar columns here. I have a Flaming River. But there wasn't anything functionally wrong with the Chrysler column I removed.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walston,

The Toyota steering box adaptation is a separate, stand-alone article. It is actually going to George tonight.

Johnsf,

Sorry, but other than minor edits/corrections I don’t plan any new additions/topics for this article. I know I have put at least 30 hours into it already(possibly more) and George and Himmelberg have put some time into it as well. I’m not prepared to put much more of my time into it (need my time to make progress on my dash install – real work, not an article) and this article was intended to address the major FAQs not already covered by the IFS and rear end articles, but not every possible thing….

Lastly, when I’m writing about something I don’t have much/any first hand experience with, I have to rely on what others have done and written about. If the material isn’t there or I haven’t done it, then I can’t write it up.

‘fenders,

I appreciate all these wee updates from you. Just wish you could keep focussed long enough to put them all out here at one time. I know AADD isn’t easy to control, but we’re trying to go to press here….

Later,

Old 01-11-2006, 04:37 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 716 Likes on 257 Posts
Hey folks...

in defense of my cuz.... he politely danced around this in his post.. This FAQ is not a collection of all information available on all ford related subjects... it was simply meant to be a list of Frequently Asked Questions that the newbies and those of us with CRS keep asking.

some of the subjects submitted would make wonderful technical articles and would take several pages and many photos to be useful.

We need to consider this FAQ a cheat sheet for the main subjects... not the term paper you didn't write till the last minute.

Kicking my soapbox back under my truck....

john

BTW... if I haven't said it before Cuz, George and Peter.... outstanding work and thanks for all the time you guys invested in this... now could you just add one tinsy little thing... How to build the cheapest hottest 460 in the world... with all the possible permutations please ???

Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Thanks John.

(Didn't think I'd ever be accused of being too subtle )

Yes, this FAQ thing should be thought of a "What to". It was never intended to be a "How to".

This article is really just a careful summary of about 1,100 threads from which we gleaned the cream and summarized it. We agreed it would help us (regulars and newbies alike) trying to find out what works and what doesn't or what others have done or haven't. It should cut down on lengthy searches for a lot of people. Now people can read the FAQs and then do searches or ask questions on the possibilites they're most interested in.

It would be good to see more tech articles on some of these subjects, although John has already done several (column, gas tank & others) and some others simply aren't that difficult.

I would still love to see someone do a tech article on installing bear claws (with lots of pics plse!!!).

BTW -

I would think that the final version will end up be included via a link in George's references thread up top. In the first revision we are adding links within this tech article to other links that are already in George's thread. That may sound like an endless loop, but there's a reason for it;

We tend to think of this forum as our own private little world, where only we can see in. If someone goggle's the right phrase, they pull up our tech articles and even our threads..... The looped links will help those folks get to know about our resources here..... (Aren't we thoughtful?)

This is not meant to stifle discussion/suggestions/criticism, just to clarify our mission. So continue....

Thanks,

Old 01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Fergie,

I went back and re-read the document to find that little error I found when reading the first time but forgot where it was.

Radiator Section - line 3 reads:
Although you can take some measurements and pull something at a wrecking yard, but you may be getting a leaky radiator with little or no guaranty on it.?

I suspect that you intended to omit either the word "Although or the word "but" to make it read as you intended.

For something as invovled as this, I think you did a wonderful job. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:08 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 716 Likes on 257 Posts
bear claw... not the kind you eat

here's the beginning.... haven't put the post in the doors yet but the latches are complete

cuz

Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 PM
johnsf
Senior User
Earl, when I try to print the articles at home none of the seat brackets pics printed, but when I did it at work they printed fine. Any ideas what my home computet is missing that my old computer at work has to be able to print? Must be some software that I didn't download maybe?
Thanks,
John F.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
‘fenders,

" I appreciate all these wee updates from you. Just wish you could keep focussed long enough to put them all out here at one time. I know AADD isn’t easy to control, but we’re trying to go to press here…."

Sorry about that RMF. Guess I'm not here enough to know what you're doing. I won't distract you anymore.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'fenders, I think he was just ribbing you. It's good to see your comments and counsel. Jag

Last edited by Jag Red 54; 01-12-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
George,

Radiator Section - line 3 reads:

Although you can take some measurements and pull something at a wrecking yard, but you may be getting a leaky radiator with little or no guaranty on it.?

Plse change it to;

”You can take some measurements and pull something at a wrecking yard, but you may be getting a leaky radiator with little or no guaranty on it. “

(Thanks Texan for catching that.)

Cuzin John,

Bear Claws. Can’t access it from work but assuming it’s progressing at your normal standards, THANKS!

‘fenders,

Ah, lighten up buddy. Just busting your chops. Are the constant bullets whizzing by your head effecting your sense of humour?

Later,

Quick Reply: Group Tech Article Ready for Viewing