General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Question for all you gun carriers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 AM
johncfox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for all you gun carriers

I have a remington 870 shotgun. It has all the bells and whistles including a 7 shell extension, 18 inch police barrel, collapsable stock with pistol grip (law enforcement issue), tactical forend with light, heat shield, etc. I am planning on using it primarily as a home defense gun, however i would like to transport it with me frequently. I do not want to lose my gun, and i'd rather not be put in jail so I am just wondering what the laws are concerning transportation. It will be unloaded of course. What I am wondering is, can I purchase a police issue shotgun holder with lock (the kind that the police mount in between the two front seats) and carry my gun that way? Or is that sure to get me some flak from johnny law?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:30 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Contact your local Sheriff's or Police Dept.and have them address your questions. Probably thru the information officer?

On legal matters such as this it is important that you get legal authority for your answers.

"A guy on the internet told me I could..." ain't gonna get your cuffs off in a timely manner.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Keith said. The different States and Local laws vary wildly.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
johncfox, Would this site help?

http://www.packing.org/state/

Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Depends on the state. If you build a custom steel box with a lock, not easily visible (stored under a seat), and keep the gun unloaded (with shells readily available) you are usually good to go in most states. The big concern is if you go for a gun, the cop wants enough time to shot you and they do not want people hunting from vehicles (people or animals).

Example from that site in GA:

Georgia Code 16-11-126

(d) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I echo everything written above this post. Every word.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Badgerflat
New User
Carry laws depend on your own federal, state, county and city, each can have their own "special rules", / ordinances. While your choice in weapons is great one. Carrying a gun can often cause alot more problems than not. Not to be pestimistic, but more than one officer of the law has used it against a motorist. Lucky, the use of video cameras has changed that some. Until about 5 years ago you could carry a loaded pistol on your side in my hick town, great policy except the majority people that chose to do it were the type that probably shouldn't have a gun period. Make certain you check out with all the above mentioned (I would get it in writing myself) , don't just accept ones thoughts/opinions. Certainly do not just ask a officer of the law, Many times they are not as savvy on the law, that is why we have lawyers you know. I worked in bailbonds, repossession, and warrants. More than one time we ran into officers " that knew the law", yet wound up losing in court because of their failure to know what civil rights and the laws actually were. Just in case anyone thinks I am being negative towards law enforcement officers, no I am not , just truthful. Like any group of people there are bad ones as well as good ones, informed ones and hotshots with a gun. I would rather see someone well informed rather than setting in prison or shot because of the alternative.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Why not just get a CCW permit. In the long run it saves time as well as a lot of hassle and paper work.
The last cop that pulled me over seen my right to carry license asked me if I had a gun with me when I said no he asked why in a very freindly tone. It seemed like he was encouraging me to carry.

Last edited by Chris_ce; 01-04-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 PM
okst1
Elder User
It's considered a "long gun" so their should be no issues with carrying it in your vehicle in the state of Alabama. I would use a lockable type gun rack located just above your head in the ceiling of the pickup.